Why Churches Must NOT Close Again

LittleDrummerBoy

Israel

BANNED
do you think the model, that is the most prevalent one and pointed to as "christian" in nature and most cases, has held a certain form (as commonly accepted) that is being refined (but really not redefined)...and that...in so many ways (too many ways) has held a resemblance to that form of temple worship of "time and place" that has been, and is to be consumed by the revelation of spirit and truth?

Having been around for just a little bit I cannot tell you how many times I have heard "the house of God" or "this house of God" in reference to brick and mortar, sticks and paint.

Or...as once was a very popular sign off for a particular program...and of general acceptance as part of being a "whole" person (and good citizen)..."go to the church of your choice"

One Lord, one church...the seeing of "it" is only in the seeking of Him.

LittleDrummerBoy

God does not live in buildings built by human hands. (Acts 17) The Holy Spirit lives in _people_ and we (believers) are the temple of the living God. In the video, I explain the church being "open" more in terms of the purported shepherds maintaining careful watch over the flock and not shutting off access of the flock to needed shepherding.

Given the way many shepherds go about their work in our culture, locking the church doors is one way shepherds cut off access, but the video also speaks to a number of other ways shepherds have restricted access during COVID. Without access, how are the shepherds keeping watch over the flock as men who must give an account? It's not really about maintaining the large Sunday gatherings or the buildings.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
a lot of pastors have been cut off from the flock at hospitals and such during this fiasco also. I know that our Care Minister that visits has been severely hampered in trying to visit sick folks in the hospital. Some hospitals will make exceptions for pastors, but there are a lot that say No. If there is a time when a pastor needs access to the family it is when they are facing a major illness, accident or medical procedure. The comfort of knowing that people are praying and concerned about you is very encouraging

My wife is still totally ticked off because she wasn't allowed to be at the birth of our last granddaughter back in March.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
a lot of pastors have been cut off from the flock at hospitals and such during this fiasco also. I know that our Care Minister that visits has been severely hampered in trying to visit sick folks in the hospital. Some hospitals will make exceptions for pastors, but there are a lot that say No. If there is a time when a pastor needs access to the family it is when they are facing a major illness, accident or medical procedure. The comfort of knowing that people are praying and concerned about you is very encouraging

My wife is still totally ticked off because she wasn't allowed to be at the birth of our last granddaughter back in March.
We missed the birth of both of our Grandboys. Thankful for FaceTime and Messenger Video Chat…….wasn’t for that we wouldn’t have been able to hear them cry, watch them drink a bottle or anything until they got home.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
God does not live in buildings built by human hands. (Acts 17) The Holy Spirit lives in _people_ and we (believers) are the temple of the living God. In the video, I explain the church being "open" more in terms of the purported shepherds maintaining careful watch over the flock and not shutting off access of the flock to needed shepherding.

Given the way many shepherds go about their work in our culture, locking the church doors is one way shepherds cut off access, but the video also speaks to a number of other ways shepherds have restricted access during COVID. Without access, how are the shepherds keeping watch over the flock as men who must give an account? It's not really about maintaining the large Sunday gatherings or the buildings.
It's not really about maintaining the large Sunday gatherings or the buildings.
I get what you’re saying about this^^^^^but at times your posts seem to discourage Sunday gatherings in a sense that it appears to justify finding yourself elsewhere……..besides where the church body is gathered.

There are circumstances such as Covid where it was in the best interest to shut the doors a few weeks. We had to no matter what the govt recommended or not……... we had two elderly pass away with it and both were in service a few days prior. We had to quarantine ourselves and the building for cleaning.

Years ago we had to shut the doors for two weeks due to a fire until we set up temporary. Outside of similar circumstances people should be encouraged to gather as one body.

Acts 2:1 “And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place”

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
With buildings empty, God can become King in you! For me, that’s worth more than a million buildings! Gather with your Christ families, the time is short!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I get what you’re saying about this^^^^^but at times your posts seem to discourage Sunday gatherings in a sense that it appears to justify finding yourself elsewhere……..besides where the church body is gathered.

There are circumstances such as Covid where it was in the best interest to shut the doors a few weeks. We had to no matter what the govt recommended or not……... we had two elderly pass away with it and both were in service a few days prior. We had to quarantine ourselves and the building for cleaning.

Years ago we had to shut the doors for two weeks due to a fire until we set up temporary. Outside of similar circumstances people should be encouraged to gather as one body.

