Mountain gear essentials.

Professor

I sat for a few hours in heavy rain on Chestatee with my Firstlite rain gear. My body stayed dry, I was warm for the most part. Hands are the weak link in the rain. I wore some hardshell gloves over some wool knit gloves, but they eventually leaked through the leather seams. And you have to watch your sleeve cuffs, if you don’t roll them up your arms they will wick the wet up and your lower arms will be soaked under the rain jacket.
Not all the rain in the mountains is torrential monsoons though. I’ve sat plenty of times in mist and light showers with or without rain gear and been fine.
all day light rain I like. it is the inches in minuts that get me. I have to wrap my boots in plastic.

chrislibby88

Professor

@Professor try a compression bag for that navy jump suit. Might be surprised at how tight you can pack it. Here’s the link to the ones I’m using. They have done well for the one hunt I’ve taken them on. Time will tell. I can see the seams busting eventually from cinching the straps down as tight as possible. My heavy bibs and jacket just barely fit in the medium.
https://www.amazon.com/Frelaxy-Comp...t=&hvlocphy=9011177&hvtargid=pla-903997240505
I literally am in the middle of stuffing some clothes in a compression sack to ship them to my son in Arizona. I use them often. Mine are sea to summit.

ddd-shooter

yes. I have stuff that will keep me warm. I have ww2 navy bibs for arctic seas. but, there is nothing light about them, and they can just about fill a 3000 ci pack. the stuff that you can wad up to the size of a softball really is needed for western pack hunts. otherwise you would need pack animals. my concern about all the gear designed for hunting in the Rockies, is how it will hold up with our rain. I read about guys "hunkering down in some pines" till the shower passes. others just keep moving and hunt through it. neither is an option here. those big semi-freezing rain storms we always seem to get in December in the mountains will end a hunt if you stay in it.
Wore my Sitka stratus set this year in the (significant) rain twice. Both times really decent showers, nothing torrential. The first time, I sat in a tree and used the jacket to keep my legs dry. Really didn’t think the rain would amount to much. Was wrong as usual but stuck it out and was very comfortable. I wore my jacket the 3/4 mile back to the truck and when I took it off, it was nearly bone dry. I was shocked. Bought a pair of pants as soon as they went on sale for Black Friday. Wore the whole set last week. Started out in a drizzle, then decent steady shower. Again, completely dry underneath. Shorter walk to the truck that time and the pants were still slightly damp on the surface when I got back.
Both times the temps were around high 40s, 50s. There’s a huge difference in a freezing rain though, and I realize that. I’ve not tried the fanatic set for that, but like has Been said, I’m too lazy or wimpy to desire to hunt in that.

jbogg

The other challenge with rain gear down gear is the humidity. Is there really such a thing as breathable rain gear? Bow season is the worst. I climbed around 400’ and just as I got to my spot the sky’s opened. I quickly threw on my rain gear, but continued to sweat until my clothing was almost as wet with sweat as it would have been in the rain.

chrislibby88

The other challenge with rain gear down gear is the humidity. Is there really such a thing as breathable rain gear? Bow season is the worst. I climbed around 400’ and just as I got to my spot the sky’s opened. I quickly threw on my rain gear, but continued to sweat until my clothing was almost as wet with sweat as it would have been in the rain.
They can only be so breathable before they stop being water repellent. Wear wool underneath, at least you’ll still be sorta warm when it’s wet.

Joe Brandon

I’ve never tried a saddle. That weight has me very interested though.
Yeah man I will let you know! The climber was just to heavy, to bully, and to loud. I've been hunting alot of bedding areas this year and I really need to be as mobile as possible. The steps I got look amazing and only weigh a pound each.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I know the sticker shock of high quality gear can be a deterent.

I bought a set of gortex rain gear in 2003 for a caribou hunt. Im mostly a fair weather hunter so i dont use it alot here. Its been too the arctic circle. Its survived horse back hunts in B.C. and Kyrgyzstan. Its kept me warm on the top of wind swept mountains in the west. Its still as good as the day i bought it.

And Jbogg,
Is it breathable? It supposed to be. Maybe that depends on your definition of breathable. In my opinion. NO

Stump06

Ever since I discovered pit zips and hip zips on clothing its a feature I look for. It makes a big difference in the ability to dump heat

Jason F

Which mystery ranch?

I have a MR Sawtooth as well as a MR Beartooth (bag only) as I can swap the bags back and forth on the same MR Guide Lite MT frame.

The Guide Lite MT Frame is pretty awesome with the load carrying shelf capability, and having 2 bags gives me options for a day hunt (or 1-2 overnight) with the Sawtooth, or if I have a lot of gear or more days in the field I can go to the Beartooth for extra capacity.

And yes, a couple contractor bags in your pack is essential!

Buckman18

One thing I will not skimp on is boots. My current pair of Danners weren't cheap, but they've lasted me five years of hunting so far.

What kind of Danner's do you have?

I'll be getting a new pair soon and can't decide between Powderhorn or Pronghorn.

Ive always been an Irish Setters man but im gonna try Danner.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of Danner's do you have?

I'll be getting a new pair soon and can't decide between Powderhorn or Pronghorn.

Ive always been an Irish Setters man but im gonna try Danner.
I don't remember offhand, but they're light, waterproof, warm, durable, and comfy.