For those with side imaging, can you spot fish panfish beds?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
If so what do they look like?

Lilly001

Following. i’ve been out of the loop for about 10 years and I’m looking for a unit for my new boat.

SemperFiDawg

They look like dimples on a golf ball when you go over a large bed..

Thanks. I saw something that looked exactly like that on my Side Imaging and I wondered if maybe that was what it was. I couldn't make out any fish so I wasn't sure.

ghadarits

Depending on how far you are from the fish and how it’s positioned when the beam passes over it will depend on how it’s shown on your screen just like anything else. You have to hit stuff at just the right angle to get those really detailed images.

kc65

Thanks. I saw something that looked exactly like that on my Side Imaging and I wondered if maybe that was what it was. I couldn't make out any fish so I wasn't sure.
Hope you marked on your waypoint, next full moon that's where I'd be sitting....

GunDocc

Very easy to see Bream beds with side imaging
shot taken with Helix 12 Mega + g3n

can easily see the fish on the beds which show up as white dots inside the circles

S00134.png

direct link below
http://www.guncustomizing.com/images/S00134.png

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

I've been catching some gooderns lately using my Garmin UHD 93sv. Check my threads...
I am doing something that may be new to some: using side imaging when anchored and sitting still. The transducer is mounted on my trolling motor, which I steer with a long tiller on my kayak. When anchored, I slowly pan, or "sweep" the TM with the tiller, which rotates the transducer beam in a "sweep", to see exactly where the bed is before I cast. If you do it just right, it works great. If your install allows you to turn the transducer, try it. Here are some pics:

In this pic, I am not moving the tiller, and the boat is sitting still. The beds are on the right, and "smeared" into streaks from scanning the same slice of water over and over. However, the fish ARE moving, so you can see four fish at 28 and one at 35.
brimbedSV2_01.jpg

In this pic the beds are on the left, and I slowly and smoothly turned the TM in an arc to pick up the beds and fish.
brimbedSV2_02.jpg

Here is a nice "panned" shot. The little dots in the "craters" are shellcrackers on bed.
brimbedSV2_03.jpg

Notice boat speed is zero in these pictures.

I have tons more pics of bream beds. PS, I have bird Mega+ SI on the big boat, and it looks great, but this Garmin UHD on my kayak is getting the job done very nicely, and runs PLS, too.

GreenPig

I've been catching some gooderns lately using my Garmin UHD 93sv. Check my threads...
I am doing something that may be new to some: using side imaging when anchored and sitting still. The transducer is mounted on my trolling motor, which I steer with a long tiller on my kayak. When anchored, I slowly pan, or "sweep" the TM with the tiller, which rotates the transducer beam in a "sweep", to see exactly where the bed is before I cast. If you do it just right, it works great. If your install allows you to turn the transducer, try it. Here are some pics:

In this pic, I am not moving the tiller, and the boat is sitting still. The beds are on the right, and "smeared" into streaks from scanning the same slice of water over and over. However, the fish ARE moving, so you can see four fish at 28 and one at 35.
View attachment 1019847

In this pic the beds are on the left, and I slowly and smoothly turned the TM in an arc to pick up the beds and fish.
View attachment 1019848

Here is a nice "panned" shot. The little dots in the "craters" are shellcrackers on bed.
View attachment 1019849

Notice boat speed is zero in these pictures.

I have tons more pics of bream beds. PS, I have bird Mega+ SI on the big boat, and it looks great, but this Garmin UHD on my kayak is getting the job done very nicely, and runs PLS, too.
Nice. My 360 Imaging works pretty good for locating beds. About to pickup a Garmin 73sv UHD for my lil boat.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
No doubt that’s the way to go. A man I know that’s got one says the fish don’t stand a chance.....they can’t hide anymore.

RamblinWreck

Oh, they stand a chance alright... lost two more huge ones that ran into the dang timber and broke me off today, and almost lost the PB. He got on a branch, but I gave him some line and he came out. Also, sometimes you find them, but they won't bite anything.

Those shellcrackers pull mighty hard. Truly the king of the bream.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
On my older unit I could see the beds just fine. I couldn't tell if there was fish on them.
That's not hard to figure out though.

It is harder if there are just a couple of beds. Happens a lot around boat docks where I fish.

I'm about ready to say to **** with my side imaging and locate beds the old-fashioned way: find a couple rednecks anchored down in shallow water in a beat up river boat. Works every time.

SemperFiDawg

I'm about ready to say to **** with my side imaging and locate beds the old-fashioned way: find a couple rednecks anchored down in shallow water in a beat up river boat. Works every time.

Was fishing with my uncle years back and tearing them up. Was anchored and fishing toward the bank about 15 feet away. A couple of guys pulled up and anchored between us and the bank. I could have almost stepped in their boat from ours. My uncle didn't say a word. He reached in his cooler, took out what was left in his pint of liquor and guzzled it down. He put the cap back on it and tossed it in the water between the boats, reached down and picked up his .357 magnum, looked at me and said, "I bet I can hit that." Before I could even think he shot at it and blowed water all over them in the other boat. You would have thought the river was on fire the way they left. I won't ever forget that. Scared me to death, because I knew where the next one was going. He was an old Marine Door Gunner in Vietnam and had been shot down twice. Didn't take much to bad manners. He died of cancer last year and there isn't a day goes bye I don't miss him, especially during fishing season.

Was fishing with my uncle years back and tearing them up. Was anchored and fishing toward the bank about 15 feet away. A couple of guys pulled up and anchored between us and the bank. I could have almost stepped in their boat from ours. My uncle didn't say a word. He reached in his cooler, took out what was left in his pint of liquor and guzzled it down. He put the cap back on it and tossed it in the water between the boats, reached down and picked up his .357 magnum, looked at me and said, "I bet I can hit that." Before I could even think he shot at it and blowed water all over them in the other boat. You would have thought the river was on fire the way they left. I won't ever forget that. Scared me to death, because I knew where the next one was going. He was an old Marine Door Gunner in Vietnam and had been shot down twice. Didn't take much to bad manners. He died of cancer last year and there isn't a day goes bye I don't miss him, especially during fishing season.

Anyone anchoring close to a couple good ole boys on a bed is asking to be shot. Make a mental note of the spot and return when they're gone!