Killing a hog without a gun

grouper throat

How short of a blade on your knife? A 30lb hog's heart is not very deep in it's chest. I never use more than a 3 inch blade when we hog hunt with dogs and dispatch them fairly quick.

Core Lokt

If you don't want the neighbors to hear it squeal you better not use a hammer. I believe you are pulling our legs to be honest. you can find a pig sticker over there. Heck, you small fixed blade knife will do the trick to pop a lung.

Tugboat1

How short of a blade on your knife? A 30lb hog's heart is not very deep in it's chest. I never use more than a 3 inch blade when we hog hunt with dogs and dispatch them fairly quick.
Its five inches. Any pointers please?

DrK

A stab in the heart will definitely make a pig squeal for 1-2 minutes.

Are you doing this outside the house ina backyard or are you doing this ala serial killer inside the house?

Tugboat1

A stab in the heart will definitely make a pig squeal for 1-2 minutes.

Are you doing this outside the house ina backyard or are you doing this ala serial killer inside the house?
Backyard. Semi rural but a close neighbor next door and across the street.

j_seph

Do like the hog doggers, raise front leg up and stick it
7860d1227993110-hog-guts-hogguts.jpg

Tugboat1

Do like the hog doggers, raise front leg up and stick it
7860d1227993110-hog-guts-hogguts.jpg
good point but how long till they bleed out. When I shoot them in the ear they drop, kick a few times and it's usually over.

Tugboat1

If you don't want the neighbors to hear it squeal you better not use a hammer. I believe you are pulling our legs to be honest. you can find a pig sticker over there. Heck, you small fixed blade knife will do the trick to pop a lung.
Oh ye of little faith.

j_seph

good point but how long till they bleed out. When I shoot them in the ear they drop, kick a few times and it's usually over.
Ones I have experienced if you pierced the heart and twisted it was over quickly. Do some youtube searches

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The way I was taught, and I've seen it done and done it on very large hogs myself is such:

Picture an imaginary line between the eyes. Drop about an inch below that line and shoot with a .22 rifle. This won't kill, but stuns the hog. While it is stunned, stab and slice into the throat to get the jugular. The stunned hog's heart continues to pump out blood very quickly and it's over in seconds.

If I were you, I'd go with the ball peen hammer approach to stun the pig, then cut its jugular. Feed the pig and while he's distracted with food, knock his lights out and get busy. Please don't do it on camera.

Tugboat1

Ones I have experienced if you pierced the heart and twisted it was over quickly. Do some youtube searches
Normally I would but I have very limited data phone wise while I'm here

Tugboat1

The way I was taught, and I've seen it done and done it on very large hogs myself is such:

Picture an imaginary line between the eyes. Drop about an inch below that line and shoot with a .22 rifle. This won't kill, but stuns the hog. While it is stunned, stab and slice into the throat to get the jugular. The stunned hog's heart continues to pump out blood very quickly and it's over in seconds.

If I were you, I'd go with the ball peen hammer approach to stun the pig, then cut its jugular. Feed the pig and while he's distracted with food, knock his lights out and get busy. Please don't do it on camera.
Good info, thank you sir.
I'm camera shy, ( don't want interpol hunting me down, j.k.) but I'll try and post some pics with a report

DrK

If you want to hog to simply drop and fall when you kill it you have to hit it at the brain stem or detach the spine from the skull in one complete motion. A ballpin to the base of the skull might do it or something to guillotine it will accomplish the job.

Closest to what I've seen, in the old country again, was a hammer blow to the base of the skull of a cow. What they would do is tie the cow to a post and flex the head down to the chin touching the neck and a blow with a sledgehammer to the base of the skull and neck dropped it immediately.
Neck anatomy of a pig might make that hard though.