Who remembers NASCAR?

LTZ25

That was probably the year that I saw Richard Petty at Yellow River Drag Way, at least I think that that was the name. The drag strip had a hump half way down and you could hardly see the finish.
Do you remember when Huston Platt went into the crowd and killed about a dozen ? They later built a trailer park there and the drag strip became the main road in the park .

georgia357

Do you remember when Huston Platt went into the crowd and killed about a dozen ? They later built a trailer park there and the drag strip became the main road in the park .

If I remember right, there were a couple of tragidies at Ga drag strips. Seems like one also went into the stands at Commerce and killed some people. Used to be able to stand right at the track but they moved the stands way away from the cars.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I remember going to AMS as a kid and staying in the pits. The drivers all used the same restroom as the regular folks in the pits. I think i dripped a little p on Elliotts shoe at the ole trough. I couldn't have been more than 8-10 yrs old.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
1984 IROC

39252971_1824013801011499_3433086996006830080_n.jpg

WishboneW

Used to go to the Southern 500 in Darlington in the early 70’s. Marty Robbins raced there as well Allison, Jr Johnson, and the king

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I remember going to AMS as a kid and staying in the pits. The drivers all used the same restroom as the regular folks in the pits. I think i dripped a little p on Elliotts shoe at the ole trough. I couldn't have been more than 8-10 yrs old.

Just be glad is wasn't Dave Marcis's wingtips.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
my friend had his little boy on his shoukders at Yellow River and the boy was killed when the accident happened. BlB

That is terrible. Drag racing is a dangerous sport, I have witnessed a couple of bad wrecks, where safety for the spectators, never was considered. People watching a race from ten foot away and not even so much as a guard rail between them and a car running close to 200 MPH.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Richard Petty drag racing tragedy at Southeastern Dragway in Dallas, GA, and later "43 jr" restoration.
43Jr_04_2000-700x525.jpg

Edit: Stories get fuzzy over the years. Petty buried the wrecked car, dug it up later, gave it to a friend, supposedly won't ever be restored.
43jr stories

Last edited:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
It's still there. It's a camp ground on the side by the river

chobrown

Got to meet Bobby Allison today. Didn’t get to spend a whole lot of time speaking with him but what a cool experience it was. Got me a couple autographs as well.

1D2210A4-9F92-4B23-A854-62E968464089.jpeg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Used to go to the Southern 500 in Darlington in the early 70’s. Marty Robbins raced there as well Allison, Jr Johnson, and the king

that was when the back straight now was the front straight then. I remember going to that track a few times. I was standing in line at the concession stand, and a woman came up and hugged my friend and was talking away to him. He later introduced us to Mrs Linda Petty.