Mountain gear essentials.

chrislibby88

Well guys, it’s coming into the off season and there’s gonna be a lot of sales on gear coming up. I’m somewhat of a gear junkie, and always looking for the next piece of kit to make life easier. Let’s hear some game changers and essentials for hunting rough terrain.

For me, this year it was my Crispi Nevada’s, took a while to break in, but man these things are nice in the hills. Also picked up some cheap compression bags from Amazon. I’m probably most impressed with them. My medium compressions bag turns my heavy bibs and jacket into just over a milk jug in my pack, and my packable insulation cinches down to over half that size.

I’m going to be looking to upgrades climbers and backpacks for next season. My tomcat is just too awkward strapped on the outside of my pack, I’ve been looking at the XOP ambush, it isn’t much lighter than the tomcat, but looks ALOT more comfy, and breaks down flat, so should be way less awkward going though laurel thickets. My pack is an eberlestock JustOne and its a good pack, major upgrade from the milsurp ALICE pack I used last season, but I wanna get one where the bag separates from the frame so I can put the load closer to my body.

Buckman18

If you're just packing for a day trip, trust me, LESS IS MORE!!!

A good knife, empty space, a cheap smith's sharpener, empty space, a small bone saw (less than a pound), empty space, garbage or feed sack, empty space, extra flashlight, empty space, rope or mule tape, empty space, food and drink. Did I mention empty space? You'll need room for deboned meat.

When hiking in the cold weather: Be bold and start cold! Use the empty space to store your layers. Walk in cold. If you walk in comfy, you'll end up sweating like sasquatch and you'll freeze all day. Later in the day you need that empty space for one of these:

IMG952772001.jpg

ddd-shooter

Interested in your compression bags and how you use them.

I might get a pack. Not sure, don't usually carry one. I prefer not to hunt five miles in all the time, lol.

As I've said before, outerwear with Gore Tex membrane (sitka windstopper for me) has been a real game changer in my layering approach. As in, I need way less layers nowadays.

Other than that, give me a summit climber and my bow and I'm good to go.

Stump06

The lightest, best stuff you can afford. Trekking poles are an item often over looked but are essential in steep terrain, that goes for good boots as well. I've been hunting out of a saddle for 3 years now and couldn't imagine doing it another way. I gun hunt out of mine a good bit but I think if I were in the mountains the terrain would lend itself to a tree seat being a lighter/better option.

Last edited:

Sautee Ridgerunner

Havalon piranta knife with replaceable blades. Game changer

Wool, wool, and more wool

Went to a badlands pack this year and loving it.

Running cheapo wildgame terra cams and loving them. Bears have chewed on all of them (i have 9) and they all work perfectly.

chrislibby88

Interested in your compression bags and how you use them.

I might get a pack. Not sure, don't usually carry one. I prefer not to hunt five miles in all the time, lol.

As I've said before, outerwear with Gore Tex membrane (sitka windstopper for me) has been a real game changer in my layering approach. As in, I need way less layers nowadays.

Other than that, give me a summit climber and my bow and I'm good to go.
Just roll up my insulation, stuff them in the bag, buckle the lid down, and start cinching the straps until I’m satisfied. Then put the small hard package in my pack. You ever vacuumed sealed clothes? Same effect. The bags have four straps that pull the lid down and compress all the air out of the contents. The ones I have are also water resistant, the fabric has a waterproof backing, the seams aren’t taped, so water/blood can go through the seams. I have them a good rain test during the chestatee hunt. My bag got drenched, only a little moisture came through the bottom seams, and my jacket was damp, but not soaked, and the pants in there were perfectly dry. Not sure how well the ones I got will hold up, I’ve only had them for about a month, but they seem good so far.

Professor

Well guys, it’s coming into the off season and there’s gonna be a lot of sales on gear coming up. I’m somewhat of a gear junkie, and always looking for the next piece of kit to make life easier. Let’s hear some game changers and essentials for hunting rough terrain.

For me, this year it was my Crispi Nevada’s, took a while to break in, but man these things are nice in the hills. Also picked up some cheap compression bags from Amazon. I’m probably most impressed with them. My medium compressions bag turns my heavy bibs and jacket into just over a milk jug in my pack, and my packable insulation cinches down to over half that size.

I’m going to be looking to upgrades climbers and backpacks for next season. My tomcat is just too awkward strapped on the outside of my pack, I’ve been looking at the XOP ambush, it isn’t much lighter than the tomcat, but looks ALOT more comfy, and breaks down flat, so should be way less awkward going though laurel thickets. My pack is an eberlestock JustOne and its a good pack, major upgrade from the milsurp ALICE pack I used last season, but I wanna get one where the bag separates from the frame so I can put the load closer to my body.
Mystery Ranch pack. There is no better. They are so well made and they are so functional that you will be shocked. Spend the money. You will never regret it. I bit the bullet and bought one, then I bought three more.

Professor

If you're just packing for a day trip, trust me, LESS IS MORE!!!

A good knife, empty space, a cheap smith's sharpener, empty space, a small bone saw (less than a pound), empty space, garbage or feed sack, empty space, extra flashlight, empty space, rope or mule tape, empty space, food and drink. Did I mention empty space? You'll need room for deboned meat.

When hiking in the cold weather: Be bold and start cold! Use the empty space to store your layers. Walk in cold. If you walk in comfy, you'll end up sweating like sasquatch and you'll freeze all day. Later in the day you need that empty space for one of these:

View attachment 1056263
got more pics of this one? nice buck and his coloring is cool.

Professor

some quality waders, a Big Agnus Copper Spur 3 person tent, a wall tent that can handle a wood-burning stove, some insulated Crispi boots, or perhaps some kenetrek mountain extremes.