Wife walking in the dark

CrossCentered

So I am blessed (well blessed or cursed depends on your out look. Sometimes its a curse when I have to stay home and she goes) with a wife that loves to hunt. She is not a fan of the dark. She also doesn't want to use a flashlight to walk to her stand. She got the idea to put solar path lights along the trail to show the way. has anyone tried this?

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I have about 20 around my cabin at edge of woodline its pretty cool at night Hard to beat free power but they do need some sun

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I don't think I'd want to stick a bunch of lights out in the woods around where I'm hunting.
Nope. Cause stuff like that gets forgotten.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Also, do you actually only hunt in one spot all year?

rosewood

Not sure why she doesn't want to use a flashlight to walk in? Afraid it will spook deer? Get a red light instead. I have one that is bright white LED, then switches to blue or red. Red is best for walking in the dark with minimal disturbing of wildlife.

Rosewood

NCMTNHunter

How far is she walking? Seems like it would take a bunch of lights. They also don't work very good in the woods where there isn't direct sunlight. I would encourage her to use a flashlight. Safety wise I believe using a flashlight going to and from stands in the dark is way more important that wearing an orange vest in the daylight.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Walk her to her stand once when its pitch black. On the way turn out the flashlight then hand it to her. She’ll turn it back on I promise. Problem solved.
Just buy snakeboots. It gives confidence in the dark.

Lukikus2

I use to but they kept getting knocked over. Found some cool solar flood lights. Less than $10 a piece and light up everything good. :bounce:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
She needs a flashlight even if she doesn't plan to use it. Get her a nice surefire with a red lens and it's less likely to disturb deer and she can still see. Plus, in case she has one run off on her after dark she can follow the blood trail. I like the solar light idea though. Sure will make it easy to find the stand!

godogs57

I generally don’t go to my stands while it’s dark. I think flashlights, at the very least, alert the deer that somethings going on. I talked about this at length with Gene Wensel, traditional bow hunter extraordinaire, and does the same thing I do. I ease into my stand, actually I “stalk” it, at pink light. Where there is barely enough ambient light to make out forms and shapes.

My entire purpose in doing this is to hunt undisturbed deer....I do not want them to have a clue I’m there. The thought of anyone leaving out solar lights in the woods is something that I’d never do in a thousand years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I generally don’t go to my stands while it’s dark. I think flashlights, at the very least, alert the deer that somethings going on. I talked about this at length with Gene Wensel, traditional bow hunter extraordinaire, and does the same thing I do. I ease into my stand, actually I “stalk” it, at pink light. Where there is barely enough ambient light to make out forms and shapes.

My entire purpose in doing this is to hunt undisturbed deer....I do not want them to have a clue I’m there. The thought of anyone leaving out solar lights in the woods is something that I’d never do in a thousand years.
I do this more and more every year. I find that I blow a lot less deer out easing in just at daylight. And sometimes I shoot a deer while sneaking in.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I do this very same thing.

godogs57

Notice how much quieter you can get to your stand when you're not stumbling around with a flashlight. Give it a try. Dang.....solar lights? I've heard everything now.

We have a friend who is really afraid of things...darkness primarily. He will not hunt a stand he cannot drive to in his 4wheeler. Right up to the steps of the stand. He gets off his 4 wheeler and hits the first step of the stand without touching the ground...if its dark. Afternoon hunts? He's out before sundown. I wont bother to tell you how many deer he's killed. God forbid if he has to track a deer in the dark....