Yardbird question,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
Anybody ever heard of mixing black pepper in with the chicken feed,to get more egg production in the winter?We have cold hearty birds,,,,

treemanjohn

Banned
They don't lay because of the short days. They need light. I've heard that you can use supplemental lighting in the coop, but have never tried it

I've heard about cayenne pepper inducing laying who knows

Cmp1

BANNED
They don't lay because of the short days. They need light. I've heard that you can use supplemental lighting in the coop, but have never tried it

I've heard about cayenne pepper inducing laying who knows
Yep,,,,I'm gonna try it,,,,

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Not sure about the pepper but supplemental light works. Just have to up the feed some.

trad bow

Depends on how many chickens you have. More chickens equal less cost per egg

trad bow

Don’t believe that’s enough birds to make a difference. If your birds are the same age they will tend to stop laying around the same time as in when they molt or during severe cold. Just the time of year for yard birds to ease back on egg production to survive till spring.

Cmp1

BANNED
Don’t believe that’s enough birds to make a difference. If your birds are the same age they will tend to stop laying around the same time as in when they molt or during severe cold. Just the time of year for yard birds to ease back on egg production to survive till spring.
This right here,,,,right after the molt,,,,adding pepper to the feed won't help to warm up their bellies,my neighbor recommended this,,,,

trad bow

You can if you want to add pepper but it tends to fall back on the birds health and cycles. Hens only have so many eggs to lay in a lifetime. Modifying by artificial means to increase the amount of eggs laid by a hen shortens that lifetime.

Cmp1

BANNED
You can if you want to add pepper but it tends to fall back on the birds health and cycles. Hens only have so many eggs to lay in a lifetime. Modifying by artificial means to increase the amount of eggs laid by a hen shortens that lifetime.
Makes sense,,,,