2020 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

Hello gentlemen, I’ve followed this post for a couple of years now, as I hunt in the Sandy Cross area. Always enjoyed the reports. I shot a pretty good one a week ago with my x-bow and thought I should share. Gorgeous buck there, congrats. I spend alot of time in SC myself.
Terrific SC buck right there. I spend many a day hunting SC. Welcome to the OC forum and post often.

Arrow3

You don't find folks like Hughy everyday. Proud to call him a good friend.

Ran into him today at Sandy Cross Grocery and asked him to come look at some land i just had cleared to hunt. Just a few acres but it seems to be in the right place.

Hughy helped me hang a ladder stand and it was in a mess of vines and briars. He even climbed up and put the strap on for me ?. I seriously appreciate his help. We had a good ole time and even took a ride around this part of the county after we were done. Wound up driving past @Triple C place. Beautiful country down that way. Here are a few pics he took from the new set. IMG_4129.jpgIMG_4130.jpgIMG954131.jpg

Todd E

Know how yall were discussing timber rattlers??

Today, at about 220pm..... there was a good un on the on ramp from 441N onto the Athens Bypass.
Pretty thick.

Buford_Dawg

Know how yall were discussing timber rattlers??

Today, at about 220pm..... there was a good un on the on ramp from 441N onto the Athens Bypass.
Pretty thick.
Dang... I killed a copperhead in my neighbors yard tonight, she rang door bell about 7 all wound up about a snake. Walked over and it was a 2 foot copperhead, had to go to garage and retrieve the shovel. I really like snakes, dont have any issue with them, but when a poisonous one gets close to home, not good.

carlan

Brandon - Mature Big 6's are just cool bucks. Chased one on Long Creek at Hwy 78 back in the early 90's when all of the old Hogan tract was an archery only club. Never did get that sucker but had several encounters.
This post reminded me of an archery only club from that time frame. Not sure if it is the same club or not. But John Seginak was in the one I’m talking about. My dad lived in Oglethorpe County when I was growing up & John lived right down the road from him & worked in the federal building with him. I coon hunted with John on occasion back then.
Did any of y’all know John? I know he used to write some articles for GON & post some on here but I haven’t heard anything from him in a long time. He was an interesting guy & a heckuva hunter.
BTW I lurk on this section because I hunt just down the road in Wilkes County & enjoy keeping up with what y’all have going on.

Arrow3

Yes , several of us know John. Me and Hughy talked to him about 2 weeks ago at a banquet.

@Duff unfortunately me and Ryan are going to postpone our hunt this weekend due to some positive cases of Covid-19 popping up at my job and me being in contact with those people.

We discussed it and felt like it would he better to just wait a bit and make sure I'm good. I don't want to spread it onto him and his family.

This virus stuff freaking sucks. BTW I'm feeling fine but just want to be on the safe side.

Triple C

carlan - That name rings a bell but can't say one way or the other if he was in the club. It was called the Oasis. And man, that's exactly what it was. The Long Creek drainage at Hwy 78 is some of the most beautiful, wide bottoms I've ever set foot in. We had a blast hunting there. Bet some of the guys on here hunted that area before the tract got broken up and sold into smaller tracts.

Brandon - Hope you stay negative on the Covid deal. We have a good friend in Watkinsville that just got out of the hospital. It was touch n go for a few days as to whether he went on a ventilator. He didn't and is now home recovering. Wouldn't wish that stuff on anyone.