Dan Quillian Bows Help

AllAmerican

I want to know more about his bows and love to see some pictures. As of now I know of the Long Hunter (longbow) and the Canebrake (recurve). Please post pics and potential value. I'm looking to get one now, don't know what my offer should be. Jerry Russell gave me an awesome instructional video with DQ in in it, pretty cool, that got me interested, thanks again Jerry. :flag:

Dennis

There were 2 different longhunters the bamboo model was built by Jeffrey's archery and the red elm model was built by Martin. There were other models before that one was the Gull and a few more that I can't remember. There were 2 recurves the Patriot and the canebrake one was a takedown the other was a one piece both were built out of red elm. All fine bows in there time and there were many critters killed with them all over the world. One thing about some of them the weight of the bow was measured at 26" in stead of 28"

AllAmerican

Awesome, thanks Dennis, yup TradGang has some good reading on him.

robert carter

There was also a Patriot II that Mike Fedora`s son built for a short time. The original Patriot and bamboo longhunters are work horses. I have owned several of each. RC

Barry Duggan

I have a friend that has a bamboo longhunter, canebreak, and patriot, in the low to mid 60# range, and what I think is a patriot II in the mid 50# range. I'm quite sure he is willing to part with some or all of them, at a reasonable price.
He also has one of Dan's straight end longbows, I think is called a custom, or something like that...don't remember.

Barry Duggan

I just re read that. I`ll take the PII. the otrhers are too heavy.

Tried to call you swamper. I use to own the PII, and it is either going to be 53 or 54# @28". Jimmie just pushed away from the supper table and said he was too gut loaded to walk up stairs and check. It's in excellent shape.

dm/wolfskin

I just found this old catalog in my office as I'm cleaning out everything.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 404

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Yep and Dan had a hill style bow it was called the Bamboo custom if I recall correctly.

John Cooper

Hey mike what year was that ad? I went to the Beachwood shop in the late 80's and at that time I don't recall Dan having the recurves....... I knew he had them just can't recall when they came out.

Barry Duggan

Yep and Dan had a hill style bow it was called the Bamboo custom if I recall correctly.

In as bad as I hate to say you are right John, Bamboo Custom is correct. :bounce:

John Cooper

In as bad as I hate to say you are right John, Bamboo Custom is correct. :bounce:

I know that hurt bad to admit it.

The Bamboo custom a cording to what Dan told me was a copy of a bow Howard had shown him but never built. I don't think it was a true straight limb hill style bow. I want to say it had a slight reflex or maybe deflex to it. That's been a long time ago.

John Cooper

This is after the Kenny s took the store over. 2005 maybe?

Sounds about right.

Anyone remeber Dan going to shoots and trade shows? He would walk in with an arm load of bows and just toss them on the table..... he would say they were tools and built to take abuse.