Whatever happened to bait shops?

GTMODawg

BANNED
I messed around and went to Cabelas a couple of days ago to buy some crappie jigs and when I entered the place, about the size of an old WalMart, and saw they had exactly 4 aisles about 20 foot long as their "fishing department" I knew I was looking at one of the seven signs of the apocalypse. They had aboout 14 acres of Columbia Sporstwear and about 2 acres of ammunition and about 80 linear feet of fishing tackle. Amazing.

This lead me to wax nostalgic, as I am wont to do, about a sure enough, good old fashioned bait shop. The kind of place where when you buy a box of red wrigglers they dump them in a stainless steel scoop for your viewing pleasure. The kind of place with a white cricket box and where they ask you what size minnow you want when you tell them you want 3 dozen....cause they got them in different sizes. The kind of place that still has Tom Mann Jelly Worms....real ones, not something that is made to look like one....and they still smell like grape jelly. A real bait shop will sell spring lizards when bass are on bed because...well if you don't know I ain't telling it. They will have leaches. Leaches for crying out loud. When was the last time someone bought a leach? The kind of place where the same hands that just counted out 3 dozen crappie minnows and shifted through a glob of nightcrawlers will fix you a BBQ sandwich if you want one, and you never thought to notice if they washed their hands first or not. They kind of place that had a bragging board and, if you were lucky, more than few of your own mugshots were hanging on that board.

Right off the top of my head I can think of 3 such places which no longer exist. Blackstocks on Fairburn Road in Fairburn. If a fish had been caught in North Georgia in the 50 years before they closed they had the bait it was caught on. If you went in there and asked for a unicorn haired jig, 1/4 oz, they'd ask what color. They had a store about the size of a modern day Circle K and had more inventory at any given time than Cabelas sells in a year. And if it was a bait that lived? They had it.

The second one was The DugOut on HWY 41 about Acworth. They had it ALL. They had bait tanks when no one knew what a bait tank was. They had nearly an acre of minnows. If you needed it they had it and many's the time you didn't know you needed it until you saw it at the DugOut.

The third such place was the bait barge at the lock and dam in Rome. That place was special in a time and place where special things were everywhere you looked. For those who never knew it it was a barge, rumored to have been the last one pushed upriver from Gasden, which had gotten stuck on a sand bar and arrived a couple of days after the last operation of Mayo Lock. This may or may not be true but it certainly existed, right next to the boat ramp, and some enterprising Floyd County man built a shop on it, installed a grill, and proceeded to sell bait and breakfast/lunch and more than a few dinners to folks fishing the Coosa River. It also had any kind of bait imaginable. There'd be jon boats tied up three deep around that barge when the crappie were up the river. This thing was straight out of Mark Twain and anyone who knew it when it existed and didn't think of Tom Sawyer had either never read Twain or was some kind of trogolodyte unknown in the south until recently. I was out of the country when it dissapeared and I am glad to have not been around because it was the end of an era in the south.

Anybody else have a bait shop they remember...or know of one that exists today??? They are few and far between now a days....many places sell bait but very few bait shops left.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They`re still down here in South Georgia and the Panhandle.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Remember all of the above. Only place to buy bait around here that I know of is Lee's Grocery at 3rd. Army Rd. and Old #41 Hwy. but they have just about any bait one would want year round.

specialk

i remember blackstocks when it was where the military military college sits now....only place i have ever bought catawba worms....

pjciii

I go to half hitch tackle in Panama City. The is one on 197 and power dam road and i think the Reeves hardware store in downtown clayton in the back has some. Rest of them got turned into gas station sushi places

Last edited:

BeerThirty

I used to love stopping into bait shops as a kid with my dad. Many of the same features as described by the OP. Was always mesmerized by the minnow tanks, from the small ones up to the shiners. You asked for 3 dozen, you got three scoops of minnows, none of this individually counting nonsense they do now. They knew what the fish were biting on and could tell you where to go to find them. Most of the shops I remember were run by older, retired men who turned either their garage or part of their home into the bait shop. It was always fun to stop by with your stringer or big catch and let them snap a picture and put it up on their wall. They were all good for an overpriced candy bar and ice cold can of soda, but always worth it!

Jim Baker

Staff member
They`re still down here in South Georgia and the Panhandle.

We got a good one over here in Quitman. If she ain't got it you probably don't need it. Been run by the same lady for at least 40 years. Don't know how much longer she will do it and if anyone will take it over.

hawkeye123

Bait Bucket at 4 pts & Hwy 36 in Jackson, Berry's in Griffin right off 16, 2 that I go to, that Blackstocks in Fairburn had the greatest variety of bait ever, c worms, leeches, etc. Kelly's Citgo by the state park on High Falls rd was a good one, Kelly sold to a Mr Patel, will not go back there ,3$ a doz for crappie minners and they died on hook way faster , took down all the fish mounts & pics, SMH

westcobbdog

Used to go to the rock store in Roswell in the 70’s.
Liked Strioer Soup in Acworth, not sure what happened to them. Tanks still there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are still a handful of those like you describe in western NC, right down to the polaroid pics on the wall. Not near as many as there used to be, for sure. I have never seen leeches for sale around here, though.

GTMODawg

BANNED
i remember blackstocks when it was where the military military college sits now....only place i have ever bought catawba worms....

Catawba worms. I almost had forgotten those. Imagine an era where you could buy a green and black caterpillar, turn it inside out and catch anything that swims! Ima have to add Catawba worms to the pre requisite for a for sure bait shop!

