Distilling for personal use...

davel

I looked it up and got a little confused about the law passed in 2018. Can I legally distill alcohol for personal consumption at home? It says you can get a free permit to distill fuel alcohol. Don't like how they left that one open for interpretation.
Thanks for the info!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
What about if you want to make your own hand sanitizer?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You can get a permit for that purpose.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No. Not without a whole lot of red tape and permits to operate a licensed distillery. Distilling whisky in any amount for any reason is a felony.

HughW2

Another example of govt overreach. Why is it home beer and wine making is all the craze and yet a micro distillery will get you locked up by the revenue agents? Crazy.

For that matter how much trouble would you get into in most states if you got caught with some marijuana growing in your basement with a grow light?
Twisted goofy world we live in.

greg_n_clayton

Actually the law states you can own a still and it can be any size. You are allowed to distill all sorts of things except drinking alcohol for some reason.
Tell that to a local guy here that just bailed outta jail a few months ago for possession of one !!

greg_n_clayton

Actually the law states you can own a still and it can be any size. You are allowed to distill all sorts of things except drinking alcohol for some reason.
I know of 2 in the last year !

davel

Tell that to a local guy here that just bailed outta jail a few months ago for possession of one !!
He was arrested for the quantity of liquor he made not the still. Look it up a still is not illegal. Making liquor to drink is apparently.

greg_n_clayton

He was arrested for the quantity of liquor he made not the still. Look it up a still is not illegal. Making liquor to drink is apparently.
I am telling you the charge was possession of a still apparatus on the jail inmate list ! It wasn't running and they had no likker.

davel

I just looked it up and found this:
In the state of Georgia it is legal to own a still as long as the still is not used to distill spirits or to manufacture moonshine. A still can be owned and operated to distill water, essential oils, vinegar, etc. As long as the end product is not ethanol.

Shadow11

Most deputies around here don't mind if you make a little to drink or share with buddies. Not saying there may not be some dip stick that will get you, but most of them have more important things to go after.