Why Do Dogs Do That?

Jack Ryan

Am I the only one who ever thinks that?

For instance I'm pretty sure dogs dig and lay in the hole when it is hot or too hot. I've seen my own start digging in the bed of the pick up, then I go over there and feel it and the steel is usually getting pretty hot and I'll let him out.

Now I though I had that behavior figured out.

This is not a recent start on this behavior. I found he had done this for years with his previous owner. Why is he out there in the middle of the night, it is 40 degrees, and he is "digging" in the middle of his plastic dog house. Not getting any where with the project but that don't slow him down any. I though it was the electric pad that comes on when he lays on it if it's cold out. Then when I got his OLD dog house from the other guy, first thing he did was walk in there on the bare plastic floor of it and act like he was digging to China. After a while he quits it.

May be he is just crazy.

I never had any of the other dogs we've ever had do anything close to this.

Out in the yard or when he is loose, he never digs any holes except for an obvious reason like he is after something in a hole.

greg_n_clayton

Am I the only one who ever thinks that?

For instance I'm pretty sure dogs dig and lay in the hole when it is hot or too hot. I've seen my own start digging in the bed of the pick up, then I go over there and feel it and the steel is usually getting pretty hot and I'll let him out.

Now I though I had that behavior figured out.

This is not a recent start on this behavior. I found he had done this for years with his previous owner. Why is he out there in the middle of the night, it is 40 degrees, and he is "digging" in the middle of his plastic dog house. Not getting any where with the project but that don't slow him down any. I though it was the electric pad that comes on when he lays on it if it's cold out. Then when I got his OLD dog house from the other guy, first thing he did was walk in there on the bare plastic floor of it and act like he was digging to China. After a while he quits it.

May be he is just crazy.

I never had any of the other dogs we've ever had do anything close to this.

Out in the yard or when he is loose, he never digs any holes except for an obvious reason like he is after something in a hole.
I have heard in the past that it is has to do with the genes past to them. Similiar to when there is a blanket involved. IMO, it makes sense that they are attempting make a "nest", so to speak ! Similiar behavior being when they turn in tight circles before laying down.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Watched one of my dogs do the circle thing last night before laying down(indoors). I counted, he turned in 8 circles and bunched a throw rug up before settling in. I see him do it quite regularly to some extent, but that was a lot of turning last night.

Cmp1

BANNED
Watched one of my dogs do the circle thing last night before laying down(indoors). I counted, he turned in 8 circles and bunched a throw rug up before settling in. I see him do it quite regularly to some extent, but that was a lot of turning last night.
My Lucy does it also,,,,

baddave

it seems like every dog does at least one thing just goofy as all get out . i almost started a thread of that . probably be fun .. but the digging thing "to me" is kinda common. you better hope you're at home when one does that on the carpet:)

Latest posts