Rare Plant

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A couple I took a picture of the other day while I was walking around-a four prong and a three prong, just unfolding:

ginseng.jpg

ginseng2.jpg

It's not nearly as rare as they let on, I can usually find a plant or several in a few minutes in any decent spot.

natureman

I have seen plenty of 3-prong but 4 is rare for me. I am hoping to one day either grow a 5 or see one in the wild.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen plenty of 3-prong but 4 is rare for me. I am hoping to one day either grow a 5 or see one in the wild.
I've seen a handful of five-prongs over the years, but very few. I dug a patch years ago that had 38 four-prongs in that one little patch. Don't see it like that much.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
What are prongs? The number of stems out of the ground or something else?

There is one stalk that branches out at the top. Very young plants generally fork into 2 branches, or prongs. As they mature, they get 3 and sometimes 4. I can only recall seeing one 5 prong. As a general rule, the more prongs, the older the plant. And the older the plant, the larger the root. And the root is what you're after.

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice! You gonna be on TV soon? Big money there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! You gonna be on TV soon? Big money there.
Not nearly as big as they let on. I've dug sang all my life, Never got rich. The sang diggin' shows they had on tv were some of the most stupid, ridiculous, inaccurate stuff I've ever seen in my whole life. They were filmed here where I live. They are not even in the same universe as reality. It just does not work like that. At all, or even close to it.

wvdawg

Staff member
Not nearly as big as they let on. I've dug sang all my life, Never got rich. The sang diggin' shows they had on tv were some of the most stupid, ridiculous, inaccurate stuff I've ever seen in my whole life. They were filmed here where I live. They are not even in the same universe as reality. It just does not work like that. At all, or even close to it.

Yep. That is why I mentioned TV - that's where the money is - not selling roots!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
So... for us flatlanders.... You obviously do something with the roots.. but if you dig it up to get the roots then... its gone :huh:

natureman

So... for us flatlanders.... You obviously do something with the roots.. but if you dig it up to get the roots then... its gone :huh:

Mature plants which can be harvested almost always have their offspring scattered around them. You leave the young ones to grow and harvest the older ones.

Latest posts