Whats your range?

Geezer Ray

Understanding it really comes down to an individuals ability. What's your range for hunting deer? How far out do you feel comfortable ?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Mine depends on the gun and the caliber.
Scoped 30-30 contender with hot 125gr BallisticTip handload, About 100 yd with good rest. I've put down 2 further than that...
.357 and 41 mag revolvers, about 40 yds...
35 Rem iron sighted Contender with hot 170gr hollowpoint (.357 bullet), somewhere in between...

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've killed one handgun deer, years ago. Taurus Raging Bull .44 with a red dot, about 40 yards.

My current hunting handgun is a Glock 40MOS 10mm. With a Vortex Venom all rested up, I feel good to 50 on paper or clays.

In reality, I'm in my third season waiting on a nice 25ish yard shot on a deer with the pistol.

It goes on every hunt, just in case.

Robust Redhorse

It all depends on the cartridge and the optics.

I use autos and six-guns with open sights in normal "handgun" cartridges, so about 40 yards is my limit.

If I had a bolt-action or single-shot with a "rifle" cartridge, like a .243, .260. .308, etc. with a scope, I think a 200-yard+ shot is completely "ethical".

A conventional handgun with a optic can stretch thing a little farther.

I prefer to just use a rifle in those situations.

pacecars

As they have said it comes down to the gun, rest, terrain and animals disposition but let’s say I have a rest and the animal is calm, with my Freedom Arms .454 Casull with a 2x scope 150 - 200 yds is feasible, iron sighted .500 Linebaugh I am going to keep it around 100 yds, 10 mm Mag S&W 610 with the red dot 75 yards, 10mm Delta Elite 50 yds

pacecars

I have had T/C Encores and Contenders and bolt action pistols in rifle calibers that make shots at 400 yds quite doable

BDD

S&W 629, 2X scope, off hand 65 yards. I usually have a walking stick with a strap on the end my hand fits thru to rest on, that can add another 20 yards.

Gbass4567

S&W 629, 2X scope, off hand 65 yards. I usually have a walking stick with a strap on the end my hand fits thru to rest on, that can add another 20 yards.
With my s&w 629 with a 2x7x32 I only hunt off a rest and I'm very accurate at 100 yards! I have taken several hogs at that range!

deerslayer357

Open sighted revolver or semi- 50 yards
Encore- 125+
Scoped super redhawk- 75 ish with a good rest.

Anvil Head

Prefer to get close enough to hear them breathing, but that's the way I learned as an actual meat hunter. No kill - no eat in my early years. Heck Big Daddy (Mom's dad) was Scotch-Irish and so tight with a dime Mercury winced and Lincoln cried. We reloaded .22's in the kitchen on bad weather days. Every shot was expected to produce.
Man I loved it back in the day! Don't hunt anymore, just go to the deep woods to watch. A fresh tree rat ever now and then is fine with me.

B. White

I use iron sights and probably wouldn't chance it over 30 yds nowadays. My consistency drops off dramatically at longer ranges. I have made some miraculous shots a long ways off and some bad ones. Not worth the gamble for me.

deast1988

10 deer, avg 45yds furthest was 85yds.
7x30 waters contender
6.8spc contender
44mag model 29
.500 mag encore

I feel comfortable to 100yds, with the single shots. 75yds with the revolver.

Dub

As most everyone has emphasized....for me the max range comes down to the stability of the rest....if any.

I've been in the habit of bringing along a .44mag or 10mm on hunts, but always when I was primarily rifle hunting. I've only used the .44mag up close to the stand. It has been hard for me to put the rifle down on shots beyond 20yds.

I now have a couple scoped handguns that may have me extending the range....just depends on that stability of the rest.

pacecars

It comes down to equipment and practice. I will practice with this one out to 300 yards and if I have a stable rest and a cooperative target animal I will take the shot

specialk

.41 mag "super 14" t/c (14inch bbl) w/ 4x luey....50yds