Dan Quillian Bows Help

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Yep he told me to never climb down out of my tree stand with a bow just throw it out of the tree he said you can't hurt it.

Sounds just like him. If I recall right he had a picture of himself crossing a big creek useing his bow for a walking staff. I know he told me the story but I an almost positive he had a picture in the Beachwoodshop.

Barry Duggan

Sounds just like him. If I recall right he had a picture of himself crossing a big creek useing his bow for a walking staff. I know he told me the story but I an almost positive he had a picture in the Beachwoodshop.

He would as also use it to pole his boat before. The longhunter was very tough

He could also have another bow made for himself any time he so desired. :huh:

Barry Duggan

Did find out this:
Canebreak is marked 61#
Bamboo Longhunter 66" marked 63#
Patriot marked 65#

John Cooper

Did find out this:
Canebreak is marked 61#
Bamboo Longhunter 66" marked 63#
Patriot marked 65#

Chances are those weights are at 26 and not 28. I bet that long hunter is smooth as butter though.

frankwright

I was somewhere and he came in with an arm load of bows, threw them down on a table and walked to the front to start talking.
It was the first time I met him but I remember he had on green work pants and brogan shoes with all the laces flopping loose.
I was fortunate to talk to him several more times at shows and functions and a couple of time at his shop.
He was a character but a heck of a man too.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a brochure from Dan's shop when it was located at his house. The Gull longbow was his top line bow. Cost $325. Bamboo Custom$274. Maple Custom $199. Bamboo Longhunter $259. Maple Longhunter $195. 60'' Bamboo Longhunter $259. Indian Flat bow $135. Quillian Special Recurve $215. Take down Recurve (Traveling Hunter) $270. He also had a Bamboo Special that I can't see the price on. This was from the early to mid 1980's. I don't remember the exact year. It was when I bought my first bow from Dan.
Jeff

Jake Allen

Why you wanna come in here and throw out some facts like that........party pooper.......:rofl:
That's what Barry does; always the sensible one.

Barry what model was that DQ J9 had at Schley last weekend? I remember it was 65#'s @ 28, 68" long, and it looked like a Long Hunter to me. Pretty sure it belonged to her late husband.

Barry Duggan

That's what Barry does; always the sensible one.

Barry what model was that DQ J9 had at Schley last weekend? I remember it was 65#'s @ 28, 68" long, and it looked like a Long Hunter to me. Pretty sure it belonged to her late husband.

Long Hunter for sure.

John Cooper

I was somewhere and he came in with an arm load of bows, threw them down on a table and walked to the front to start talking.
It was the first time I met him but I remember he had on green work pants and brogan shoes with all the laces flopping loose.
I was fortunate to talk to him several more times at shows and functions and a couple of time at his shop.
He was a character but a heck of a man too.

That he was. My dad could tell stories from when he and Dan used to go down to south georgia and trap does to bring back up and turn loose up in North georgia to help get the deer population back up. The DNR had brought bucks from like Wisconsin or some place there bouts.

Dan was a wealth of knowledge and he never minded sharing it with anyone especially younger folks.

Barry Duggan

The Bamboo custom a cording to what Dan told me was a copy of a bow Howard had shown him but never built. I don't think it was a true straight limb hill style bow. I want to say it had a slight reflex or maybe deflex to it. That's been a long time ago.

I don't think Howard had anything to do with the design of the Bamboo Custom. It is the one bow that showed the difference in what a B50 and FF string can do, without a doubt.
Let's just put it this way, Dan should have stayed out of the straight end bow business, and Howard should have stayed out of the D/R bow business. IMO

John Cooper

I don't think Howard had anything to do with the design of the Bamboo Custom. It is the one bow that showed the difference in what a B50 and FF string can do, without a doubt.
Let's just put it this way, Dan should have stayed out of the straight end bow business, and Howard should have stayed out of the D/R bow business. IMO

Yes sir you would be correct on that!!!!!!

Vance Henry

So what exactly is the story on the bamboo custom? I purchased one from a fellow last summer and haven't really shot it. 68" hill style, straight limbs @63lbs. I just pulled the old leather off and am in the process of refinishing it. That being said, it's in good shape.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The brochure I have states it is a recreation of the last bow that Howard Hill made for his own use. Bow was made by Owen Jefferies for Dan.
Jeff

I consider myself lucky. I had a lady from church give me her deceased husband's bows. I've got the canebrake recurve--
62" 55#28. Also have the bamboo hunter longbow.

Shot the canebrake today at lunch. Still learning traditional, but hoping to stick one this season.

Peace

Jimmyjoe

Just found this thread. I miss the old days shooting at his place every week. I still have one of his red elm longhunters. He sponsored me when I taught the 4H archery team for Clarke county. We met at his place every week. I remember teaching Bowhunter education classes there too. Those were good times.

little rascal

I bought a martin Longbow there. Shot one of his bamboo bows and and it jumped out of my hand and hit the floor! Whoops, said I am sorry ,as I've been instructed don't squeeze or grip the bow. Bought a dozen of his super cedar arrows and they are bad to the bone, still have some. Shot one between the hay bales hit the block wall, came out perfect. I still shoot cedars today with traditional.