WMA and suppressor

scott stokes

I was told yesterday from two DNR officers that as of July 1 2017 suppressors will be legal on WMA's I don't remember there names but one said he was over Dawson Forest.
Any seen this in writing yet?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Dnr posted videos on YouTube from thier meetings back in January. This was a topic that I remember, I'm assuming it passed, but the regs book won't be out until July or so.

T-N-T

I'm thinking about going forward with the paperwork on getting me one of these dandy devices. My ears ring way too long now when pull the trigger.

I don't hunt wmas but never understood why they were not allowed. Plain ignorance IMO

GunnSmokeer

Is this the video you're speaking of?
I haven't watched the whole thing yet.
This meeting is just where the public gets to provide "input" about various proposals, which may or may not be made into official regulations and published later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0qqEP5pUfM

GunnSmokeer

yes

That IS the video. Fast-forward to the 18:00 minute mark where the topic of discussion is a set of proposed rule changes for WMA's. The first proposal is to allow the use of suppressor-equipped firearms.

I like how the speaker points out that "silencer" is a misnomer, as there's no such thing as a "silent" hunting rifle.

GunnSmokeer

I recently gave a talk about the N.F.A. and a suppressor shoot demonstration, and the local newspaper sent a reporter to take pics and write it up later. Here's a link to the story in the Forsyth County News.

https://www.forsythnews.com/local/l...holds-demonstration-forsyth-county-tea-party/

I urged these TEA party members and veterans (the event was hosted by the local V.F.W. post, which also has a shotgun shooting range out back) to support the Hearing Protection Act. (S.59 and H.R. 367) Senator Isakson is a co-sponsor, but Sen. David Perdue is not yet.

GunnSmokeer

how quiet

I've shot a number of .223 and .308 rifles with full-power ammo through suppressors.
They're much louder than you'd expect, if all you knew about silencers is what you saw on TV and Hollywood movies.

But they're quiet enough to be either hearing-safe or at least less damaging than shooting unsuppressed. I'd say the noise of such a centerfire rifle firing a bullet at nearly 3000 f.p.s. is similar to shooting a .22 rifle with high velocity .22LR ammo. You get a sharp crack like a cap gun going off (breaking the sound barrier), and, on the centerfire guns, a deeper-sounding rush of air.

If you handload or buy some subsonic ammo in .30 caliber (or bigger) and drive those 220-250 grain bullets at 1080 f.p.s. (just under Mach 1.0), through a suppressor, THEN you'll have a much quieter weapon that would sound like slapping your bare hand on a table top.
The "thump" of the bullet into the backstop (or animal) may be as loud as the shot itself.

scott stokes

I forgot to report back I instant messaged gadnr this was the messages.
I had two of your officers tell me that suppressor will be legal on wma after July 1st?
They are correct, unless the WMA species that suppressors are not legal on the specific WMA.