Acts 2:1 “And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place”
Each congregation should do as they are led & not worry about what someone else accuses as sin.
We never closed. We met outside in the parking lot for weeks in the heat, then slowly transitioned back inside. We kept seating in the foyer & still have folks that sit in their cars & listen on the radio.
But if my Pastor & church leaders felt we should temporarily close for a valid reason I would support their decision. If someone accused us of sin, so be it. They're not my judge, thankfully.
Being judgemental is sin as well.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Each congregation should do as they are led & not worry about what someone else accuses as sin.
We never closed. We met outside in the parking lot for weeks in the heat, then slowly transitioned back inside. We kept seating in the foyer & still have folks that sit in their cars & listen on the radio.
But if my Pastor & church leaders felt we should temporarily close for a valid reason I would support their decision. If someone accused us of sin, so be it. They're not my judge, thankfully.
Being judgemental is sin as well.
Exactly!!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It struck me that this topic appeared on Christmas morning. Of all the days of the year, the day we celebrate the greatest act of love ever given to man.

”For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Peace!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
So long as the church makes a prayerful decision together, I won't judge them on whether they stay open or close. I believe the Lord will guide every church to where he needs them to be. Our church made the decision to close for a while early on but reopened when we felt we should. We haven't talked about closing this time.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Who is at fault?
A congregation who makes a prayerful decision about having service?
Or the ones who judge them for their decision?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Who is at fault?
A congregation who makes a prayerful decision about having service?
Or the ones who judge them for their decision?
I didn't know there was any fault to place. Every church has to make their own decision. I'll edit to add that early on when we didn't know much about Covid, I thought closing the sanctuary and having outside services was the right idea though.

gordon 2

So the ministers stopped ministry during covid? I was not aware of this going on. I know that some assembly buildings were locked in some cases, but I was unaware that access to the flock or the flock having access to the ministers were curtailed.

Hum...

I can see however how a pastor might what to close the doors of the church house to save his flock especially if the flock of sheep is one with a large proportion of " rules don't apply to me" sheep.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Call me perplexed. In March 2020 in your thread titled "Disappointed in church cancellations" you took umbrage at Church closures and you do so again in this thread. Yet, you have another thread regarding church attendance not being a priority in which you state, "There is NO assertion that brothers and sisters need not meet together - only that it need not be in a traditional western church on Sunday mornings."
which begs the question "Well if this thread isn't addressing "traditional western church" closures, then what exactly are you offended over. It's a moot point. If you're don't think traditional church is necessary, then what does their closure matter, whether by government or their own hand? Either you have chopped off the legs of your own high horse, or all of his 4 hooves are planted firmly in thin air. Which is it?

Beliefs and church populations are so varied I find it as asinine for a person of one church to bash another over closure (or remaining open) as I do for me to disparage another individual over whether they took the vaccine or not. Each (church and individual) must decide for themselves, and I respect whatever decision they make 100%. Anything else is hubris, plain and simple.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

If you watched the video, you'd realize that by church closures I mean the cutting off of access between shepherds and sheep. With the fishing ministry, I've spent a lot of time and effort since March 2020 trying to connect my guests with local churches near them. From this experience, I've learned that church closures went far beyond moving meetings online, but in many cases represented erection of many different barriers between the purported shepherds and men in need of shepherding - locked doors on buildings were only the tip of the iceberg.

Which of you disagrees that church leaders keep watch as men who must give an account? If access is cut off, the shepherds are not keeping watch. This is the SIN of closures - not the cancellation of meetings or changing the time, location, or manner of meetings.

gordon 2

If you watched the video, you'd realize that by church closures I mean the cutting off of access between shepherds and sheep. With the fishing ministry, I've spent a lot of time and effort since March 2020 trying to connect my guests with local churches near them. From this experience, I've learned that church closures went far beyond moving meetings online, but in many cases represented erection of many different barriers between the purported shepherds and men in need of shepherding - locked doors on buildings were only the tip of the iceberg.

Which of you disagrees that church leaders keep watch as men who must give an account? If access is cut off, the shepherds are not keeping watch. This is the SIN of closures - not the cancellation of meetings or changing the time, location, or manner of meetings.

I'm surprised that this happened! Maybe the title of the tread should of read something else.

Madman

It struck me that this topic appeared on Christmas morning. Of all the days of the year, the day we celebrate the greatest act of love ever given to man.

”For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Peace!
I missed the post.

We were at church Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and for Sunday Mass.
Tuesday at noon was the Mass of the Holy Innocence, Wed. was the Feast St. Thomas Becket.

Closing churches cuts the congregation off from some of the graces God provides.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I missed the post.

We were at church Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and for Sunday Mass.
Tuesday at noon was the Mass of the Holy Innocence, Wed. was the Feast St. Thomas Becket.

Closing churches cuts the congregation off from some of the graces God provides.

Agreed, it should not happen.

gordon 2

I'm surprised that this happened! Maybe the title of the tread should of read something else.

This is the reason I'm surprised.

The Priesthood of All Believers
The Bible affirms the value of each person as having been created in the image of God, and also declares each person morally responsible for his/her own nature and behavior. Baptists believe that inherent in the worth of each person is also the right and competency of each individual personally to deal directly with God through Jesus Christ. This principle also suggests our responsibility to serve other believers in intercession and nurture: we are priests to each other.