Where are the big bucks?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Each year when the season opens, our cameras only get young bucks and does in the woods. We've noticed that when the cotton fields are harvested, big bucks begin to show up in the woods. When the corn is harvested, hogs show up in greater numbers. Friend who sprays cotton fields says, that's where old bucks like to lay up. Guess they know nothing can sneak up on them in those rough plants, and cotton seed in good to eat. Years ago when I had cattle, old timers said cotton seed meal would make cattle go blind if they ate too much. Doesn't seem to hurt those old bucks. They only go blind when the rut begins. Opening weekend, we took out two hogs, one boar, one large sow. Deer were seen, but none shot. Might say I have a bunch of trophy hunters in the group. And finally, it got cold this time, in several past seasons I hunted in short sleeve shirts.
Having cell cameras has helped in helping me decide when and where to go. Tried Spy point, they haven't worked out so well. Now trying Moultrie edge and they are working great so far.
I say the big bucks are still hanging in and around farm fields, that's why they are not showing up on camera in Miller Co. Ga.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Deer coming in the yard at night are eating every plant I have except marigolds. They even eat citrus leaves, ponsettia's, tomato plants and cowhorn peppers. I've had to put up a fence charger to save the roses which they have almost devastated.

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 77

Gator89

Deer coming in the yard at night are eating every plant I have except marigolds. They even eat citrus leaves, ponsettia's, tomato plants and cowhorn peppers. I've had to put up a fence charger to save the roses which they have almost devastated.

Only flowers the deer in WI would leave alone were my marigolds. They ate my hostas, my day lilies, cone flowers, black-eyed susan, etc. Only way to have outdoor plants was to put a wire "basket" over them or a fence.

The deer never tried to jump a 4 foot poultry wire fence to get in my garden. I know they could have, but I guess other groceries were so abundant they did not need to exert themselves.

DynamicDennis

Hopefully at my place, at least 2 of them. (one for my daughter and one for my dad)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Deer broke down the fence around my garden. One apparently got tangled up in the fence evidenced by how tangled up the fence was, with the ground torn up in the area. They got my peas, beans and eggplants anyway. Fence charger is the way to go

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Deer broke down the fence around my garden. One apparently got tangled up in the fence evidenced by how tangled up the fence was, with the ground torn up in the area. They got my peas, beans and eggplants anyway. Fence charger is the way to go

Darkhorse

Yes a fence charger is the way to go. I have run electric fence to keep deer and hogs out of my horse pastures. Don't let anybody ever tell you that an electric fence won't keep out deer and hogs.
I have depended on an electric fence to control the large pests for over 40 years and they have done a great job.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cams not getting much deer activity in the woods, but plenty in my yard at night. Could be the reason my neighbors don't have flowers or gardens.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We're seeing plenty deer in w. Miller county Ga, but no big bucks. killing a few hogs, no deer yet. Typical for our woods, they don't get good until about Thanksgiving and after. Last season, the rut was wide open the last four days of the season.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
They are hanging out in the thick swamps.

Attachments

• rub a dub.jpg
    rub a dub.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 8

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Remained home this morning to clean up yard leaves and run the boat a bit. Camera's got 2 rack bucks each this morning. On a food plot, two rack bucks at 8, and in the swamp, 2 rack bucks at 7, one had an odd side on his rack. Guess they were looking for me....lol So foggy, can't tell anything about points on none of them.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Morning hunt aborted. Refrigerator quit cooling,. Defrost element went out. Defrosted the coils and ordered the part from Amazon. Back to deer hunting now, it'll be next Wed, before the part arrives they say. 17.35 for the part.
I didn't miss much, cam at the stand got a bunch of large boar hogs this morning. And one small buck.