What's wrong with this buck?

DSGB

He's either missing some reproductive parts or it's a doe.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Stag, no nuts
This is correct. The entire antler development process is driven by hormones, particularly testosterone which is primarily produced in the testicles. A sharp rise in testosterone that occurs in the fall is required to trigger hardening of antlers and shedding velvet. The drop in testosterone in late winter causes antlers to drop.

Shadow11

Cool thanks. That's what my buddy at work was saying too.... no nuts. Does that mean it'll start growing again this summer on top of what's still left, or will it keep shrinking down?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Cool thanks. That's what my buddy at work was saying too.... no nuts. Does that mean it'll start growing again this summer on top of what's still left, or will it keep shrinking down?
It will just keep slowly growing from where it is now. It will never shed velvet, have hard antler, or ever drop antlers. Some of them can gets pretty crazy looking antlers if they live long enough.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree with others . But did he break most of his points off from Oct til now ?

Shadow11

We saw him on cam occasionally, but far off. Around November or so, it looked like it just gradually started shrinking. Maybe he bumped into things every now and then. No idea really. He's always hung out with the does tho, as if he is one.

Last edited: