Mountain gear essentials.

Joe Brandon

Ben Lily was tough. Probably as tough as any man alive. I would have loved to hunt with him.
Me too though I know he and I are not bred from the same clothe. You for sure could! Us millennial's have truly lost the toughness and grit that seems to have been around just 25-30 years prior.

EyesUp83

the metcalf is a monster pack. you can go a week and pack one out with that thing. it holds 4300 ci.
I would love to get this pack. It is one of the top three currently.

My gear purchases/ upgrades for the coming year will be a good pack of some kind, and possibly a lightweight sleeping bag. Those two things would be huge difference for the 3 day trip.
This year I upgraded Boots (Basic Cabela's boots), socks (80% merino wool), and got a chest harness for bino's.
My "treking pole" is a piece of straightened hickery with a fabricated shooting rest on top and a paracord handle which will need to be redone since the handle cord got used for field dressing, etc.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I will not skimp on is boots. My current pair of Danners weren't cheap, but they've lasted me five years of hunting so far.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I would love to get this pack. It is one of the top three currently.

My gear purchases/ upgrades for the coming year will be a good pack of some kind, and possibly a lightweight sleeping bag. Those two things would be huge difference for the 3 day trip.
This year I upgraded Boots (Basic Cabela's boots), socks (80% merino wool), and got a chest harness for bino's.
My "treking pole" is a piece of straightened hickery with a fabricated shooting rest on top and a paracord handle which will need to be redone since the handle cord got used for field dressing, etc.

I`ve used a homemade walking stick for the last 8 or 9 years now. Mine are always a vine scarred water oak, cut to ength about from the hangydown on my ear to the ground. This length makes it a fine shooting stick, long enough for me to move a 6 foot diamondback off the path and out of my way, and sling a cottonmouth a good 20 feet in whatever direction I want it to go. And maybe it`s my imagination, but at night deer don`t seem to pay me as much mind as they did when I didn`t have to use one. Mine is not for looks. It`s more of a crutch. I`m making me a new one now out of American Chestnut, compliment s of a mighty fine gentleman ight here on the Forum

ddd-shooter

If you get nothing else get the uncompadgre insulation, and the obsidian wool pants, I can’t stop wearing them.
Corrugate guide pants. No insulation, but crazy tough. Couldn’t get the obsidian after I had a buddy tear them in some briars. But I love the corrugates. I’ll wear them for years. Look brand new still after a rough season. Best pockets going and they have a nice stretch throughout. Oh, and they’re good for my long legs. Hate short pants.

jbogg

Oh forgot to mention, @Tadpole23 showed me his Sawyer water filter, it’s the squeeze filter model. Fill a bag with dirty water, screw the filter in, then you can squeeze the bag, or just hang it and let it drip into your clean water bottle. I carry a life straw now, but gonna grab a Sawyer for next season.

I have used the Sawyer filters for about seven years. I’ve had both the mini and the standard version. The standard is much easier to push water through when you squeeze the bladder. Either one will freeze so throw it in the bottom of your sleeping bag when you are camping.

CroMagnum

Corrugate guide pants. No insulation, but crazy tough. Couldn’t get the obsidian after I had a buddy tear them in some briars. But I love the corrugates. I’ll wear them for years. Look brand new still after a rough season. Best pockets going and they have a nice stretch throughout. Oh, and they’re good for my long legs. Hate short pants.
Good to hear. They might be my next purchase. I love my Sawtooth pants but they don't have cargo pockets

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have used the Sawyer filters for about seven years. I’ve had both the mini and the standard version. The standard is much easier to push water through when you squeeze the bladder. Either one will freeze so throw it in the bottom of your sleeping bag when you are camping.
I've got one of the Hydroblu Versa Flow filters that I like better than the Sawyer. Don't use it very often, as I have been drinking straight out of these creeks and springs all my life with no ill effects at all. But, with the number of people tramping around in the mountains now, and beavers running further and further up the watersheds, there are places I don't trust to drink from without filtering.

chrislibby88

Good to hear. They might be my next purchase. I love my Sawtooth pants but they don't have cargo pockets
I’ve got the corrugates, and the obsidians. I almost never wear my corrugates. Yes, I have ripped the obsidians, once on briars, and once on a sharp deadfall limb. My wife sews, and has repaired them. The seat of the obsidians is also wearing a little thin. So yes, they aren’t the most durable, but man they are comfortable in such a wide range of temps that I almost always grab them, especially when it’s warmer or in high exertion. The guide pants do not breath very well. Once the obsidians kick the bucket, I will get more.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
With a few little ones, I cannot afford the high end clothing and have sort of resorted to just the warmest I can get from my closet. I have some cheap but warm camo I picked up off CamoFire. It's virtually no name, but dang it's warm, at least on the bottom. I should've bought the tops too, but was ... too cheap ...

Essentials, I can justify: water filter has been used so many times, sometimes out of neccessity like when I got lost way back looking for a remote brook trout stream which was a killer success, until dark fell and I didn't have snack, water or a light... and was 4.5 miles from the truck. Also the InReach - thank goodness I;ve never had to use it, but the misses feels better knowing I have it.

The other thing is, I am sort of a chicken s**t and don't go in like a lot of you guys and have only ever hunter cohutta once and didn't really go that deep, a few miles at most.

Almost every time I hit the woods I am thinking about what I need and being a new hunter it's a mental battle. I think after 2 seasons and a lot of learning on here and from buddies I am learning the things that are worth it. I don;t use a walking stick, but might after this thread. I also try now to bring a big bag, but again, am reconsidering,...

chrislibby88

With a few little ones, I cannot afford the high end clothing and have sort of resorted to just the warmest I can get from my closet. I have some cheap but warm camo I picked up off CamoFire. It's virtually no name, but dang it's warm, at least on the bottom. I should've bought the tops too, but was ... too cheap ...

Essentials, I can justify: water filter has been used so many times, sometimes out of neccessity like when I got lost way back looking for a remote brook trout stream which was a killer success, until dark fell and I didn't have snack, water or a light... and was 4.5 miles from the truck. Also the InReach - thank goodness I;ve never had to use it, but the misses feels better knowing I have it.

The other thing is, I am sort of a chicken s**t and don't go in like a lot of you guys and have only ever hunter cohutta once and didn't really go that deep, a few miles at most.

Almost every time I hit the woods I am thinking about what I need and being a new hunter it's a mental battle. I think after 2 seasons and a lot of learning on here and from buddies I am learning the things that are worth it. I don;t use a walking stick, but might after this thread. I also try now to bring a big bag, but again, am reconsidering,...
I don’t hunt that deep either, most of my spots are a mile or less.
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get warm clothes. The stuff that is lightweight/packable AND warm is where you start spending money. Look for sales, or cruise hunting forums for used stuff. I’m guessing most of us only buy a few pieces at a time too.
Oh and you don’t need a huge bag. I would never get one of those multi day 4000 ci packs for hunting GA. Get one with just enough room for your gear and a boned out deer. If you aren’t hunting far you can make multiple trips for a large bear. Less weight at once will be a lot safer descending steep slick slopes too. And I’m just a fan of staying as light as possible.
And yes, a single trekking pole or walking stick is a game changer. You’ll be twice as stable, and shifts some of the work to your arm and off your legs. I like the collapsible ones, cause I can slip it pack in my pack when I hit a big huckleberry patch or dense laurel thicket instead of having to lift and weave it through the tangles too.

splatek

UAEC
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get warm clothes. The stuff that is lightweight/packable AND warm is where you start spending money. Look for sales, or cruise hunting forums for used stuff. I’m guessing most of us only buy a few pieces at a time too.
Oh and you don’t need a huge bag. I would never get one of those multi day 4000 ci packs for hunting GA. Get one with just enough room for your gear and a boned out deer. If you aren’t hunting far you can make multiple trips for a large bear. Less weight at once will be a lot safer descending steep slick slopes too. And I’m just a fan of staying as light as possible.
And yes, a single trekking pole or walking stick is a game changer. You’ll be twice as stable, and shifts some of the work to your arm and off your legs. I like the collapsible ones, cause I can slip it pack in my pack when I hit a big huckleberry patch or dense laurel thicket instead of having to lift and weave it through the tangles too.

thanks Chris
Yeah I’m trying to peacemeal pieces here and there. I prefer something tighter since I bow hunt almost exclusively. I have a few walking sticks. But mostly made from laurel. Ill investigate the collapsible ones
thanks man.

CroMagnum

I’ve got the corrugates, and the obsidians. I almost never wear my corrugates. Yes, I have ripped the obsidians, once on briars, and once on a sharp deadfall limb. My wife sews, and has repaired them. The seat of the obsidians is also wearing a little thin. So yes, they aren’t the most durable, but man they are comfortable in such a wide range of temps that I almost always grab them, especially when it’s warmer or in high exertion. The guide pants do not breath very well. Once the obsidians kick the bucket, I will get more.
You may want to consider the Sawtooth pants then. They are more like upland pants as they are reinforced on the front of the legs with a double layer of poly/whatever and the back of the legs have the 37.5 merino blend. So far they've been very durable going through the briars I seem to gravitate to along creekbottoms. Surprisingly, they've been warmer than I thought too with just the Fuse zip-off baselayer

Professor

yes. I have stuff that will keep me warm. I have ww2 navy bibs for arctic seas. but, there is nothing light about them, and they can just about fill a 3000 ci pack. the stuff that you can wad up to the size of a softball really is needed for western pack hunts. otherwise you would need pack animals. my concern about all the gear designed for hunting in the Rockies, is how it will hold up with our rain. I read about guys "hunkering down in some pines" till the shower passes. others just keep moving and hunt through it. neither is an option here. those big semi-freezing rain storms we always seem to get in December in the mountains will end a hunt if you stay in it.

EyesUp83

I`ve used a homemade walking stick for the last 8 or 9 years now. Mine are always a vine scarred water oak, cut to ength about from the hangydown on my ear to the ground. This length makes it a fine shooting stick, long enough for me to move a 6 foot diamondback off the path and out of my way, and sling a cottonmouth a good 20 feet in whatever direction I want it to go. And maybe it`s my imagination, but at night deer don`t seem to pay me as much mind as they did when I didn`t have to use one. Mine is not for looks. It`s more of a crutch. I`m making me a new one now out of American Chestnut, compliment s of a mighty fine gentleman ight here on the Forum
Mine started out as a pretty basic hiking stick that was made by the good Amish folks in Western PA. I just made a few mods to get it how I like it. I've got a couple others and am thinking about making a second "shooting" stick with a slight difference in the handle carving under the paracord and a more acute "V" rest. It's not pretty but was tremendously helpfulon my Cohutta hunt!

Attachments

• Resized_20201202_184133.jpeg
    Resized_20201202_184133.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 12

EyesUp83

I can relate on getting a thing or two at a time. Kids and the wife get the bulk of the cash, LOL. Taking care of the fam is responsibility #1.
As a result of not getting to spend much time in north GA I usually opt for spots deep into the mountains to help ensure more wildlife an less humans... sometimes it works, sometimes not, but always fun. Keeping the pack light is definitely a focus.

chrislibby88

yes. I have stuff that will keep me warm. I have ww2 navy bibs for arctic seas. but, there is nothing light about them, and they can just about fill a 3000 ci pack. the stuff that you can wad up to the size of a softball really is needed for western pack hunts. otherwise you would need pack animals. my concern about all the gear designed for hunting in the Rockies, is how it will hold up with our rain. I read about guys "hunkering down in some pines" till the shower passes. others just keep moving and hunt through it. neither is an option here. those big semi-freezing rain storms we always seem to get in December in the mountains will end a hunt if you stay in it.
I sat for a few hours in heavy rain on Chestatee with my Firstlite rain gear. My body stayed dry, I was warm for the most part. Hands are the weak link in the rain. I wore some hardshell gloves over some wool knit gloves, but they eventually leaked through the leather seams. And you have to watch your sleeve cuffs, if you don’t roll them up your arms they will wick the wet up and your lower arms will be soaked under the rain jacket.
Not all the rain in the mountains is torrential monsoons though. I’ve sat plenty of times in mist and light showers with or without rain gear and been fine.