Which of these calibers would you shoot...

Long Cut

Y’all can brow beat calibers all day long.

What optic, reticle, bullets and practice are being done to prepare for longer range shots?

Here’s a link to a Leupold VX3HD test done on the Rokslide forums. I follow these closely as it saves me time, money and headaches afield. As you can see, this brand new Leupold would have caused a miss/wound if shot at 400 yards. No drops, etc the gun also lost zero sitting in a truck riding around.

If you want a reliable, long long range capable optic, I’d look closely at Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce, SWFA or Trijicon Ten Mile. Swaro, Kahles and Arken are possible contenders as well.

Long Cut

Man that's an indictment of the Leupold above!

Don’t read the Q&A portion of the above review, then.

Big7

The Oracle
Y’all can brow beat calibers all day long.

What optic, reticle, bullets and practice are being done to prepare for longer range shots?

Here’s a link to a Leupold VX3HD test done on the Rokslide forums. I follow these closely as it saves me time, money and headaches afield. As you can see, this brand new Leupold would have caused a miss/wound if shot at 400 yards. No drops, etc the gun also lost zero sitting in a truck riding around.

If you want a reliable, long long range capable optic, I’d look closely at Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce, SWFA or Trijicon Ten Mile. Swaro, Kahles and Arken are possible contenders as well.
I am a Leupold guy for sure but I'm in total agreement with you on ballistics, optics and DOPE for anything past about 400yds.

Shot ain't worth a hoot in a miss or wounded animal.

Long Cut

I am a Leupold guy for sure but I'm in total agreement with you on ballistics, optics and DOPE for anything past about 400yds.

Shot ain't worth a hoot in a miss or wounded animal.

I’m not against Leupold nor do I favor any particular brand. I will shoot anything that’s within my budget and has been proven by others or myself.

Unfortunately people fixate more over calibers than actually practicing and testing their setups (optics, bullets, shooting ability).

I urge anyone, shoot 10 shots at 100, strap your gun in its case case to your ATV/SXS/Truck and drive around for a couple hours.
Go shoot another 10 shot group at 100 and see if you have a shift.

Did you miss that deer because you pulled the shot or your optic/rings failed?

Me personally, I’d prefer to test my setup beforehand. As to prevent any headache and heartache later down the road.

Arrow3

Thank yall for so many great responses...

Several have said shoot what you're comfortable with...

I have killed more then 150 deer with my 270.. It has had a trigger job and has been a constant killer.

I haven't killed a deer with my 243 in 35 years probably.

I've never shot the 6mm or 30-06 . Both are newly acquired.

Both the 308 and 7mm-08 are shooters. I love Both of them.