Duke 550 vs Bridger #2 Dogless

280 Man

Banned
Im about to buy a few more traps. I run MB-550's but these things are hard to find right now. However, I have found a source and will probably buy the MB's but Im looking at the Duke 550 and #2 Bridger dogless.

For those that have used both what do you think about these?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have a very short trapping career but when I bought my traps I bought some of all 3 . And caught coyotes in all 3 , the Bridger bent on the first coyote but he was a big one and a snatcher , just bent one of the sides , didn’t notice it til I tried to set it back , it straightened out with some pliers . The duke 550 seemed to be pretty comparable to the mb 550 . I just ordered another dozen of the dukes from southern snares , they had the mb 550 listed as out of stock

280 Man

Banned
I have a very short trapping career but when I bought my traps I bought some of all 3 . And caught coyotes in all 3 , the Bridger bent on the first coyote but he was a big one and a snatcher , just bent one of the sides , didn’t notice it til I tried to set it back , it straightened out with some pliers . The duke 550 seemed to be pretty comparable to the mb 550 . I just ordered another dozen of the dukes from southern snares , they had the mb 550 listed as out of stock

Gonna give um a shot. Im fixing to order a few Duke 550's. From my research most people think highly of them. Midway has them on sale and free shipping.

furtaker

I wish the Duke 650 was legal in Georgia. It's a good looking trap. I like a large trap for coyotes and wish Georgia would change the law.

I heard that MB is working on a new dogless trap that should be out by the summer. Supposed to be around the same size as the 550, maybe slightly bigger.

280 Man

Banned
I wish the Duke 650 was legal in Georgia. It's a good looking trap. I like a large trap for coyotes and wish Georgia would change the law.

I heard that MB is working on a new dogless trap that should be out by the summer. Supposed to be around the same size as the 550, maybe slightly bigger.

Its not legal in SC either, except for water sets.

mossyoakpro

I have not tried the Duke 550 but the Bridger dogless are nice traps but they are rough on the feet unless laminated. I mainly run MB 450 with a mixing in of the MB 550. If you can stomach the price the K9 Extreme Jr is a tank of a trap and should last a lifetime....they were just not cup of tea for some reason.

furtaker

I have not tried the Duke 550 but the Bridger dogless are nice traps but they are rough on the feet unless laminated. I mainly run MB 450 with a mixing in of the MB 550. If you can stomach the price the K9 Extreme Jr is a tank of a trap and should last a lifetime....they were just not cup of tea for some reason.
I've caught coyotes, cats, and fox in fully modified (dog on) Bridgers. I like them. They're good traps. 550s are good too. Never tried the 450s.

I mostly use inside laminated 650s now. I love them. My only complaint is that they can be rough on feet sometimes...even on coyotes. The K9 Juniors have tempted me several times but I haven't tried any yet. I heard that pan tension can be a major issue.

Coyote traps are kinda like deer rifles to me. I always want to try something different even when what I'm using ain't broken. facepalm:

280 Man

Banned

Ive got one Bridger #2 and they are rough on feet. I'm not about to laminate anything. For what it would cost to "upgrade" lesser traps I can just buy MB550's. I got a good deal on those Duke 550 pro's I bought and from the reviews I read they seem to a good trap. Guess I'll find out when I get them "hunting".

I've caught coyotes, cats, and fox in fully modified (dog on) Bridgers. I like them. They're good traps. 550s are good too. Never tried the 450s.

I mostly use inside laminated 650s now. I love them. My only complaint is that they can be rough on feet sometimes...even on coyotes. The K9 Juniors have tempted me several times but I haven't tried any yet. I heard that pan tension can be a major issue.

Coyote traps are kinda like deer rifles to me. I always want to try something different even when what I'm using ain't broken. facepalm:

I looked at that those K9's but for 30 dollars per trap I felt like some one owed me a cigarette and a drink for just looking...LOL

furtaker

Ive got one Bridger #2 and they are rough on feet. I'm not about to laminate anything. For what it would cost to "upgrade" lesser traps I can just buy MB550's. I got a good deal on those Duke 550 pro's I bought and from the reviews I read they seem to a good trap. Guess I'll find out when I get them "hunting".

I looked at that those K9's but for 30 dollars per trap I felt like some one owed me a cigarette and a drink for just looking...LOL
They're cheaper than that...FnT is carrying them now...21 bucks and some change I think.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Inside laminated 650 measures 5 3/4 inside —its legal

Georgia ain’t gonna change the law anytime soon IMO. If they do try trust me there about a 90% chance the end result will be not good

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Hear cavens is suppose to be coming out with a trap in 2021 called an Alpha 3.... basically a dogless 550
That should be sweet
Hope the inside is a little bigger though

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I said Duke 650. I use the MB 650.
Ok. Sorry. Haven’t looked at dukes 550 have bought a few through the years other sizes just not crazy about them

deermaster13

We've got a bunch of the Dukes and they work fine. I got to liking the sleepy creek 1 and 3\4. Dad takes and needs the springs up. For some reason I really like how they bed.

mossyoakpro

Secret to the K9 Extreme is bow wax...hit the trigger with it before you set it and it's good to go. I never could warm up to them for some reason. They are very nice traps and I have nothing bad to say about them, they were just not for me.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Oh goody...more traps to buy!! LOL
Yeah I was gonna get a few Bridger 2 dogless to try but I may hold off and see what this looks like. Probably don’t do much if any canine trapping this year

furtaker

I read that the new MB dogless is supposed to be for sale in September. It's a good looking trap but if the $300/dozen price is correct, I'm gonna take a hard pass.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I read that the new MB dogless is supposed to be for sale in September. It's a good looking trap but if the $300/dozen price is correct, I'm gonna take a hard pass.
I’m looking at the no b s extreme juniors