Late Season Bear Down

Buckman18

It's been a challenging bear season. Before bow season, I was seeing 2-10 bears most afternoons while scouting. Then a bumper crop of reds from high to low resulted in bears laying up in the thickets. I can count on one hand the number of bears I saw during bow season but didn't kill any. I was a member of a party on the dog hunt - had a FANTASTIC hunt and our team got several bears. Then from muzzleloader season until about November 8 had me deer hunting in middle GA. Started hunting the mountains again November 14, and killed a big 8pt. Saw a nice bear on the old Burton refuge last week but didn't connect. Hunted 3 days this week and finally connected on this sow yesterday afternoon. A shade under 3k ft in the reds, fresh tracks and feeding sign bordering laurel. I wish DNR would collar some more bears, they make great dragging handles.

20201128_171722.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats , man!

Buckman18

Very cool! It’s a bit surprising that a sow would travel that far but I get these collared bears on cameras regularly in all four counties. Mind sharing the collar data when you get it from Adam?

I'll share as long as it doesn't give away areas I or my buddies like to hunt. Ive still got to get the data from the collared bear I killed last year.

wvdawg

Staff member
Congrats!

Sautee Ridgerunner

I just mean generally. Obviously not specific areas. Im just fascinated by all of this study. Adam has promised me that all this data is being compiled by a uga grad student. I think it is based mostly on the effects of the dog hunt. That doesnt interest me. I just want to look at their movements through two fall seasons with totally different mast crops. It’s a world of information to be gained.

splatek

UAEC
I just mean generally. Obviously not specific areas. Im just fascinated by all of this study. Adam has promised me that all this data is being compiled by a uga grad student. I think it is based mostly on the effects of the dog hunt. That doesnt interest me. I just want to look at their movements through two fall seasons with totally different mast crops. It’s a world of information to be gained.

In my experience with research on trout from UGA nothing published will come from it. Mostly DNR reports which are hard to find usual

Buckman18

Ill be able to get em.

Sorry to hijack you Buckman. Congrats again!

No problems here! I'll pm them to you if I decide to get them. Hope you have a good rest of the season. (y)