What's the end all, be all machete these days?

roadkill

I use a Cold Steel 2 Handed 21" Latin Machete. I love it! It's great for when your hand gets tired or you need that extra umph to cut something tough.

Dusty Roads

Somewhat of a different tack from me. I use a Silky Saw Zubat.

View attachment 1138002

One of my most handy multi tools in the deer woods. If you learn to hold it by the very end and let it pivot in your hand like the hinged the blade of a Bushhog, it snaps through brambles and weeds easier than a machete Because the teeth cut on contact with no slippage along the blade. I can use it to move large portions of bramble to the side of my trail and then one long draw with the blade leaves them permanently cut and out of the way. It will also cut through 2" saplings or limbs with only 1 or 2 draws of the blade. It is so sharp that if you let it touch your leg, knee or arm on a swing it will cut you through your britches.
I have several, and I'm rarely in the woods, especially preseason (then never) without it and a good pair of hand snips (Stihl). Both in their holsters.
We have 2(I carry one on dirtbike and horses).
Work great but need snips for fine face slappers

Deerhead

Battery operated hedge trimmer. Works great for making trails, trimming saplings, small branches, briars....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Somewhat of a different tack from me. I use a Silky Saw Zubat.

View attachment 1138002

One of my most handy multi tools in the deer woods. If you learn to hold it by the very end and let it pivot in your hand like the hinged the blade of a Bushhog, it snaps through brambles and weeds easier than a machete Because the teeth cut on contact with no slippage along the blade. I can use it to move large portions of bramble to the side of my trail and then one long draw with the blade leaves them permanently cut and out of the way. It will also cut through 2" saplings or limbs with only 1 or 2 draws of the blade. It is so sharp that if you let it touch your leg, knee or arm on a swing it will cut you through your britches.
I have several, and I'm rarely in the woods, especially preseason (then never) without it and a good pair of hand snips (Stihl). Both in their holsters.
I have a couple silkys, and yeah, they'll cut you without you even knowing it. I use them for different things than a machete, though. I also often carry a pair of Felco hand pruners.

I have a couple silkys, and yeah, they'll cut you without you even knowing it. I use them for different things than a machete, though. I also often carry a pair of Felco hand pruners.
I have a zilky pole saw. That is one cutting machine. Think I have had it for about 10 plus years with heavy use still haven’t needed to replace the blade. I do have an extra for when I wear this one out or it wears me out lol

DannyW

Not sure if this helps, you will be lucky to find one, but the best machete I have ever used is below.

In my misguided youth I owned several machetes. They all performed about the same. Which is to say poorly. About 30 years ago a fellow at deer camp watched me struggle cutting some junk with my machete. He laughed. The next weekend he showed up and gave me this. He called it a sugar cane machete.

The problem with a lot of machetes is they are too balanced. All the cutting force comes from your arms. This one operates using the principle of a claw hammer...easy arm action and the cutting force comes from the heavy blade at the end.

Note the 5 rivets in the full tang handle. The blade is thin but still substantial enough to easily cut inch-thick saplings in one stroke. And just for the record, when I got it, it looked about the same way it does now.

Sugar Cane Machete.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Not sure if this helps, you will be lucky to find one, but the best machete I have ever used is below.

In my misguided youth I owned several machetes. They all performed about the same. Which is to say poorly. About 30 years ago a fellow at deer camp watched me struggle cutting some junk with my machete. He laughed. The next weekend he showed up and gave me this. He called it a sugar cane machete.

The problem with a lot of machetes is they are too balanced. All the cutting force comes from your arms. This one operates using the principle of a claw hammer...easy arm action and the cutting force comes from the heavy blade at the end.

Note the 5 rivets in the full tang handle. The blade is thin but still substantial enough to easily cut inch-thick saplings in one stroke. And just for the record, when I got it, it looked about the same way it does now.

View attachment 1203359
I’ve got one similar to yours it’s a sugarcane cutter also. I bought it out of a barrel full for your pick $5. It has been used for 35 years or so, no problems.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Ontario or if you can find Blackie Collins Ontario even better. Usually find them at a army surplus.

Whatever you do, do not get a "D" ring handled machete. Your pinky finger will thank you.

Also, I prefer a wood grip over a hard plastic. You can sand and shape the wood handle and also checker in some areas for better grip if need be.

Used one bout every day from 1985 till 2010 till I came into the office but off and on since.

Also a good 12" double cut file like a Nicholson will be your friend not only for machetes but axes and believe it or not post hole diggers in areas with a lot of roots.

davel

Anyone know or have an opinion? Vines, branches, briars, etc. Some places it's very thick and you have to cut a path into your dog. Let's here it.
We bought a Gerber about 12 years ago. Still use it every weekend. Never sharpened it. Cuts everything, even trees. Short, solid blade not like the flimsy ones that are made now. Awesome. I'll take a pic and post it in a few.

davel

We bought a Gerber about 12 years ago. Still use it every weekend. Never sharpened it. Cuts everything, even trees. Short, solid blade not like the flimsy ones that are made now. Awesome. I'll take a pic and post it in a few.
This...

Attachments

• 20230521_080755.jpg
    20230521_080755.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 23