Whats everyone seening after Dec 31 ..any good sized bucks taken after the new year happens

snuffy

One of my biggest and only drop time buck came the last weekend of the
Season in Wheeler County.
A doe came by with 5 bucks after her.

Here is the guy I took January 12, 2020 in Upson. Last day of season, mid morning (about 9am). Came up over a rise, nose to the ground, on the trail of a doe that walked by 15 minutes before...Point being, they are still looking for love, even in January, if "mama" hasn't been bred yet.:ROFLMAO: My biggest to date.
1701896489580.png

coolbreezeroho

Food and looking for the ladies......I will be staying on stand for the whole day . I have a couple of spots planned out already...

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
The second rut is starting in sw ga where I hunt right now, have seen several of our shooters on camera chasing does the past few days

B. White

The second rut is starting in sw ga where I hunt right now, have seen several of our shooters on camera chasing does the past few days

This week is when I see good sign start again in middle GA, and at least in my experience it has been the better bucks that are fired up instead of every spike coming through the woods grunting. From Christmas on, it seems like there is always one oak they prefer to root under for a few mins right before dark. I've seen several walk past a hundred trees and only stop under one between Christmas and New Years. Don't know if they taste better, or if the tree rats did a better job burying them. I hunt the opposite of a lot of folks and don't hunt hardwoods much until December. After Jan 1st, I've had good luck for several years with a decent buck right at dark on crimson clover.

kayaksteve

This week is when I see good sign start again in middle GA, and at least in my experience it has been the better bucks that are fired up instead of every spike coming through the woods grunting. From Christmas on, it seems like there is always one oak they prefer to root under for a few mins right before dark. I've seen several walk past a hundred trees and only stop under one between Christmas and New Years. Don't know if they taste better, or if the tree rats did a better job burying them. I hunt the opposite of a lot of folks and don't hunt hardwoods much until December. After Jan 1st, I've had good luck for several years with a decent buck right at dark on crimson clover.
It seems like I see the majority of chasing around the week of or week after thanksgiving. But probably 90% of what I would consider good bucks I’ve saw over the years chasing were atleast a couple weeks after that.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I’m in super SW ga….and thats the middle of the rut till end of season. We rarely kill a deer before December 1st
Its like that at my place in Pike County Alabama. Just now getting pics of bucks starting to roam.

Rut kicks in in January from what I have been told, 1st year hunting this place, so I will see.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Its like that at my place in Pike County Alabama. Just now getting pics of bucks starting to roam.

Rut kicks in in January from what I have been told, 1st year hunting this place, so I will see.
I used to hunt pike and primetime to be there was always mlk weekend

Hunter922

Food next to thick areas and or privet thickets. We've hunted Cobb for years and late season food and does still attract bucks. January is a great month to see your big deer ( if they are still upright) back on food like they were in September..

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Had all sorts of bucks on camera the past couple days, I like hunting later in the season for the fact that you can narrow down food, and they come to feed better. As long as you have good cold weather , where I hunt, you can always catch a good one goin to the feed or lookin for the second estrus does to come in .

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Big food plots rule from now to end of season.

Morning sits in drainages, hardwoods n travel corridors.

Afternoon sits gonna b on or near a food plot.

Yep. Evening hunts on a food plot right at last light are my go to late in the season. :rockon:

Timberman

I’m in super SW ga….and thats the middle of the rut till end of season. We rarely kill a deer before December 1st
My In Laws live in Bainbridge. They don't even really start hunting until mid December.