Whatever happened to bait shops?

GTMODawg

BANNED
Looking at the google for state line road I remembered another sure enough bait shop that is apparently still a bait shop. It is now called On Target Hunting Store on google but I don't think it was when I knew it well. There was a GOOD all you can eat catfish place across the road...none of those grain fed commercial catfish but straight out of the Chattahoochee with all that good Atlanta fertilizer. My mouth is watering now thinking of those fish, those hushpuppies and that tea that would put a diabetic in the grave with a smile the undertaker couldn't wipe off his face. But I digress.

That bait shop was the real deal. Honest to god cane poles hanging under the eves....anywhere from 6 foot long to 20. None of that bamboo with a metal feral crap either...one piece honest to god can poles the man cut off the side of the highway, laid up to dry and sold for about .10 cents a foot if memory serves. They had anything you could ask for. Minnows of every size and description, big bellied crickets you could flat line (honest to god....man fattened them up on sliced potatoes in the box...the smell was noticeable at the catfish place across the street if the wind was right), worms of ever description INCLUDING Georgia Jumpers....the ones that live in pine straw and can whup a 3 pound largemouth bass if they want to. They had chicken livers, gizards, hearts, beef and pork liver, ivory soap (for those who don't know real ivory soap is the best trot line bait ever....lasts forever and big channel cats love it) meal worms, wasp larvae as well as bee larvae, leaches that were caught in the creek just down the street by a kid with a rotting chunk of stew beef, this place had it all and did a BOOMING business. They even had chattahoochee suckers and shiners straight from the river. Talk about matching the hatch! They sold drinks in one of those machines you pulled one drink at a time from the door and they always had ice crystals in them. They sold home made fried pies....you ain't lived until you have ate a home made fried chocolate or lemon pie. None of that dang stuff mass produced but made by the hands of a good christian woman. This place was the for sure real deal.

But the truly interesting thing about this place was the plaque they had over the front door claiming it was the birthplace of....wait for it.....The Tom Mann Bait Company! Most people will say that Tom Mann started his business in Eufala and the companies web site says Enterprise Alabama. But there seems to be some truth to the fact that he grew up outside of what is now Valley in Chambers County and did indeed make and sell something close to the Little George in that very bait shop just outside Valley. Back when West Point first came to full pool and was so young it wasn't unusual to catch bass 2 at the time on a crank bait (the eco system hadn't settled in yet and bait fish were scarce and had a lot of places to hide) this was a widely held fact in Shawmut, West Point and what is Valley today. My uncle swore he bought some of those baits from Tom Mann himself at that bait shop. They had a letter from the Tom Mann Bait Company affirming that he had indeed sold baits at that shop but it could be a forgery....the company claims Enterprise as the companies birthplace and Eufaula is what the world knows.....

Big7

The Oracle
We still got one founded by the late Claude Bagwell.

The cricket houses he had years ago supplied neighboring states. If you got a cricket in the south east during the 50's - 90's, prolly came from his hatchery.

He had 6 chicken house size hatcheries and billions of crickets.

The little store is still there and you can get bait and basic tackle.

campboy

Foster's Mill Store was a good one back in the 80s and early 90s here in Floyd County. Evans Store was also a good one back in the day. Tommy T's on Cedartown Highway is the closest thing we've got now. It's a good place to stop on your way to lock and dam or Weiss lake

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Right off the top of my head I know of 5 right around Lake Seminole, 1 at Blackshear, 2 in Albany

35 Whelen

The one and only time I bought leeches was in Ontario, Canada. Used them to catch Smallmouth Bass.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Man they are great baits. Catfish love em, bass will tear them up and even big bream will eat them. Nasty critters to handle though
Most now are "back" to being used in the medical field... they inject something in the blood that keeps it from clotting or something like that and aid in reattaching limbs and organ transplants.

westcobbdog

UPDATE:

Passed thru Acworth today and stopped in the old Striper Soup, its now run by a teacher who keeps it open M-F 6 am - noon. Weekends 6am - 5pm i think.
Sorry name escapes me and he has no phone...but does have lots of live bait choices.

ryanh487

UPDATE:

Passed thru Acworth today and stopped in the old Striper Soup, its now run by a teacher who keeps it open M-F 6 am - noon. Weekends 6am - 5pm i think.
Sorry name escapes me and he has no phone...but does have lots of live bait choices.

Shad shack. Real nice guy. If you ever stop there before sun up the doors will be locked and he might not be visible but he's in there and will meet you around back to net bait for you. Real cool setup.

hunter44a

Here at West Point we have Hudson's Pro Bass. He has a good selection of lures and live bait. GLL is also a good local store.

Hammond's is a good local shop around Lanier. Also, Oakwood Bait and Tackle.
Theres a new bait shop opening on crossroads and hwy 219. Not sure what it'll be like

GTMODawg

BANNED
Herring Hut on the SC side of Clark Hill is a proper bait shop. I don't frequent it much because its out of the way for me but they are good folks.

They will also have shiners from time to time. The focus is of course herring but they do have actual shiners. I assume they come out of the river because they are great baits down river below Augusta....mathcing the hatch

GTMODawg

BANNED
Shad shack. Real nice guy. If you ever stop there before sun up the doors will be locked and he might not be visible but he's in there and will meet you around back to net bait for you. Real cool setup.

Once was the time lots of bait shops would come to the door after hours. I never knew one who was happy about it though LOL....

Tblank

Here at West Point we have Hudson's Pro Bass. He has a good selection of lures and live bait. GLL is also a good local store.

Hammond's is a good local shop around Lanier. Also, Oakwood Bait and Tackle.
I have fished with Keith many years. Great guy and guide.

ryanh487

Once was the time lots of bait shops would come to the door after hours. I never knew one who was happy about it though LOL....

He opens at like 5:30 or 6:00 am, but he's alone in the store so he keeps it locked up for safety and to keep equipment from walking out the front door while he's out back netting bait for folks. Always happy to help. If he's closed he's not there lol.

Jdmb123

We still got one founded by the late Claude Bagwell.

The cricket houses he had years ago supplied neighboring states. If you got a cricket in the south east during the 50's - 90's, prolly came from his hatchery.

He had 6 chicken house size hatcheries and billions of crickets.

The little store is still there and you can get bait and basic tackle.
where is this

whitetailfreak

There are still a handful of those like you describe in western NC, right down to the polaroid pics on the wall. Not near as many as there used to be, for sure. I have never seen leeches for sale around here, though.

Smoky Mountain bait and tackle between Nantahala and Bryson has a pretty good shop. Last time I was in they had a section of locally tied flies as well.

Red dirt clod

Moose’s bait shop in Athens when I was growing up, bought our Lizards there and kept them in one of those buckets in the well house. Only thing I ever fished for bass with till I was over 16 years old. He would come out to our farm ponds when the bream were bedding and catch a sack full.

sbroadwell

Two I used to go to, that are long gone. Used to hit Goree's Ice House on Buford Highway in Doraville.
And of course, Rock Inn, in Roswell. That was my go to place growing up. And, I was good friends with the final owner, Joel Honeycutt. Widening of the road took it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
There is 1 in Cairo and an 4-5 in Bainbridge.Westside in Bainbridge is my go to when I,m down that way.