Which Boat?

Redman54

What's funny is I saw a video come across YouTube the other day for a new bay boat that "wouldn't break the bank". It was about a $120k boat. I think we have different banks...

Definitely a different bank than mine....
I have a 198 DLV, and it gets used A LOT! We mainly fish inshore. It's perfect for my family of 5. Plenty of room, can go in really skinny water and is as stable as they come. We can fish 6 people, can run right up on the beach to unload, then slide her back out to anchor. But like many others have said, it rides rough in big chop, just have to back out the throttle a little bit. I honestly love my boat.

My dad has a 23' Wellcraft. It rides like a dream in any chop. Have gone as far as 40 miles out with no issues. It's roomy for riding but gets crowded really fast when trying to fish more than 4 or 5. You won't get in any skinny water with it and is a pain to take to the beach.

Decide what you will use it for most and pick one accordingly.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
BOOOOOM!!!
That's what I got. It's awesome for the combination of inshore and lakes mentioned in the OP!
Everything about the Caymen 246 makes us happy. One of the most impressive things to me is the amount of gear/stuff that can be packed aboard the Caymen and still have NOTHING visable on deck!!
I know they are pricy new but Used maybe won't be too expensive.... Idk I ain't priced em in a while.

sea trout

I've had 4 boats in the 16-18 ft range, I won't have another less than 20. One of my best friends just bought a 22ft K2 and it's just about perfect for the lake, the flats, and short offshore runs.

But this is also me boat shopping

View attachment 1160397

And me at the boat ramp

Nice!
That white Sundance skiff in my avatar picture had a mid 80's model 2 stroke Evenrude 225 on the back of it! It was fun! Loud and quick!

Ihunt

I have a Carolina Skiff 258DLV. It is a great boat for many things but when waves get over 1’ it is not one of them. My son is also about to go to college so I do not need a lake/tubing boat which it was great at.

Mine will be at The Grass Shack in 3 weeks with a 4 sale sign on it.

Gutbucket

That Rabalo 246 is really nice. I've been saving my money for a Blue Wave 2400 Pure Bay. I'm getting close but not quite there yet. I don't have a picture but it is purty too!! ???

Rabun

Another 246 Cayman owner. Bought at the boat show in 2016 around 87k fully outfitted w vhf, simrad 12”, min kota terrova 112lb w three AGM bats, two onboard chargers, bow seating, table top,T top. If they’re up in the 120’s base they have really gone up. Robalo also makes a cayman 22 as well. I highly recommend a bay boat too. I settled on the cayman because of the layout, storage as Sea Trout mentioned and comfy seating. Let us know where you land. It’s exciting being in the boat market.

Blackston

Nice!
That white Sundance skiff in my avatar picture had a mid 80's model 2 stroke Evenrude 225 on the back of it! It was fun! Loud and quick!
My boat in my early 20’s was a 80’s 17’ Whaler with a 235 Evinrude ( 6 gal an hour however ya ran it , we called it the 2thirsty5 ) It was also fast loud n quick !!!! ….. Thanks for the trip down memory lane !!

sea trout

My boat in my early 20’s was a 80’s 17’ Whaler with a 235 Evinrude ( 6 gal an hour however ya ran it , we called it the 2thirsty5 ) It was also fast loud n quick !!!! ….. Thanks for the trip down memory lane !!
Yep! The two thirsty five! My neighbor is a mechanic from Naples Fl. When he was down there he told me how their shop used the Evenrude 235 for racing boats.
My 225 on the 20 ft skiff... I believe, on the water at idle, when I'd hammer down from dead stop...... when the back of the boat reached where the front of the boat was, it was on plane!
The guy I got it from, about 15 years ago, said him and a friend had it doin 70 down the flint river before. Idk. But we had it up to 60 on Lazarretto creek at Tybee and I had to back down. It lost water contact and I didn't feel I had control of it so it scared me.

