Which fishing kayak?

HuntinJake_23

Looking at getting a kayak for fishing; will mainly use it in ponds, lake coves, and bay fishing. I’ve been eyeing two kayaks at academy that are within my budget: Perception outlaw 11.5 (weight limit 425lbs) and the Pelican the catch mode 110 (weight limit 375lbs). I am 5’10” 320lbs. Any input is appreciated.IMG_5073.pngIMG_5074.pngIMG_5075.pngIMG_5076.pngIMG_5077.png

weagle

I'm a big fan of the Pelican Catch Kayaks. I have 2 and my brothers and nephews also fish from Pelican Catch.

The laminated hull is tougher and lighter than the rotomolded kayaks and they are also affordable. I'm 6'2" 230 and have no trouble fishing from the Catch 100. I also have a Catch 110 HD with a trolling motor added.

Last edited:

kayaksteve

Out of the two I’d go with the perception. But either one will probably serve you well for your purposes. If it’s gonna be a kayak used a lot, hauled around regularly, sometimes left in the elements, floating the river now and then, I’d spend a little more. Just for casual pond and lake fishing I’d say those would be a good choice. You can spend a lot more money and get a lot better kayak but it’s not necessary. I’ve bought and sold many and still ain’t got what I would really like but am satisfied for what I have in it and what it does. 10 footers are nice in the river shoals but I wouldn’t go any less than 12 for lake and pond fishing.

Heathenx

I have a couple of Perception yaks. Different models though. They are well built, seat is comfortable, and it has1000000299.jpg cavity for a transducer. The Pelican seems like a good choice also.

S.Tanner

My advice would be to take that budget for the perception and go find a good used Jackson or something similar. I’ve spent a lot of time in kayaks. Most of the jackson, old town, native, etc will have a bunch of things built in to help you enjoy time on the water. I’m a big fan of the Jackson Coosa HD. It’s a great boat that I have used for rivers, ponds, Gulf of Mexico off the beach for kings, bay for reds, etc. A lot of people bought stuff a couple years back when everyone was looking for something to do and somewhere to spend the new found money. A bunch of them never got used a whole bunch. Should be able to find a decent deal on marketplace with cash in hand.

Don’t get anything shorter than a 12’. Seat makes all the difference.

theloniousmonk

I've got the 12 ft Pelican Catch and I love it, it's slower and tracks like a sonofa, but it's comfortable and stable. I imagine the 10 is the same, just less stable.

Perceptions are good yaks, I've borrowed a couple but not that particular model.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Lotsa good advice above. I would tell you look for stability vs maneuverability. You’re not shooting heavy rapids, your fishing. I ride an older Ocean Kayak Big Game and like it a lot. I’ve owned Jackson’s and they are great kayaks.

sprewett

Go to a place where you can get in them and get a feel for it. The wrong gear can make for a pretty bad experience. I'm not sure where you are located but there are several places in North Georgia that have places to sit/float in a pool before you buy.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My Old Town Predator MX has served me well. They are pricey like the Jacksons but the quality is worth the extra price.

Gamecock

I have two Vibes, a 13" Yellowfin Tandem and a 10" Yellowfin. Both are great. The 10" is great for solo, very maneuverable. The 13" is great because I can take the wife or son, or take out a seat and go solo (or take the dog).

I got each used and saved a bunch. They have pole holders build in too and you can kit it out how you want with the rails, etc. Since they are in Kennesaw you have a great support network as well and a physical store. I support local.