Persimmons

chrislibby88

It’s almost candy time. For those who don’t know, trees that get full sun, without much light competition from other trees, will ripen and drop much earlier than the trees surrounded by mature forest. My field trees are just starting to ripen up now, there’s another down the road, maybe 50 yards from the pavement covered with orange fruit already. They aren’t dropping yet, but they will start letting them go soon. Old trees down in the swamps are still weeks from ripening up.

I can’t wait for bow season.

Attachments

• IMG_6322.jpeg
    IMG_6322.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6321.jpeg
    IMG_6321.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 43

Hillbilly stalker

If you ever notice, persimmon trees , for some reason, have vines on them kinda regular. I make it a point when I scout or go check them, to carry a small folding saw with me. I cut just the vine in too. If you don’t that old wisteria and other vines will choke them out and kill them. Poison Ivey vines choke them too.

chrislibby88

If you ever notice, persimmon trees , for some reason, have vines on them kinda regular. I make it a point when I scout or go check them, to carry a small folding saw with me. I cut just the vine in too. If you don’t that old wisteria and other vines will choke them out and kill them. Poison Ivey vines choke them too.
Really? Most of the persimmons I see are vine free.

Hoss

Saw some on a tree at the hunting land last week. We’ve got some trees in pasture that really produce. Haven’t see many deer when it is light enough to hunt but have photos of em gettin after em in the dark.
Club I used to be in had an area with a bunch of persimmon trees in one area. One of the trees was huge. I actually built a tree stand in it and enjoyed hunting it watching the critters come in to eat the persimmons, deer, foxes, squirrels and probably a few I forgot. On one occasion, I watch a button buck eating them and I could see the persimmon going down his throat. Good times in that stand.

Hillbilly stalker

Really? Most of the persimmons I see are vine free.
I scout alot, I've noticed over the years that Persimmon trees on a field edge most always have way more fruit than ones in the woods. More sunlight available. The trees on field edges also tend to have alot of what we call "bag worms". They don't hurt the tree that I'm aware of, but you can spot a persimmon from quiet a distance by looking for them after the leaves turn spotty and fall. The trees that are back in the woods are the ones that are plagued with the vines. The vine is what I call a hairy vine, it has thousands of hairy tentacles that actually grow on the tree itself....not just up the tree. The trees back inside the woods seem to be fragile and die off easily anyway. They have few limbs on the way up, but a decent size top, long and skinny trunk. I get some pictures for you on my next trip, Im near the SC/NC border. It may very well be regional.

chrislibby88

I scout alot, I've noticed over the years that Persimmon trees on a field edge most always have way more fruit than ones in the woods. More sunlight available. The trees on field edges also tend to have alot of what we call "bag worms". They don't hurt the tree that I'm aware of, but you can spot a persimmon from quiet a distance by looking for them after the leaves turn spotty and fall. The trees that are back in the woods are the ones that are plagued with the vines. The vine is what I call a hairy vine, it has thousands of hairy tentacles that actually grow on the tree itself....not just up the tree. The trees back inside the woods seem to be fragile and die off easily anyway. They have few limbs on the way up, but a decent size top, long and skinny trunk. I get some pictures for you on my next trip, Im near the SC/NC border. It may very well be regional.
Sounds like poison ivy vines, and yes, I have seen vines on them, muscadine and poison ivy, usually in mid story trees, and they do choke them out. I do see a good bit with vines, especially along water edges where more sunlight gets through, but I never noticed a disproportionate amount of vines on persimmons vs other trees. I never thought about killing vines since we have so many dang persimmons down here but probably not a bad idea to kill the poison ivy for the sake of the tree, but I always viewed the muscadines as a bonus on a persimmon tree. Double buffet.

Hillbilly stalker

Around here muscadine, scupodine and Bullace are interchangeable names. Older folks call them “Bullis( Bullace)” when they fall green and scupodine or muscadine when they fall purple (more ripe). I drank a little wine made from Bullis one time…won’t make that mistake again :sick:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Checked a few loaded persimmon trees in west ga today . Mostly still green but looked like some were starting to turn . Sure got a good crop around me this year

Rodonne1

Most of the ones here in Cherokee/Pickens county are still green but just starting to change color.

In addition to persimmons, we’ve got some crabapples getting close too.

Attachments

• IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4534.jpeg
    IMG_4534.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4537.jpeg
    IMG_4537.jpeg
    545.4 KB · Views: 18

Triple C

Was at my property yesterday and as I drove thru what we call the orchard plot - (planted with 8 kieffer pears in 2012), and seeing no fruit plus a good dose of fire blight now on them, I once again was reminded that the greatest of all soft mast trees is the lowly persimmon.

Ours are loaded again as they always are this time of year...will drop fruit thru much of the hunting season and require zero maintenance. Deer dodge arrows to get to them.

Got all these beautiful kieffers, orients, and even a few apple trees trying to hang on and will never plant another.

Love the native persimmons!