GTMODawg

BANNED
Bait Bucket at 4 pts & Hwy 36 in Jackson, Berry's in Griffin right off 16, 2 that I go to, that Blackstocks in Fairburn had the greatest variety of bait ever, c worms, leeches, etc. Kelly's Citgo by the state park on High Falls rd was a good one, Kelly sold to a Mr Patel, will not go back there ,3$ a doz for crappie minners and they died on hook way faster , took down all the fish mounts & pics, SMH

I remember Kellys. I fished in the restricted area at high falls once as a kid. May or may not have know better LOL. I do know it was ate up with big bream. I got run off but not arrested. What I wouldn’t do to be 9 again!

GTMODawg

BANNED
Here at West Point we have Hudson's Pro Bass. He has a good selection of lures and live bait. GLL is also a good local store.

Hammond's is a good local shop around Lanier. Also, Oakwood Bait and Tackle.

There used to be a Western Auto in Valley that was a real bait shop. My uncle played checkers there a good bit and I ate moon pies and listened to WW2 Veterans and Korean War vets hold forth on subjects ranging from women to sailing ships to goats! You can’t but that sort of education and it ain’t in a book….

Fishlipps Revisited

I was a regular at the Dugout back in the late 70's and early 80's when Mrs. Fowler owned it. I spent so much time there that she asked me once to mind the store while she ran to the bank. She had a REALLY great selection of lures, a few reels, and some nice rods I bought a couple of the Shimano Bantams from her when they first came out, as well as some Skyline rods....VERY pricey stuff. She also always managed to find lures for me that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Lee's Grocery in Acworth was Griffin's Grocery when I moved here. We rented space from them for our Field Office while we were building the I-75 bridge over Lake Allatoona. Griff took me fishing a couple of times to troll for white bass. And, he even let me borrow his boat whenever I'd ask. I always got a kick out of listening to him and Rita jaw at each other when they got wound up.

He had minnows, worms, some lures and a small selection of tackle. I bought a LOT of Rebel crankbaits from him....still have a lot of them that have never been out of the box.

Sure miss those people and places.

Last edited:

GTMODawg

BANNED
I go to half hitch tackle in Panama City. The is one on 197 and power dam road and i think the hardware store in ddowntown clayton in the back has some. Rest of them got turned into gas station sushi places

Half hitch is a good one. They still exist in Florida. There are a couple around Sebastian inlet that are proper for the area and also in St Pete. B&M on A1A in Jackaonville comes to mind. The Strike Zones have always been a guilty favorite…..not really a real bait shop but anybody that has $5000 Penn Trollong reels on display where anyone could handle them is good folks.

I sold 2 Electra- mate bent butt roller guide deep drop rigs at the Half Hitch in Forr Walton on consignment once for $1900! I only had about $800 in them and had used them for 10 years. That’s good folks also!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hammonds and The Dam Store at Lanier were good bait shops in the early 2000's. Not sure if they are still in business.

ryanh487

They started selling lures you can get for $2.99 online for $9.99 and setting hours at times inconvenient to stop by on the way to the lake.

GTMODawg

BANNED
We got a good one over here in Quitman. If she ain't got it you probably don't need it. Been run by the same lady for at least 40 years. Don't know how much longer she will do it and if anyone will take it over.

Probably not, especially if it is a bait shop only and isn't selling gas and lottery tickets. If it is doing that odds are pretty good if they continue to sell bait it'll be a few boxes of worms in a refrigerator and they won't even bother to dump them out and let you look at them before they take your money....

GTMODawg

BANNED
I used to love stopping into bait shops as a kid with my dad. Many of the same features as described by the OP. Was always mesmerized by the minnow tanks, from the small ones up to the shiners. You asked for 3 dozen, you got three scoops of minnows, none of this individually counting nonsense they do now. They knew what the fish were biting on and could tell you where to go to find them. Most of the shops I remember were run by older, retired men who turned either their garage or part of their home into the bait shop. It was always fun to stop by with your stringer or big catch and let them snap a picture and put it up on their wall. They were all good for an overpriced candy bar and ice cold can of soda, but always worth it!

I bought a tube of crickets at Pollards Corner last summer (it used to be a real bait shop by the way) and the man counted the danged crickets. Took him forever and paying customers waiting.

My dad and I were headed to Amity on West Point one weekend and stopped at the yellow bait shop just before Burnt Pine (on the left) to get bait. The man who was running the store at that time had a black kid, about 12 years old, helping him out around the place. Daddy told him we wanted 3 dozen and the man hollered "boy, get these men 3 dozen of them minnows". About 5 minutes later the kid had not shown up with the bait and the man got angry....started berating that kid from the cash register. Called him all kinds of names. one in particular that would get you shot if you used it today....if not the kid then for certain his daddy. Finally the kid came out with our bait bucket, set it down, calmly walked out the door and started toward State Line Road. Never said a word. We paid the man, loaded the truck, and headed for the ramp....never looking in the bait bucket. We passed that kid about a mile up the road and he waved and kept walking. We get the boat in the water, get to the first spot, I reach for the minnow bucket....and that thing was loaded to the gills with minnows. Must have been 300 hundred if there was one. That kid must have decided he no longer cared if that particular business turned a profit any longer and did what a 12 year old black kid in the Valley could get by with back in the day to express his discontent with the names he was called. Daddy and I were dumbfounded but wore the crappy out and never came close to running out of bait.

I think that bait shop may be a convenience store now but it used to come close to a real bait shop.