What is difference in rear axle ratio

Buford_Dawg

Probably a dumb question, but I'm looking at a truck and it has a 4.10 rear axle ratio .vs. the standard 3.42. It costs several hundred dollars more and sales person says it will help in towing more weight. He said it might decrease gas miledge a mile or so per gallon. Anything else I should know. This is a chevy 1500 truck.

bull0ne

Banned
The 3.42 will allow the engine to run at less RPM's at a given speed,thus saving gas.... but it puts the engine lower in the torque range too......if you plan on regularly pulling a substantial load or going to larger tires....which BTW effectively raises the ratio even higher......i would spend the $$$ to get the 4.10 gears.

My .02 worth.

raghorn

The simplest way I know to explain it is, with a 4.10 ring and pinion your engine will run at a higher RPM than a 3.42 at the same highway speed, and higher RPM's makes more horsepower. Make sense? Fuel mileage will suffer some.

dixie

Perry Hayes said:
Yes the lower gears will give you more performance but your gas mileage will suffer with gears that low.
Yup. I had a GMC with a 4.10 rear end, it'd pull stumps but it got 8 MPG loaded or not!. The one I have now has a 3.73 in it and I'm happy with it, fair gas mileage and its rated to tow 7500 lbs. I think I'd look at a different dealership, I've not heard of the rear end making that much difference in the cost, mine was just a part of the towing pkg

Last edited:

Hunter450

Gears

I'v owned many Chevrolets and there should be no cost increase for different gear ratios. However, there will be a cost increase for limited slip differential. I would highly suggest the LSD. I like the 3.73 ratio in a half ton pickup, a good all around gear. With the tow/haul mode engaged in the chevy it will pull like a champ up to 5000 lbs.

My $.02 woth

Hunter450

rayjay

Most duallys with big tall tires use 4.10s. I always order 3.42 or 3.55 for all our trucks. You only need that low of a gear if you are towing a real heavy, boxy load ALL the time.

A 4.10 will lower the gas mileage way more than 1 or 2 mpg. It would be good for dragracing, though :rofl:

What kind of towing are you planning on ?

What size motor ?

My wife tows her horse trailer with a 97 Dodge van, 360 motor, auto tranny of course, 3.55 gears. Lock out the OD for towing .

rj

GeauxLSU

Salesman....

Buford_Dawg said:
He said it might decrease gas miledge a mile or so per gallon.
And it 'might' be a 'little' warm and humid in south Louisiana this July.

Buford_Dawg

Thanks for the input

It sounds like I need to look at another truck and get the 3.42 or 3.55. I don't tow my camper much, bout 5 times per year, rest of year is traveling back and forth to work so I need good gas milege then.

jfinch

4.10 will help it tow better but the 3.42 will work fine for what a 1500 can tow. Just remember it is not what you can pull it is what you can stop. If you are going to be pulling big heavy trailers you need a big heavy truck.

If a lift and 35" tires are in your plans get the 4.10's they will help pushing the big tires around. I think it will hurt your mileage more than 1 or 2 mpg. I had a 1500 with 3.73 and a friend a an identical one with 3.42 he got about 5 mpg better than I could.

Meriwether Mike

That 4.10 gear will put a hurt on your gas mileage even with the OD. I would go with a 3.55 or the 3.42.

CRANEMAN

a mile or so ?

You'll definately have more pulling power with the 410, but I think the "mile or so" is an understatement.

40fakind

Axle Ratio

I own a pickup with 3.36 axle ratio. Overdrive transmission. Pulls fine. I think a gentleman said that you should be concerned about stopping earlier. He hit the nail on the head. Trailer brakes are a plus. I would ask where peak torque is in the rpm range. Torque pulls the load and if the 3.42s are there then go for it.