Rubber / Snake Boots

snooker1

Not afraid of snakes, but once you have been tagged by a cotton mouth you tend to be a little more wary. I was 13 and crossing a ditch with about 6 inches of water and I was tagged on the calf. Since that day I always have on snakeboots when I am in the woods. My Irish Setters have been good to the past 5-6 years but they are leaking now.

swamp hunter

Bet you pay a lot more attention now than when you were 13 years old...

Jim Boyd

I have the Lacrosse as well. Comfy but always wondered if really snake proof or snake resistant. Almost got to test em on a sweet timber rattler a while back.

At least a timber is a docile fellow!

Cool Hand Luke

Man, they are not personally snake tested by me but I wear them religiously. They say snake boots but I have my doubts. I like them because they are very comfortable and waterproof and have lasted a few years. Always doubted rubber boots would stop razor sharp syringes hitting you with the force of a Mike Tyson punch.

killerv

At least a timber is a docile fellow!

I had one hit some Lacrosse Fangs, I knew what it was as soon as it happened, scary thing was I literally just picked up a shed, he could have easily got me on the hand. But in my experience, you really have to step on them for them to want to strike.

Only experience I have with rubber "snake" boots was a pair a of Rockys a buddy bought, they were too thick and heavy with almost no flex, I wouldn't consider them.

7Mag Hunter

I use Redhead lace up snake boots......I also have a pair of tall rubber boots from Academy.....What i wear really depends on where i hunt.....Lace up snake boots can be stiff till u break them in but my Redheads are surprisingly comfortable....Plus the Redheads are waterproof....

buckspotter

Funny thing I've noticed..The less Snakes you been around the more your afraid of them.
Folks at my Camp in far North Florida are scared bad of them. They'll wreck their Truck trying to run them over.
Folks down at the Glades just step around them and keep on.
Nobody comes back to Camp all out of Breath , Sweating and worred about snakes.
We don't even mention it unless it was really big.
Guess it's where you grew up...and How.
Agree with this above. THe more a man encounters ye ole salty tooth, the less you worry bout em. I am strongly considering trading for a pair of snake boots following Nicodemus’ advice and counsel in another thread. But I got swampland I traverse across on the regular in north Florida and seen many a no feet and feel fine but know it’s a risk. Older I get the more I consider such matters.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Not afraid of snakes, but once you have been tagged by a cotton mouth you tend to be a little more wary. I was 13 and crossing a ditch with about 6 inches of water and I was tagged on the calf. Since that day I always have on snakeboots when I am in the woods. My Irish Setters have been good to the past 5-6 years but they are leaking now.
Which Irish Setter snake boots do you have? I bought a pair of Irish Setter Vaprtrek 2869 Knee High Boots in late 2018. Only worn them maybe 5 times, and all on dry ground. They are advertised as being waterproof, but I have read a few reviews of some claiming they are not. They are very comfortable boots, though.

across the river

Man, they are not personally snake tested by me but I wear them religiously. They say snake boots but I have my doubts. I like them because they are very comfortable and waterproof and have lasted a few years. Always doubted rubber boots would stop razor sharp syringes hitting you with the force of a Mike Tyson punch.

I have an old pair of Lacosse rubber snake boots than a small copper head hit the lower part of my foot on turkey hunting years ago. They worked as advertised. I find it odd that people don’t believe a snake boot will stop a snake fang, but then the same people go to construction, manufacturing, and medical jobs day in and day out and use other man made PPE that holds up in way more difficult and life threatening conditions. Like I said in an earlier post, the boot company isn’t making the snake proof material and it only comes from certain manufacturers. If lacrosse or any other boot company was selling “snake proof” boots that were t snake proof, they wouldn’t exist long as a company.

transfixer

I wear Danner pronghorn leather snake boots, but I also have a pair of rubber Muck boots, they aren't snake boots though, but if I were to trust a pair of rubber snake boots it would probably have to be Mucks, they've been around a long time, have a reputation for comfort and durability, so if they made a snake boot , ( and I have no idea if they do or not ) I'd probably trust them, but I would still feel more confident with leather than rubber.

kingfish

I have an old pair of Chippewa rubber boots that are snake proof and I still wrap the bottoms of a pair of old chaps around that part of my leg that goes into the boot. Been hit 4 times by cottonmouths all while wearing snake boots. In Florida, anti venom is about 11 thousand dollars per vial with an average of 10 vials per incident. Hunting by myself and that amount of money, those are dice I'm not going to roll. Hats off to you guys who don't worry about getting snake bitten. I wish I could be like that.

