Persimmons

Rodonne1

It’s that time for most of my lease that spans Cherokee and Pickens county. The deer have been hammering the persimmons and crabapples that have ripened, some still have a week or so to go.

Notice that doe standing on her hind legs picking persimmon off the top of that tree!

Last two pictures are a crabapple leaning over the road and dropping.

Now, if I could just get some time off work to go chase them!

Attachments

• 7adf819b-6b7d-4c63-8137-6bcb60c33d74.jpeg
    7adf819b-6b7d-4c63-8137-6bcb60c33d74.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 5b88c918-65df-46fa-8c11-8e986f1899a2.jpeg
    5b88c918-65df-46fa-8c11-8e986f1899a2.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 54c4fceb-698c-4bb4-9d00-955ae0dd3220.jpeg
    54c4fceb-698c-4bb4-9d00-955ae0dd3220.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 1805bb9f-673c-4f46-8205-8bf2295a93b8.jpeg
    1805bb9f-673c-4f46-8205-8bf2295a93b8.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 082d8f17-8699-4ea5-b461-38969287a7a3.jpeg
    082d8f17-8699-4ea5-b461-38969287a7a3.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 55
  • aa7405eb-9b9d-47a6-99ed-8a024b5f3a96.jpeg
    aa7405eb-9b9d-47a6-99ed-8a024b5f3a96.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 56

Core Lokt

There is a nursery stock planted field 5 or so miles from my house and I noticed they are still green. Those trees get loaded and the only thing I see getting them are Mexicans at harvest time which is just about when the leaves are gone. Can't believe they don't get hammered by deer cause it's in the country/woods.

chrislibby88

There is a nursery stock planted field 5 or so miles from my house and I noticed they are still green. Those trees get loaded and the only thing I see getting them are Mexicans at harvest time which is just about when the leaves are gone. Can't believe they don't get hammered by deer cause it's in the country/woods.
The domestic Asian varieties don’t drop when ripe, they have to be picked. Some of them also ripen much later than wild ones.

Blackston

I found a tree on a pond edge by a dirt road the other day with BIG persimmons on it ( big as limes ) Never seen a wild tree with big fruit ….. first for me

chrislibby88

I found a tree on a pond edge by a dirt road the other day with BIG persimmons on it ( big as limes ) Never seen a wild tree with big fruit ….. first for me
Might be an Asian tree? They throw big fruit with tiny non fertile seeds. If there aren’t any saplings around it it’s a domestic variety.

chrislibby88

Well my swamp persimmons still aren’t dropping good in middle Ga. Sat two trees on the edge of a thin dry creek bed. Heard one simmon drop between 5 and dark and there were maybe a dozen on the ground. Coon came in and cleaned some up. No deer, no pigs. Plenty of tracks though.

Blackston

Might be an Asian tree? They throw big fruit with tiny non fertile seeds. If there aren’t any saplings around it it’s a domestic variety.
I’ll take a picture… it’s in the middle of nowhere…. I dunno

Toliver

Have any of you taken the fruit to get the seeds and started new trees? I want to have some started as I clear various places on my new property so as the opportunity arises, I can plant them exactly where I want them. Just wondering if you've done it with success, what method did you use?

Hillbilly stalker

Really? Most of the persimmons I see are vine free.
Here is one I was hunting yesterday evening. That’s a Wisteria vine choking it out. I freed it up after the hunt ( dark). This was near an old home place, for some reason those vines gravitate toward persimmon. They passed several oak and a couple sweet gum. It’s usually poison Ivey vines.IMG_1457.jpeg

chrislibby88

Have any of you taken the fruit to get the seeds and started new trees? I want to have some started as I clear various places on my new property so as the opportunity arises, I can plant them exactly where I want them. Just wondering if you've done it with success, what method did you use?
My brother did. I’m pretty sure he cleaned the seeds, dried, stored them in the fridge until spring, then put them in dirt and germinated them. Wound up with a ton of persimmon seedlings.

They will throw at least 50/50 male, maybe higher. Don’t worry about it. Plant them where you want them, and after a few years when you can see flowers graft female tops onto the male saplings.

Toliver

My brother did. I’m pretty sure he cleaned the seeds, dried, stored them in the fridge until spring, then put them in dirt and germinated them. Wound up with a ton of persimmon seedlings.

They will throw at least 50/50 male, maybe higher. Don’t worry about it. Plant them where you want them, and after a few years when you can see flowers graft female tops onto the male saplings.
What about collecting small ones sprouting up around the big ones? Any idea on survival rates for transplants?

chrislibby88

What about collecting small ones sprouting up around the big ones? Any idea on survival rates for transplants?
Never tried. I did try with some sawtooths- found out the taproot is as long or longer than the stem above ground. I was only able to dig up sapling less than 8inches tall, and I still damaged some of their roots systems to the point they died.

Try it and report back.

There’s a thread somewhere on GON where several members here have successfully grafted female tops onto male saplings. Find it and read it.

menhadenman

I took someone’s advice on here and ordered 50 from the Ga forestry commission. Planted them last winter and I bet 40 are doing well.

Just ordered some more of those and also some white oaks. It’s a good deal.

Blackston

What that cost ya ?
I took someone’s advice on here and ordered 50 from the Ga forestry commission. Planted them last winter and I bet 40 are doing well.

Just ordered some more of those and also some white oaks. It’s a good deal.