Field on McGinnis...you know the one

ASH556

Seen a very good sized buck limping out in that field the last 2 days, yesterday afternoon and again this morning. Maybe he mixed it up with the wrong buck or maybe he got hit by a car. The number of deer there is insane. Wish they'd put together some kind of a bow hunt over there.

fullstrut

I've seen many deer on that field and all at the same time. Beautiful spot on the river.

DannyW

I used to ride horses along the river up to the old gravel operation with the previous landowners. Their house was out behind where the soccer fields are now. Nice piece of property, and I'm sure they got a mint for it when they sold it. Who owns it now?

I'd say 80-90% of the time I ride by that field in the morning or evening I see deer. Not sure it's a good place for an archery quota hunt though...too much in fields and too few spots for stands. Plus a huge safety zone around the soccer fields and Mcginnis Ferry. Maybe enough room for 10-12 hunters?

ucfireman

I say do a limited number of gun hunters and just close the area to ANYONE not hunting. Maybe shotgun or Muzzle loaders only.

Waddams

It's a wastewater treatment plant now. The fields are irrigated with land application water discharge from the plant, they grow hay or something and occasionally harvest it. The surrounding land is all either suburb development or parks, with a bit of undeveloped land that's mainly wooded and thick. I tried contacting a few of the bigger parcel landowners to see if they'd let me get in there to try archery. They weren't interested, lol!

I work in the wastewater industry. It's a bit of dream to eventually get a project there, get in good with the plant guys, and get permission to sneak in occasionally but I have a feeling the plant guys likely reserve the grounds for themselves. It was the same at a plant site in Henry County - that place was crawling with deer and the hunters on the plant site guarded the property from outsiders pretty fiercely. I guess I would too if I were them.

My wife and I like to put in tubes along the 'Hootch in that stretch and float down. We put in at a park above the McG Ferry plant and float down to the ramp at McG Ferry. We ALWAYS see deer putting in. One day, someone's gonna figure out the suburb deer population needs to be thinned out and start figuring out ways to do it (like letting bow hunters stick a few in those parks occasionally). The population around George Pierce Park in Suwanee is out of control too. When I lived in Suwanee, I'd regularly see doe groups of a dozen cruise by behind my house. This was before I got into hunting. These days, if I still lived in that house, I'd have a suppressed 300 black out and I'd just sit on the back deck early/late and drop one discretely if I needed to refill the freezer. I had cover nobody would see it and they wouldn't hear it.

Latest posts