What's the saying?

Tadder

Big Bucks horn all sizes of trees. But some small ones will too. I've seen it both ways. But usually a Big Boy started the Big Rub.(y)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Only big bucks rub big trees. Have not seen him but I would like to think he is mature.

I'm with you fireman. Pay no attention to these naysayers and those of little faith. :bounce:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
There s a monster out there! Good luck!

oldfella1962

where are these rubs you speak of? I think I've seen fewer rubs & scrapes this year than any other year. Granted a lot of mature bucks got killed weeks ago where I hunt, so that could explain it. But I've been seeing some bucks very recently so some are still in the area, but no rubs or scrapes. Maybe they are using different areas than they have used last year & the years before - does a sudden change sometimes occur? If so, what would cause this?
Specifically there is a buck that has been hanging around an area close to some blacktop roads where hunting is obviously against the law. Smart move, he's safe there 24/7 and there's an abundance of acorns always dropping. The nearest water is about 250 yards which only takes a few minutes.

Would it be smart to try setting up between where he beds (the roads) and the water?
The last time I saw this buck was at noon on Saturday right out next to the road in front of God & everybody. Would he ever venture down to drink or look for does during daylight hours?

Hunter922

I ike big rubs and I can not lie....
But. If you look at some live from the tree pics i have posted a spike and a small 8 rubbing trees that big and bigger... Small deer will for sure rub big trees...

BuckNasty83

I like to go by The Hunting Beast method, in which it's based off the height of the rub. Shorter (young/ small) bucks rub lower, mature bucks rub higher. Makes sense when you think about it. I'm looking for the middle of the rub to be about thigh high.

Hunter922

Agree, it is more important to me to see what is going on above the main part of the rub. Like this one with all the gouges and marks well above the main rub.. these gouges are above waist high on a 6 foot man..20201022_114442.jpg