sea trout

Another 246 Cayman owner. Bought at the boat show in 2016 around 87k fully outfitted w vhf, simrad 12”, min kota terrova 112lb w three AGM bats, two onboard chargers, bow seating, table top,T top. If they’re up in the 120’s base they have really gone up. Robalo also makes a cayman 22 as well. I highly recommend a bay boat too. I settled on the cayman because of the layout, storage as Sea Trout mentioned and comfy seating. Let us know where you land. It’s exciting being in the boat market.
And to add to that they look fantastic, and are so stable even with multiple people moving around the boat

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It lost water contact and I didn't feel I had control of it so it scared me.
That's called a "prop is the only thing in the water death wobble".. been there... don't ever won't to go there again.

sea trout

That's called a "prop is the only thing in the water death wobble".. been there... don't ever won't to go there again.
Me neither
I've seen some fast bass boats run like that before on lake Hartwell, and I've seen it on tv before. But I like safety too much.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Me neither
I've seen some fast bass boats run like that before on lake Hartwell, and I've seen it on tv before. But I like safety too much.
Let's put it this way..... You're not gonna have the ability to turn quick if need be with that little "rudder" in the water.

perryrip

TDB,
Not a good boat market right now. Wait about 12 months and you'll start seeing a lot more inventory when the economy tanks. Prices right now are higher than I've ever seen them. If you've got time, I'd recommend taking your time. Ride a friends bay boat. Bay boat is probably the most versatile way to go based on your usage description. I've had several bay boats and anything over 22 feet is more difficult for a one man operation unless you have a lot of boating experience. Carolina skiffs are very roomy but will rattle the dentures out of your head in the chop we see down here. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Scallen

Depends on what you mean by "inshore" and how you plan on fishing - if you do fish. I have a 16' Tracker Panfish that will get me way back in the skinny creeks in the marsh where the redfish like to roam. But it has to be a really calm day to get even around the edges of the St Simon or Jekyll Sounds (and just forget St Andrew Sound in that boat). Then I had my Hydrasport 2500 WA. I've taken on 6' seas in that boat, and used it for shark fishing out in the ocean. But it was useless trying to fish back in the sound or rivers unless I anchored up in deeper water, and forget trying to get up a creek. So now I am building an 18' center console with a 21-degree deadrise to try to compromise.

If you want to fish around the shell beds for speckled trout or reds, up in a couple feet of water, that 246 Cayman is going to be just too big. If you want to get out front for sharks, tarpon, bull reds and etc., then that 1720 is too small for all but the best of days. There's not a boat to do it all on the coast - so decide where in the system (creeks, rivers/bays, or ocean) you want to be most of the time and go from there.

Erikh425

I've been following, so I figured I would chime in. I live on, and fish around, SSI. I currently have a 21.5 CC Sea Fox with a 175 on it. I use that in the sounds around SSI, Jekyll and Cumberland. I also use it to head out to the reefs to jig or troll on nice days. F, SFC and HLHA are about as far as I venture. I also like to chase reds, trout and flounder. I found that my boat with the deep V just can't get where I want to go in the marsh. I have kayaks, but they are not always ideal. I picked up a Soloskiff with a 6HP engine for pretty cheap. It is essentially a 14ft kayak with a motor. This has been my go to for marsh fishing. It floats in just a few inches of water, can be poled easily on the flats and it goes about 17MPH, which is too fast in a little boat. The only downside is that it only holds one person and I have 2 kids. Long story short, I have had a ton of boats over the last 30 years. I just don't think there is a boat that can do it all. The Cayman 246 that others talk about above is a sweet boat, but I am pretty sure it won't be up on the flats in the marsh. If the market ever straightens out, I will be in the market for a new big boat, but this is a rough time to look at boats due to price.

That's my $.02
Erik

hunterofopportunity

I wanted new but prices kept jumping so I found a good used boat. I looked and argued with myself for over a year when I was looking for another boat. Skiff, vee bottom, length, motor size. I finally found a boat in my range that checks all my boxes. Drafts 13 inches, semi vee bottom, wide and 25 inch deep sides and came with garmen and trolling motor, live wells. I fish in rivers, inshore and out to ktk about 12 miles comfortably. It's a 2010 Tidewater 196 adventure with a yamaha 150 4 stroke and so far its been great.