Where is god?

Baroque Brass

I know this has been discussed before, but with everyone’s indulgence I’d like to reopen it.

Within the last week, I’ve learned of two young men, both active Christians and with young children, that have been diagnosed with cancer, with one prognosis being especially ominous. So it begs the question, where is god and why isn’t he already working miracle cures? We’re back to either god can’t, or chooses not to. If it’s the latter, then young families will be left without a father and wage earner. If it’s the former, what is god waiting on?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I personally believe there is a God and pray there is a God, but I can't give wieght to any of the many attributes that man has given God.
Some claim to know what can only be believed.
One or two of them should be along any time now.

earlthegoat2

Having gone to a Catholic school from K-12, we were told all sorts of things about why God let’s bad things happen.

Its Gods plan
God does not play an active role in human lives.
Sometimes bad things just happen
God tests us
God will never put us through anything we cannot handle.

A few others along those lines as well.

None of these were ever satisfactory answers for me so as such, I have a very skeptical religious outlook.

I have had two close family members die of cancer in their early 30s. I don’t think too much on that as being related to God so much as I am a bit of a fatalist and will say something to the effect of “sometimes bad things just happen” or “life is not fair”.

Sure, rationalizing it that way does not in any way minimize the human suffering which entails most tragic and early loss of human life but neither does saying “that was Gods plan”.

If anything, the belief in God gives a bit of solace to those left behind. Those who believe in heaven and **** should be happy that a good person will end up in heaven. This is often voiced with something along the line of, “he/she is in a better place”.

Still the more cynical among us will say the invention of religion was just a way to justify all the bad thing that have ever happened. The fact there is a paranormal slant to it makes it all the more convenient.

brutally honest

We live in fallen world, and terrible things sometimes happen. In the last 100 years alone, we’ve had two world wars and a Cold War. Communism killed 100 million. In the 14th century, the plague killed an estimated 75-200 million people.

I don’t know how consoling that is, but early Christians were thrown to the lions and never lost their faith in God.

Baroque Brass

“God does not play an active role in human lives.” Then why pray for healing? If you go to church, you hear about all the wonderful things that god has done. But when it’s something bad, like cancer, god didn’t do it, yet he’s omnipotent and controls everything. A hurricane can destroy lives and property but prayer makes it better. If god is in control, why did he create the hurricane?

To the believers, I’m not trying to poke fun or agitate, these are the things about religion that I don’t understand and to which I have never gotten an answer.

oldfella1962

I know this has been discussed before, but with everyone’s indulgence I’d like to reopen it.

Within the last week, I’ve learned of two young men, both active Christians and with young children, that have been diagnosed with cancer, with one prognosis being especially ominous. So it begs the question, where is god and why isn’t he already working miracle cures? We’re back to either god can’t, or chooses not to. If it’s the latter, then young families will be left without a father and wage earner. If it’s the former, what is god waiting on?
Indeed, you ask a very deep question based on an all too frequent occurrence. :( But all religious ideas aside, MEDICAL SCIENCE has many diligent people working hard on curing cancer and other illnesses/diseases and as medical maladies are being vanquished it is medical science and its hard-working advocates & experts that accomplish these things.

Baroque Brass

I know of a gynecologist that often discussed the power of prayer for healing. I asked her that if she diagnosed a patient with ovarian cancer if she would pray for the patient and send her home or schedule the patient for surgery. She said “both”, so she must not convinced of the power of prayer.

oldfella1962

We live in fallen world, and terrible things sometimes happen. In the last 100 years alone, we’ve had two world wars and a Cold War. Communism killed 100 million. In the 14th century, the plague killed an estimated 75-200 million people.

I don’t know how consoling that is, but early Christians were thrown to the lions and never lost their faith in God.
It is consoling to some people, but to others not so much. I personally don't believe in a "fallen world" and it is my belief (I have no evidence) that X events will occur whether we assign a meaning to X events or not. We live in an imperfect, chaotic world and very likely an imperfect, chaotic universe. How humans interpret or describe the universe will not change nor affect the functioning of the universe. All humans can really do - what is within our grasp - is to help other humans deal with their pain & suffering - and try to alleviate their pain & suffering - in tangible ways. Just mt 2 cents.

dslc6487

Good question, "where is God". I don't know. I was raised and taught to believe that God is the most powerful entity in the world. So, all things that happen are God's Will, or, He allows them to happen. So, how does He make His selection of who suffers and who does not? My wife has ALS and is near the end of a very agonizing life. On a feeding tube, can't talk, can't use hands or legs, has to be placed on toilet, bed, or power chair with a lift. Why did God choose her? I do not know. Why did God choose all of the children at St. Judes Hospital to suffer and a lot of them die with cancer, while other children grow up, have a great life, and become very successful people. I don't know. I often hear the response to this question by, "there is evil in the world". And, any idiot can flip on the news and see that there is plenty of evil in this world. So, is all of the evil God's Will, or, is He allowing it to happen. Has to be one or the other if He is the most powerful entity in the world.
I do not know the answer to this question and none of us do.
I do know that I am mad at God for my wife's ALS. And, now my 2 daughters have a 50% chance of having this nightmare and my 6 grandchildren hace a 25% chance of it also. Was it His Will or did He just allow it to happen. Don't know. But our "journey" with this disease has made me move further from God than I have ever been. If being mad and cursing God will send me to **** then I am well on my way. Hard for me to believe in a loving God. Bible tells us to be happy and joyful in any situation including our trials and tribulations. And, that blessings will come to us as a result of us being faithful. When Job was going through all of his trials, I know that he did not know that at the end of his journey, he was going to get everything back, and even more. After 46 years of marriage, I am going to lose my wife in a very short period of time. Blessing? I don't know. But, if there is a loving God, I will be anxiously waiting to see what that blessing will be, if there will be such.........

oldfella1962

“God does not play an active role in human lives.” Then why pray for healing? If you go to church, you hear about all the wonderful things that god has done. But when it’s something bad, like cancer, god didn’t do it, yet he’s omnipotent and controls everything. A hurricane can destroy lives and property but prayer makes it better. If god is in control, why did he create the hurricane?

To the believers, I’m not trying to poke fun or agitate, these are the things about religion that I don’t understand and to which I have never gotten an answer.
I have similar questions and I get plenty of answers - but few of the answers make sense to me. The answers I get are best described by the picture below.

plug.jpg

oldfella1962

I know of a gynecologist that often discussed the power of prayer for healing. I asked her that if she diagnosed a patient with ovarian cancer if she would pray for the patient and send her home or schedule the patient for surgery. She said “both”, so she must not convinced of the power of prayer.
"Trust in Allah - but still tie up your camels anyway".
Anyway, it could be that she is being realistic. Even if she thinks prayer works, medical science works too. Between the two agencies, the patient may be okay.

Baroque Brass

I have similar questions and I get plenty of answers - but few of the answers make sense to me. The answers I get are best described by the picture below.

View attachment 1256821
I’ve noticed that often when theologians are asked the difficult questions, they will dodge the question because they don’t have an answer. I had a pastor once answer with “I don’t know, there are lots of things I don’t understand “. If the theologian can’t answer religious questions, who can?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Good question, "where is God". I don't know. I was raised and taught to believe that God is the most powerful entity in the world. So, all things that happen are God's Will, or, He allows them to happen. So, how does He make His selection of who suffers and who does not? My wife has ALS and is near the end of a very agonizing life. On a feeding tube, can't talk, can't use hands or legs, has to be placed on toilet, bed, or power chair with a lift. Why did God choose her? I do not know. Why did God choose all of the children at St. Judes Hospital to suffer and a lot of them die with cancer, while other children grow up, have a great life, and become very successful people. I don't know. I often hear the response to this question by, "there is evil in the world". And, any idiot can flip on the news and see that there is plenty of evil in this world. So, is all of the evil God's Will, or, is He allowing it to happen. Has to be one or the other if He is the most powerful entity in the world.
I do know that I am mad at God for my wife's ALS. And, now my 2 daughters have a 50% chance of having this nightmare and my 6 grandchildren hace a 25% chance of it also. Was it His Will or did He just allow it to happen. Don't know. But our "journey" with this disease has made me move further from God than I have ever been. If being mad and cursing God will send me to **** then I am well on my way. Hard for me to believe in a loving God. Bible tells us to be happy and joyful in any situation including our trials and tribulations. And, that blessings will come to us as a result of us being faithful. When Job was going through all of his trials, I know that he did not know that at the end of his journey, he was going to get everything back, and even more. After 46 years of marriage, I am going to lose my wife in a very short period of time. Blessing? I don't know. But, if there is a loving God, I will be anxiously waiting to see what that blessing will be, if there will be such.........
When you see someone you love hurting, it is not uncommon to wonder where 'God is in the scheme of things. While I don't have all the answers, I do believe in a loving God that only has plans for our good. How it all works out, I don't know. Neither does anyone else.

I hope you find peace and strength in your journey

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Powerful post. Condolences and thank you for sharing.

earlthegoat2

“God does not play an active role in human lives.” Then why pray for healing?

Sure. That was just one of the many things we were told years and years ago and I’m sure they are still told to this day.

One thing I noticed while typing my post was the contradictions between “It’s Gods plan” and “God does not play an active role in human lives”. Just one of the many inconsistencies you can get out of religious studies if you ask too many questions.

Another good one is “God is too great to understand”. Once again, highly convenient that we are not meant to understand after all. Just pray and have faith.

I struggle with my faith every day. The one sure thing in my life that I do believe in, is myself. There are thousands of things out there I can achieve or attain not through prayer or faith but through putting in the work myself. No one said God would ease any burdens and yet people claim that has happened to them through prayer.

I remember a quote about prayer that is meant to be humorous.

“When you talk to God, it is prayer. When God talks to you, it is schizophrenia.” This of course, pokes fun at the relationship between the people of God and the people of science. It makes you ponder though.

brutally honest

I’ve noticed that often when theologians are asked the difficult questions, they will dodge the question because they don’t have an answer. I had a pastor once answer with “I don’t know, there are lots of things I don’t understand “. If the theologian can’t answer religious questions, who can?

“As astronomers gaze into the depths of space, they do so with unease: They don’t know precisely what the universe is made of.”

Last edited:

brutally honest

God started us out in Eden, a place without sickness and disease. Adam and Eve messed that up.

brutally honest

I do know that I am mad at God for my wife's ALS.

Satan is the ruler of this world.

"And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness." - 1 John 5:19

" ...the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not ..." - 2 Corinth. 4:4

If Satan has convinced you to blame God, he's accomplished his goals. Satan:

" ... was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." - John 8:44