WMAs, NFs And Other Public Land That Is Not "Quota"

Big7

The Oracle
I'm new to trying to hunt "public land" and the reg book is pretty confusing.

Looking for WMAs and National Forest land to hunt in Georgia, preferably with a primitive campground that's not quota. In other words, just show up with a valid license and hunt.

I'm not looking for anyone's spot just the names of some WMAs and NFs to hunt.

Thanks In Advance. :cheers:

Last edited:

ChidJ

Use these two things to figure it out (click the link to open the map in a new tab. its much more user friendly than in the window). When you go to a WMA, you need to check in. You can do it online, in the app, or with a pen at the kiosk which you can find on the linked map for wherever you are intending to go.

Find your prospective hunt area in the regulations and it will have the dates there that you can hunt.

I'll use the Alapaha WMA as its the first on alphabetically for an example. If you want to hunt deer by archery, you can do so between Sep 9 and Oct 22 and all you need to do is check in once.

Hope this helps.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
1. Look up your WMA
2. Look for this "Q" which is for "Quota Hunt"
3. If there ain't no "Q," then there ain't no quota hunt.
4. If there is a "Q," then the quota hunt dates will be listed.Screenshot_20230922_190749_Samsung Notes.jpgScreenshot_20230922_191046_Samsung Notes.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922_190749_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230922_190749_Samsung Notes.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2

Big7

The Oracle
What part of the state?
Prefer south of Athens and north of Macon but I will go south if there is camping on the property or nearby.

Don't care much for the mountains, not for hunting anyway.
Thanks

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Contact or drive to the Oconee National Forest office on 441/129 just south of the Rock Eagle main entrance. They can point you to many thousands of acres of hunting and camping.

Be mindful that not all public land has the same season as private land.

RamblinWreck88

Contact or drive to the Oconee National Forest office on 441/129 just south of the Rock Eagle main entrance. They can point you to many thousands of acres of hunting and camping.

Be mindful that not all public land has the same season as private land.
Heck, I wish I was closer to Oconee NF

Big7

The Oracle
If all it has is a "Q", then yes. But in some cases, as shown below, there is a quota hunt as well as a regular hunt (see blue arrow)View attachment 1255878
So, in the example you have above, McGraw Ford the Deer & Bear, turkey on the Apr 13, 14 and 15, Dove, Waterfowl and Coyote would be open to everyone, but just on the dates listed? I think I got it now. Thank You Very Much.

RamblinWreck88

So, in the example you have above, McGraw Ford the Deer & Bear, turkey on the Apr 13, 14 and 15, Dove, Waterfowl and Coyote would be open to everyone, but just on the dates listed? I think I got it now. Thank You Very Much.
Thats correct, except that the Turkey season runs April 13th - May 15th. (y)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Got it now!! Thank You Very Much !!!
:cheers:
Hey big7, the other date to watch out for is the specialty hunts. I’m pretty sure those are for the kids.
If you see a B, that’s a Bonus hunt and you can go hunt Those dates and NOT record on your harvest tally! I’d look for Bonus hunts and see if you can make any of those. Most I’m finding are when I will be in Kentucky.

Full Draw McGraw

@Big7 South of Athens gets you Redlands WMA which is large, has multiple campsites, and is open for the majority of the season without a quota, or drive a bit farther south to Oconee WMA which is open for the entire state season for archery with about 4 or 5 weeks of open rifle dates.
You can also look at Cedar Creek, it has a lot more closed dates so check the regs.

Big7

The Oracle
@Big7 South of Athens gets you Redlands WMA which is large, has multiple campsites, and is open for the majority of the season without a quota, or drive a bit farther south to Oconee WMA which is open for the entire state season for archery with about 4 or 5 weeks of open rifle dates.
You can also look at Cedar Creek, it has a lot more closed dates so check the regs.
Killed 2 Turkey there about 10 years ago.
It's less than an hour for me so I'm definitely going to scope it out.

Thanks very much.
:cheers:

Full Draw McGraw

Between ONF and all the WMAs there's well over 100,000 acres of public land over in that part of the state so i think you'll be able to find a few. Good luck.

35 Whelen

I'm new to trying to hunt "public land" and the reg book is pretty confusing.

Looking for WMAs and National Forest land to hunt in Georgia, preferably with a primitive campground that's not quota. In other words, just show up with a valid license and hunt.

I'm not looking for anyone's spot just the names of some WMAs and NFs to hunt.

Thanks In Advance. :cheers:

If you are going to hunt public land, read below.

This was written by Georgia DNR Deer biologist Charlie Killmaster. It was written in 2012 so some things have changed, such as there are no longer "check in" hunts, they are now "bonus" hunts, however if you carefully read the public land section in the regulations booklet along with this post you will be well on your way to understanding public land hunting in Georgia. When I lived in Gwinnett County I hunted public land almost exclusively for many years and if you are willing to do what is necessary, public land hunting can be very good. Also, if you decide to hunt in the North Georgia mountains, read the bear hunting section on this forum, there is a tremendous amount of information available there for bear, deer, and hog hunting in the mountains, whether WMA ot National Forest.