swamp hunter

This is my Snake Leggins I use.
I'm around way to much water to wear Leather boots.
Sometimes I'm on small dry spots I have to wade to sitting in my chair watching the swamp edge Deer trails.
Not much walks behind you when your sitting in the water..
snake leggins.jpg

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
This is my Snake Leggins I use.
I'm around way to much water to wear Leather boots.
Sometimes I'm on small dry spots I have to wade to sitting in my chair watching the swamp edge Deer trails.
Not much walks behind you when your sitting in the water..
View attachment 1002824
Having to cross some deep areas of water, is also one of the reasons I don't wear my snake boots as much as I should. Instead, I have to wear hip boots. I do wear my snake chaps over them. My feet aren't protected, though.

Cool Hand Luke

I have an old pair of Lacosse rubber snake boots than a small copper head hit the lower part of my foot on turkey hunting years ago. They worked as advertised. I find it odd that people don’t believe a snake boot will stop a snake fang, but then the same people go to construction, manufacturing, and medical jobs day in and day out and use other man made PPE that holds up in way more difficult and life threatening conditions. Like I said in an earlier post, the boot company isn’t making the snake proof material and it only comes from certain manufacturers. If lacrosse or any other boot company was selling “snake proof” boots that were t snake proof, they wouldn’t exist long as a company.

I get it, you made your point twice. Had a pair of leather Herman Survivors I bought in the late 70's that are long gone. Not nearly as comfortable but trusted them more than I do these rubber "snake boots". Dont like to recommend something I'm not 100% sure about if that's ok with you.

across the river

I get it, you made your point twice. Had a pair of leather Herman Survivors I bought in the late 70's that are long gone. Not nearly as comfortable but trusted them more than I do these rubber "snake boots". Dont like to recommend something I'm not 100% sure about if that's ok with you.

Dude chill. I was't specifically referring to you, which is why I said "people" and not "you." There have been multiple times through the thread where people question a rubber snake boots. Your's just happen to be the last post i saw saying that, so I quoted it. My point is the material in most boots that make the boot "snake proof is the same whether it s the rubber boot, leather both, polyester boot, or any combination of those and other materials. A regular pair of leather Danner boots aren't considered anymore "snake proof" than a regular pair of rubber Lacrosse boots. They put the same material between the layers in the Danner leather boot and between the layers of the Lacrosse rubber boot to make them "snake proof", because that is the material that is made and tested to prevent the snakes fangs from penetrating to your leg. It would be the equivalent of two cops both wearing the same bullet proof vest with one wearing a leather jacket and the other a polyester jacket over the vest. They are both "protected" from a bullet because of the vest underneath, and not the material of the jacket they have on over it.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The two times I almost got it, one involved my forearm being in ones face that was coiled up in a multi forked stunted jack pine 30 inches or so up. The other a foot from my hip on a fallen log while I wore chaps. I'm glad canebrakes are usually calm until you disturb them. Nothing is guaranteed. But, I'm increasing my odds with snake boots.

BamaGeorgialine

I have a pair of Lacrosse rubber snake boots and they are hot and not breathable. I still wear them even though I can pour the sweat water out of them every time I take them off.

Cool Hand Luke

Dude chill. I was't specifically referring to you, which is why I said "people" and not "you." There have been multiple times through the thread where people question a rubber snake boots. Your's just happen to be the last post i saw saying that, so I quoted it. My point is the material in most boots that make the boot "snake proof is the same whether it s the rubber boot, leather both, polyester boot, or any combination of those and other materials. A regular pair of leather Danner boots aren't considered anymore "snake proof" than a regular pair of rubber Lacrosse boots. They put the same material between the layers in the Danner leather boot and between the layers of the Lacrosse rubber boot to make them "snake proof", because that is the material that is made and tested to prevent the snakes fangs from penetrating to your leg. It would be the equivalent of two cops both wearing the same bullet proof vest with one wearing a leather jacket and the other a polyester jacket over the vest. They are both "protected" from a bullet because of the vest underneath, and not the material of the jacket they have on over it.

Well heck, since you're the expert on snake boots, I highly recommend those Lacrosse boots!!!

Snake proof, water proof, and very comfortable.

Don't know why anyone would wear another boot??? :huh: