Y’all ever fix the wrong thing,

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
And then more things before you finally fix the problem? Happened today.
Came home and a 3 bulb light fixture I built and wired several years ago was blinking. Took the light down, disassembled and checked each socket, all good. Checked current and connections in the wires, all good. Looked over at the switch and thought duh. One wire was in the little hole provided instead of around the screw, cut it and put it around the screw and problem solved. Wire had just enough corrosion to be a problem. Should have checked it first.

sinclair1

I call it throwing parts at it. I can fix anything if I throw enough parts at it.

The famous dead battery. Get a new battery and if that don’t work get alternator then if it’s still broke check fuses and wiring.

Redbow

Yep, I have fixed the wrong thing many times in my life. Its something that most of us humans do every now and then. I have told my Wife many times in the past, well this little job sure has made a monkey out of me so far.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I pretty much tore down and re-built a 1960's Evenrude outboard when I was 19, only to find out the battery was dead.

Last edited:

basstrkr

motor cycles/ATVs are interesting, if you install the battery cable backwards the engine will spin over but it will not crank!!!!!!!!

B. White

My most expensive one....I've got a 21yo honda recon that has always had carb problems every few years, so no suprise when it happens. It started bogging down and not running good once hot, so I took the carb out and cleaned it. Put it back together and it ran fine. It sat on the back of the truck during most of hunting season and didn't sound great when I unloaded it, so figured I should have pulled the tank off and cleaned it when I did the carb. Put it under a shed for a future project. Pulled the tank off and one bolt for the petcock would just spin the insert in the tank. No good way to get it out. Didn't want to spend the money, but went ahead and got another tank and hardware and cleaned the carb again. Expected it to fire up and nothing. Checked and wasn't getting a spark and stuck another plug in it and was down to a couple of relays that were expensive when I found a kill switch I've never paid attention to. Moved it and it cranked right up. I guess a kid had got on it and messed with it sometime when it was parked. Aggravating, but I've got the best running 21yo ATV around. Probably still came out cheaper than dropping it off at a dealer.

Hunter922

Yep, fixed a many of things and should have seen the issue standing right in front of me..
Finally found the right tool and have been smiling ever since...

killerv

My most expensive one....I've got a 21yo honda recon that has always had carb problems every few years, so no suprise when it happens. It started bogging down and not running good once hot, so I took the carb out and cleaned it. Put it back together and it ran fine. It sat on the back of the truck during most of hunting season and didn't sound great when I unloaded it, so figured I should have pulled the tank off and cleaned it when I did the carb. Put it under a shed for a future project. Pulled the tank off and one bolt for the petcock would just spin the insert in the tank. No good way to get it out. Didn't want to spend the money, but went ahead and got another tank and hardware and cleaned the carb again. Expected it to fire up and nothing. Checked and wasn't getting a spark and stuck another plug in it and was down to a couple of relays that were expensive when I found a kill switch I've never paid attention to. Moved it and it cranked right up. I guess a kid had got on it and messed with it sometime when it was parked. Aggravating, but I've got the best running 21yo ATV around. Probably still came out cheaper than dropping it off at a dealer.
My 2003 rancher was giving me fits, finally broke down and put an oem carb on it instead of the china ones I tried. Running great. Gotten pretty good at the carb cleanings and changes, even sprayed them out in the field. We were broadcasting seed with it, took a break, my buddy was on it last. Joker wouldn't crank, acted like gummed up carb or trash in it, here I go, seat comes off, carb out, all that. Run to store get some cleaner and starter fluid, did what I could, got it all back together, same thing. I was beyond aggravated. I finally looked over, buddy had put on the kill switch to turn it off. He just thought that's what you did and he's been sitting their watching me do all this for an hour plus the trip to the store. Not to mention this is hot late september. I've never used that switch in 20 years of owning that thing, always turn key off and put on parking brake if needed. You wanna talk about ticked.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Famous Quote from MY IT support guy at work - "Check the simple things first". What did he do? Yep, jump head first right into the complex, theoretical stuff that can go wrong.

Meanwhile I'm standing there over his shoulder saying "Maybe we should just reboot the server like you did last time? That seemed to clear this same problem up before."

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Famous Quote from MY IT support guy at work - "Check the simple things first". What did he do? Yep, jump head first right into the complex, theoretical stuff that can go wrong.

Meanwhile I'm standing there over his shoulder saying "Maybe we should just reboot the server like you did last time? That seemed to clear this same problem up before."
My son did IT support for a while. He'd get to the client site, do a quick eval, and call back with a diagnosis. He said most of the time it was a "PICNIC" problem...."Problem in Chair, Not in Computer".....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My son did IT support for a while. He'd get to the client site, do a quick eval, and call back with a diagnosis. He said most of the time it was a "PICNIC" problem...."Problem in Chair, Not in Computer".....

I had a lot of PICNIC problems with my users. They were of the female persuasion. "Why do I have to change my password?" "Because you exposed it to the outside world." "But why does that matter?" etc. etc.