Distilling for personal use...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It ain't the local deputies that I'm worried about. lol
Yep. The feds will spent $10,000,000 to make a case on somebody making $100 worth of likker.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Shadow11

Yep. The feds will spent $10,000,000 to make a case on somebody making $100 worth of likker.
I wouldn't doubt that one bit, but still, I don't think even the fed's priorities are that messed up, now a days, with all of the crimes that are taking place in 2021.

Thirty plus years ago, sure. They didn't have anything better to do. Things were still halfway decent back then. It's not the same anymore. There are way too many "bigger" things for them to be doing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't doubt that one bit, but still, I don't think even the fed's priorities are that messed up, now a days, with all of the crimes that are taking place in 2021.

Thirty plus years ago, sure. They didn't have anything better to do. Things were still halfway decent back then. It's not the same anymore. There are way too many "bigger" things for them to be doing.
They're still raiding around here. Shot a guy a couple years ago near here when they came to raid his still. The IRS and ATF are always serious. You don't have to believe me, think what you want. I've known a lot of folks in my life who went to prison for it, though.

Shadow11

They're still raiding around here. Shot a guy a couple years ago near here when they came to raid his still. The IRS and ATF are always serious. You don't have to believe me, think what you want. I've known a lot of folks in my life who went to prison for it, though.
Wow. That's hard to believe, but I can believe it. Those guys are about as nuts as nuts can get.

Back to the original poster... I've tried making BlackBerry wine before. If you use enough sugar, you can get it fairly strong. I've never tried making moonshine, but I've tried it a few times. Too strong for me. Seems like a lot of work also.

Making wine is a lot of work too. What I hated the most was the filtering process. It took a lot of hours to propearly filter it. I decided after try number 2... I was done. It had a high alcohol volume, if that's what you want, but no thanks for me.

specialk

making a few gallons every now and then in your garage for you to sip on ain't gonna' get you in trouble if you don't put your business on the street. But NCHB is correct, if you try and mash in a few hundred gallons every month to sell for profit then you going to get a ride to the big house!!

Shadow11

making a few gallons every now and then in your garage for you to sip on ain't gonna' get you in trouble if you don't put your business on the street. But NCHB is correct, if you try and mash in a few hundred gallons every month to sell for profit then you going to get a ride to the big house!!
Right. Everyone knows someone that makes a little bit.

There isn't going to be many ppl getting into any kind of trouble for making a little drink for home use, like nchb said. It's the same thing with marijuana now days. Almost no one gets in trouble for having a little marijuana on them anymore. It's the large quantities that they look for, but they are mostly looking for the bad stuff like meth labs and such.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Right. Everyone knows someone that makes a little bit.

There isn't going to be many ppl getting into any kind of trouble for making a little drink for home use, like nchb said. It's the same thing with marijuana now days. Almost no one gets in trouble for having a little marijuana on them anymore. It's the large quantities that they look for, but they are mostly looking for the bad stuff like meth labs and such.
They will bust you for a little bit if they hear of it. The key is to keep your mouth shut about it, something that a lot of folks seem incapable of. :) If you're not selling it or talking about it, it's unlikely anybody will ever know about it.

greg_n_clayton

Nope. Not in GA. Legal to own a still.
Two men stand charged with possession of a moonshine steel apparatus and possession and use of drug-related objects. The Rabun County Sheriff’s Office reports that on May 29, 2020, an investigation was opened and arrests were made. Arrested on the charges were 33-year-old Samuel Mark Hopkins of Tiger and 38-year-old Sean Ostas of Tiger. They were booked into the Rabun County Detention Center on the two charges.

I guess it was false arrest as far as the still ??

greg_n_clayton

Don’t think it becomes a crime to own one till you make likker in it...
Why the Hades would anybody want one if they ain't gonna use ! There is another one before that one. But he has kin on here....so ain't posting that article from the local paper.

davel

It doesn't say they were arrested for just the possession of the still...I'm sure there is more to it than that.
You can own a still to distill other things besides likka. Read my previous post about legal in Georgia to own a still.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Two men stand charged with possession of a moonshine steel apparatus and possession and use of drug-related objects. The Rabun County Sheriff’s Office reports that on May 29, 2020, an investigation was opened and arrests were made. Arrested on the charges were 33-year-old Samuel Mark Hopkins of Tiger and 38-year-old Sean Ostas of Tiger. They were booked into the Rabun County Detention Center on the two charges.

I guess it was false arrest as far as the still ??

Yes. False arrest.