what makes gold so valuable ?

jrickman

I think a lot of people misunderstand the value of gold in a societal collapse, imagining gold bugs running around with 1 ounce coins trying to buy a can of soup with the seller struggling to make $1700 in change. This assumes the collapse leads to a long lasting barter economy or some sort of permanent state of chaos. Silver, canned food, ammo, medicines, batteries, booze, tobacco and other such "small denomination" items will be used in an interim period where we're in a barter economy, and in point of fact, are in somewhat widespread use today. I paid for some jewelry work with silver a while back and traded some of that good old mountain dew for some reloading supplies just last year. Think of these things as your folding money, and gold as your holding money. The gold would (assuming the need arises) be used for large purchases, but more likely than not, a place to simply store the wealth for when we emerge from the chaos and resulting barter economy and begin to re-establish regulated commerce with recognized currency. Your great great grandaddy's 500 Confederate dollars are little more than a collector's item today, worth next to nothing for any practical purpose, but if he had gold coins in that coffee can instead of silly papers with Jeff D's head on it, you'd be sitting on quite a fortune. The truly wealthy (and smart) folks back then had gold and silver, not a useless wad of graybacks.

Donal

The value of gold.

I tell him he better be buying lead instead because I've never understood why gold is the go to thing, can't make love to it, can't eat it and its really just a shinny metal IMHO.

The metal gold attained its value thousands of years ago. The property of gold that people wanted is that the metal can be formed by compression (hammer,etc,) to most any shape and to very thin thicknesses. Yep even then people wanted a shield to block the rays from the sun. Examples of the masks are on exhibit in the Louvre in Paris and other locaions as well. No other metal on this planet has the mallability of gold. The Cuniform tablets mention that the planet earth was colonized by the Anunnaki as a source of gold.

grouper throat

As others have said scarcity, it's a finite resource on earth, and universally accepted currency. Conservative investors love it's stability in downturning markets also. Personally, I do not see the allure of it as an investment but to each their own.

BTW those mining penny stocks were awesome back in the day(y)