What kind of fruit

bonecollector123

Maybe it's not a fruit, I was thinking it was a persimmon but I am not sure. I have hundreds of trees on my place with these on them but never see anything eating them.

Attachments

• fruit.jpg
    fruit.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 205

bonecollector123

Thanks, I see them in the fall they get kinda orange colored and they are all over the ground I have never seen anything eat them. If I say there are a hundred trees on my lease I would be way off they are everywhere.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Orange = persimmons. Deer, pigs, yotes, possums, bear, birds, etc. love them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yes that’s a green persimmon , tree probably aborted some or a storm knocked them off , and I’ve never seen any in the wild that wasn’t getting eat

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I see them in the fall they get kinda orange colored and they are all over the ground I have never seen anything eat them. If I say there are a hundred trees on my lease I would be way off they are everywhere.

Something eating them is how your place got so many trees. Seeds carried and “deposited” by droppings.
Only the female trees bear fruit. Males bloom and provide pollination.

Grunt-n-bleat

Supposedly you can cut them open and be able to tell what kind of winter we will have.
Supposed to be knives, spoon or fork in the seeds.

The folklore says that a spoon pattern inside the seeds indicates there will be lots of snow to shovel, a fork pattern inside the seeds indicates the winter will be mild with good eating, and a knife pattern inside the seeds indicates the winter will be cold with cutting winds.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, in all seriousness, persimmons are to deer what crack cocaine is to crackheads. The deer where I hunt will walk right across about any other kind of food to get to ripe persimmons. Same with about every other critter. Coyotes even gobble them. I plant them, graft them, and try to get as many around as possible. I kill deer about every year eating persimmons. Persimmons and white oak acorns are the two most reliable deer attractants anywhere I have ever hunted. They'll pull deer off corn.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man they are juicy too. Dont let the greenness deter you. After a day on the tractor, a few bites will get you hydrated right back up
And you won't need novacaine the next time you go to the dentist. :)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
In my experience, in all seriousness, persimmons are to deer what crack cocaine is to crackheads. The deer where I hunt will walk right across about any other kind of food to get to ripe persimmons. Same with about every other critter. Coyotes even gobble them. I plant them, graft them, and try to get as many around as possible. I kill deer about every year eating persimmons. Persimmons and white oak acorns are the two most reliable deer attractants anywhere I have ever hunted. They'll pull deer off corn.
This has also been my experience , anywhere I’ve ever hunted

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Set you up a stand about 50 yards away.

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve killed a pile of deer under a persimmon tree with a bow. They are like candy to them. I had the same trouble as the OP before. I hunted a farm that had persimmon trees everywhere. You couldn’t pin the deer down hardly. Most that bare fruit are in the edges of fields and deer hit them whenever they want, middle of the day, middle of the night, didn’t matter. Two things that will help you. Hunt the tree that’s closest to thicker cover, that’s where the horns will be. Second, next year use some of those fertilizer stakes around the drip line of a persimmon tree that is strategically located where you can hang a stand with a good prevailing wind. It’s too late this year I’d imagine to help the fruit and you have to be careful.......a persimmon tree must be delicate, they are one of the first trees to die in the woods. Don’t over due it. I have fertilized certain specific white oaks, honeysuckle patches and bullis vines like this. Often deer will walk right past the other trees to get to the one that’s fertilized. I promise you the deer and every other critter around is eating them.Its early now, but if you notice the scat on the ground, it will have the seeds in it. If you find the first ripe tree...you will have to shoot in self defense. Good luck.