what size reel

I've not done any shark fishing to speak of , might fish from boat or off some of the island beaches . What size reels should i get and what type

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Nothing smaller than a Penn #8. If your gonna get serious about it you want a International #12 or bigger... IF you can afford one.

RHFisherman

Where are you fishing from? You're in my wheelhouse with big sharks, especially if you're talking about from a little boat.

Robust Redhorse

IMO - Large sharks from the beach require large conventional reels with lots of line capacity for at least 80 pound test monofilament or Dacron line.

Abrasion from sand bars just kills most modern braided line (I have yet to try the "Abrasion Resistant' modern braids).

If "large" is 200 pounds, you might be able to get by with a 6/0 Penn Senator (114 OR 114w) and 50 pound test mono.

If "large" is as big as whatever might eat a whole bonito off the bottom, then spool up a rebuilt 9/0 - 12/0 Senator with # 80-130, put it on a "stand-up" rod, and get a good belt/harness combination.

If you want to go larger, then most folks would need to fight from a chair and use a conventional trolling rod.

Lever drag reels like Penn Internationals or Shimano Tiagras are of much better quality and smoother, but sand from the beach can be more of a problem, because they are made to much closer tolerances.

(you will also need someone with a kayak to take your bait offshore, unless the tides/wind are in your favor to float a balloon to fairly deep water)

If you fish from a boat, you can get by with much smaller tackle.

Last edited:

Latest posts