WMA Harvest Totals

Gadget

Got the new GON today…..
2021 WMA harvest total 1,068
2022 WMA harvest total 556

50% drop in one year !!!!

I guess the DNR needs to pay more out of state internet influencers to come here and hunt…muahaha

Last edited:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
That's crazy low!
Isn't that about a 100 percent drop though???!!!

sea trout

Ok nevermind,
a 100 percent drop would be zero.
But if somethin goes from 500 ta 1000 ah thought that was a 100 percent increase?
Doesn't even matter,
The point of the post is that is a SIGNIFICANT drop and yes I agree

six

Wow!!! But now that we have had a season where the opener was moved back a week or two the numbers should rebound this year to over 2000, or up 350%.

Gadget

Ok nevermind,
a 100 percent drop would be zero.
But if somethin goes from 500 ta 1000 ah thought that was a 100 percent increase?
Doesn't even matter,
The point of the post is that is a SIGNIFICANT drop and yes I agree

Yes 100% drop would be zero but going from 500 to 1000 is a 100% increase

Gadget

Wow!!! But now that we have had a season where the opener was moved back a week or two the numbers should rebound this year to over 2000, or up 350%.

Lol….. I think it will rebound a little, at least I hope so but don’t think will go back to 1000.

Last edited:
Reactions: six

sea trout

It'd be interstin ta see if hunter numbers stay the same if killed gobbler stays the same or trends upward or downward.
I think if the gobblers taken numbers stay the same or trend downward then WMA turkey hunter numbers may trend downward

Gadget

It'd be interstin ta see if hunter numbers stay the same if killed gobbler stays the same or trends upward or downward.
I think if the gobblers taken numbers stay the same or trend downward then WMA turkey hunter numbers may trend downward

I think guys have been dropping out of the sport the last couple years and it will continue along with the reduction of huntable land. Also I don’t see that making a big impact towards restoring the Turkey population, too many variables at play.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If I’m not mistaken without going back and looking at the regs , public land opportunities were cut nearly in half . So that’s about right . We all lost a couple weeks and public land a couple more .

Dupree

If I’m not mistaken without going back and looking at the regs , public land opportunities were cut nearly in half . So that’s about right . We all lost a couple weeks and public land a couple more .
And some public land lost more than half unless you drew a quota.

Gut_Pile

Yeah not really surprised at the drop off due to the cut back in season dates for public.

Looking back on my data, one larger WMA has had an average success rate of around 8% for the last 5 year. It still had that 8% rate in 2022. The harvest number took a hit of around 68%, but the overall hunter number was down 64%.

BASS1FUN

Two week delay plus you can only harvest one bird per area played a big role in the harvest drop. I wished it was done more by region than the whole state, they took a tag away from where I hunt in Kansas but the properties we hunt are still covered up in turkeys, in western Kansas you can still kill 2

deast1988

I’m seeing a few more birds on field edges this year than last year. 2 year olds strutting, the reduction might’ve just helped the last 2 hatches a smidge. I’ve seen enough, we just did a joint application to WMA with 3pts each. I’ll rub elbows on it this spring and see what I can churn up.

Buckman18

I’m seeing a few more birds on field edges this year than last year. 2 year olds strutting, the reduction might’ve just helped the last 2 hatches a smidge. I’ve seen enough, we just did a joint application to WMA with 3pts each. I’ll rub elbows on it this spring and see what I can churn up.

In the mountains we are seeing more birds this year than we have had in several years.

Might be misleading though… we had a mast failure and we may be seeing them because there’s nothing to eat in the woods?

Swamprat

Swamprat
I hunt both private and public in GA but now is the time while the regs recently took effect to go to the board and ask what scientific proof is there vs theory to make these changes,

Longer these changes go on the less likely it will be reversed. Knee jerk reaction based on turkey doc theory that several over states drank that kool aid.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This ^^^^ I’m gettin stoked! I scouted a place yesterday but saw no tracks, poop, nothing. last year may have been the worst I’ve had as far as seeing birds….this year’s got to be better!