What Is The Best Oil / Lube to use on your guns?

jimmy.444

M PRO 7 on my ar and auto pistols. REM oil for everything else. I like hoppes #9 powder solvent down the barrel and i recently used hoppes gun medic for my gummed up GP100 that had been sitting for a while. I worked really good.
I like the M PRO 7 on my carry pistols because it doesn’t smell.

doomtrpr_z71

My oil choice is rotella t synthetic, if I want a clp I use break free clp just because it's cheap and I got a gallon from Amazon for $14.99. Slip 2000ewl is my choice for a doall but it's not cheap and until I'm running a beltfed I won't buy it again. I have a bunch of lucas gun oil samples somewhere that I haven't tried. The best gun grease is cotton picker spindle grease, though I do have aeroshell for ar assembly and I can't tell where it does any better than lucas redntacky grease. Froglube is the most overated thing on earth, it's 99% coconut oil, maybe fireclean is more overated since it's canola oil.

Last edited:

B. White

I have used nothing but Ballistol over the past 5 years. Hunted a good bit in the rain. No Problems. Handguns, ML, rifle, shotgun.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Ballistol and water (moose milk) is great for cleaning corrosive ammo residue out of guns.

Mattval

Slip 2000 is expensive but it is really something.
CLP
Ballistol

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Weapon Shield is my go to lubricant , bore cleaning and wipe down oil. But I do use a variety of others depending upon what it is I need accomplished.
Ballistol, Boretech products, Slip 2000, Hoppes #9, lighter fluid, all get use from me also.
I used to use Remoil and some others but long term storage had shown me after the oil evaporates and gummy gunk varnish left in its place.

Reactions: Dub

doomtrpr_z71

Ballistol didn't impress me much, I despised it's smell though I did like using it on my reloading presses. The alkalinity is nice for neutralising corrosive primer salts and the emulsion in water is a neat trick, but it's a mineral oil/canola oil mixture.

Dr. Strangelove

After reading a current post about a gunked up revolver I though now would be a good time to get and idea on the best oils and lubes for servicing our firearms. We can't shoot much due to ammo shortage so lets get together and clean'm up for when we can shoot all we can afford. I have use d WD 40 for years and I have been told a number of times it is not good for guns, but I have not had any problems from it. Now I have to say it is not the only thing I use. My primary lube is Break Free Mil Spec. CLP. To me if it is good enough for the military with all their weapons it should be good enough for me. I have use up several gallons over the years. I also keep Rem Oil in the truck tool boxes along with lite machine oil.

I have put some of my shotguns and deer rifles though some had times. Duck hunting out of a boat is hard on a shotgun and when you throw in coastal duck hunting, salt air and water well get one in bad shape over night. A friend and I hunted a coastal island a few years back and after the hunt he put his gun in a case. He called me a week later for a morning dove shoot, when we got to the field and he pulled his shotgun out of the case it was completely covered in rust. I mean enough rust to turn your hand red. After taking the gun apart and wiping it down we made the shoot, but the gun was ruined. I fixed it as best as I could by steel wooling all the steel and painting it with Rust O Lim paint. It didn't look to bad, he still uses the shotgun.

Boeshield T-9 my friend. If I was going to take a blued firearm into a coastal climate, I'd wipe it down with Boeshield first.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My oil choice is rotella t synthetic, if I want a clp I use break free clp just because it's cheap and I got a gallon from Amazon for $14.99. Slip 2000ewl is my choice for a doall but it's not cheap and until I'm running a beltfed I won't buy it again. I have a bunch of lucas gun oil samples somewhere that I haven't tried. The best gun grease is cotton picker spindle grease, though I do have aeroshell for ar assembly and I can't tell where it does any better than lucas redntacky grease. Froglube is the most overated thing on earth, it's 99% coconut oil, maybe fireclean is more overated since it's canola oil.
Whatever Froglube is made of, and however overrated it is, it still keeps my guns from rusting in my damp house better than anything else I've tried, and I've got a can of and have used about everything on the market.

doomtrpr_z71

Whatever Froglube is made of, and however overrated it is, it still keeps my guns from rusting in my damp house better than anything else I've tried, and I've got a can of and have used about everything on the market.
Then use tracklube+, it's the same thing with a different coloring added, froglube, tracklube and seal1 are all nothing more than coconut oil with a stabilizing agent added.

Nimrod71

As old as I am and as long as I have been cleaning and working on guns I never knew there were this many different names in the weapons old, grease and cleaners business. I am behind times, I need to try out some of these newer/different brands.

Dub

As old as I am and as long as I have been cleaning and working on guns I never knew there were this many different names in the weapons old, grease and cleaners business. I am behind times, I need to try out some of these newer/different brands.

It does seem like the market is flooded with a dizzying array of cleaners, oils, greases and etc.

Back when gun finish choices were blue, parkerized, hard chrome and stainless......a pile of stuff probably worked really well.

I think all the new gun finishes and coatings drove an actual need for new lubes that would play nice with them. For example, Dan Wesson's Duty finish is outstanding against wear, rust and etc.......but don't mess around and use the "wrong" lube on it or it'll get cloudy spots that look weird....so their owner's manuals gibe you a short list of approved stuff to use.

Seems like each of these super duper impervious finishes has their own kryptonite...the one thing that it's not impervious to. :rofl:

I find myself liking blue & wood guns more and more. Guess I'm coming full circle. (y)

nmurph

Are we talking about oil for the internals, or oil for protecting outside from rust?

For the inside, a good degreasing with Ronsonol or carb cleaner. That is followed by judicious application of Hobo Oil.

For the outside of anything that's not Ceracoated, I use Renaissance Wax.

Nimrod71

Working at the LGS I get ask all the time which is best and you know I get the deer in the head light looks, all I can say they are all good, just read the label and make your pick. It's like someone is coming out with a new one ever week. I wish weapons manufactures would include a sample of the lube they recommend for their weapon.

rosewood

Bear on Alaskan Bush people likes chicken fat grease. He says its thin enough to not gunk up in the cold and keeps his rifle smelling like chicken. I have not tried it yet.
Surprised he didn't mix some snot or something with it...

nmurph

Bear on Alaskan Bush people likes chicken fat grease. He says its thin enough to not gunk up in the cold and keeps his rifle smelling like chicken. I have not tried it yet.

Just remember, don't believe everything you see on reality shows! I watched one last week where they got the SxS "stuck." ...bogus!!