What's the end all, be all machete these days?

ArmyTaco

Anyone know or have an opinion? Vines, branches, briars, etc. Some places it's very thick and you have to cut a path into your dog. Let's here it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What's the end all, be all machete these days?

That would be the one in the hands of a younger helper. The brand isn't as important as the age of the swinger.
Best answer. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have an old K-bar military one that I found in the barn or somewhere about forty years ago. Good steel in it.

Hillbilly stalker

Most feed and farms carry them, ones that are made for working around $20 with a sheath. I have 2 that were made in Brazil. They both take and hold a good edge and are well balanced. Anything that says China is junk in my opinion. Wal mart and Ninja stores at the mall sale the very worst. They have soft metal and the edge rolls off too easy. A cold steel Kukari also has very soft steel. Learning to cut at an angle is paramount . Much like a mowing Scythe you have to learn to let the tool do the work.

TJay

I had an old bolo machete years ago that walked off one day, wish I had it back. The one I have now is the large Schrade Outback. I think the large one has been discontinued but the smaller one may be available. It has been a good 'un.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Most feed and farms carry them, ones that are made for working around $20 with a sheath. I have 2 that were made in Brazil. They both take and hold a good edge and are well balanced. Anything that says China is junk in my opinion. Wal mart and Ninja stores at the mall sale the very worst. They have soft metal and the edge rolls off too easy. A cold steel Kukari also has very soft steel. Learning to cut at an angle is paramount . Much like a mowing Scythe you have to learn to let the tool do the work.

Yeah, Cold Steel sure ain't what they used to be...

I had an old US made Kukri from the 90s and it was a good one, sho' nuff.

It got lost, and I ordered a couple new ones a few years back. It's ok, but not near the tool the old stuff was.

If I were buying one today, I'd be buying from Ontario Knife..

I am a swinging some buck with a machete! Always liked em and used many. I use the kbar kukri. That’s one fine tool and razor sharp.!!

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Mine is a Camillus I picked up from Walmart. Been using it for 3 years now. It does well and has some weight to it, which I prefer. Also has a saw blade on the backside for larger stuff

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Somewhat of a different tack from me. I use a Silky Saw Zubat.

saw1101-500.gif

One of my most handy multi tools in the deer woods. If you learn to hold it by the very end and let it pivot in your hand like the hinged the blade of a Bushhog, it snaps through brambles and weeds easier than a machete Because the teeth cut on contact with no slippage along the blade. I can use it to move large portions of bramble to the side of my trail and then one long draw with the blade leaves them permanently cut and out of the way. It will also cut through 2" saplings or limbs with only 1 or 2 draws of the blade. It is so sharp that if you let it touch your leg, knee or arm on a swing it will cut you through your britches.
I have several, and I'm rarely in the woods, especially preseason (then never) without it and a good pair of hand snips (Stihl). Both in their holsters.

Somewhat of a different tack from me. I use a Silky Saw Zubat.

View attachment 1138002

One of my most handy multi tools in the deer woods. If you learn to hold it by the very end and let it pivot in your hand like the hinged the blade of a Bushhog, it snaps through brambles and weeds easier than a machete Because the teeth cut on contact with no slippage along the blade. I can use it to move large portions of bramble to the side of my trail and then one long draw with the blade leaves them permanently cut and out of the way. It will also cut through 2" saplings or limbs with only 1 or 2 draws of the blade. It is so sharp that if you let it touch your leg, knee or arm on a swing it will cut you through your britches.
I have several, and I'm rarely in the woods, especially preseason (then never) without it and a good pair of hand snips (Stihl). Both in their holsters.
I have there pole saw. Man that’s a bad dude! Aluminum and slides and locks into place . I can do some serious land cutting with that
Not cheap but well worth the money

Attachments

• 6140C86A-9DCD-48FB-833C-D9CDBABCFEF5.png
    6140C86A-9DCD-48FB-833C-D9CDBABCFEF5.png
    322.9 KB · Views: 54

Dbender

Loppers/snips are way less labor intensive. Easier to just snip a few branches and squeeze through than to whack for 20 mins. By the time you've wacked and pulled vines, the coon probably won't be looking anyway.