When it gets late?

Ole3Toe

What do yall do when deer come in after shooting light and your still in the stand? I sat last night for an hour listening to deer eat acorns under my stand. Finally i shook a limb and they ran off. Hopefully i did not spook them too bad. Just wondering what other people do when this happens to them?

GADawg08

break out my spotlight...duh!!!:rofl:....but on a serious note, I wouldn't shake a limb as it could give your tree up to them. I would suggest taking something and tossing it at them. I've done it and know several guys that do it. Got one buddy that says that's all his bottle of BFO is good for

Tank1202

Had something similar happen in a food plot last year. Ended up throwing a water bottle in the field. A small 6 and a spike was in the food plot when it happened and the both showed back up the next night.

ryanh487

I will not get out of a stand and risk pointing myself out to a deer.

I did discover that growling like a dog does a great job of getting them to leave without high alarm or looking around at where it's coming from. Last time I walked up to a field full of deer I tried it before they saw me and they just twitched their tails and trotted off.

satchmo

Bark

What do yall do when deer come in after shooting light and your still in the stand? I sat last night for an hour listening to deer eat acorns under my stand. Finally i shook a limb and they ran off. Hopefully i did not spook them too bad. Just wondering what other people do when this happens to them?

I lived in Indiana and it happened more to me there than anywhere. A guy told me ( who's property I hunted)that his dog barks at them all the time and they leave ,but always come back later. I bark every time I get out in the evening. It works and they never know it's me.

Kris87

I lived in Indiana and it happened more to me there than anywhere. A guy told me ( who's property I hunted)that his dog barks at them all the time and they leave ,but always come back later. I bark every time I get out in the evening. It works and they never know it's me.

I've done this now twice and it worked ok for me. The only issue I had doing it is I literally had to bark as loud as I could and make some movement in the tree. I did it in GA and KY last year. When I first started, the deer didn't care one bit. I had to get pretty animated before they all ran off. Crazy. :D

j_seph

Through my water bottle at a doe and fawn last year while sitting at the top of a downed tree on the ground. Wasted the water and the 2 continued on eating acorns. Guessing they were raised on the side of the road and used to folks throwing stuff at them.

Ole3Toe

Seems barking would give up position also, with deer being able to hear really good. I guess different things work for diff people. Just trying to get some ideas...

chris41081

Get you a remote controlled car with headlights. You can chase them all off.
Seriously though, I usually try to find a stick or somthing to throw.