Whatcha packing?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Mine is similar minus the thermocell, first aid, map, and orange flagging.

Add benadryl in case of bee stings or snake bite, food n drink, lifestraw, and I use TP for blood trails. Instead of game bags, I use trash bags for meat - during bow season im usually within an hour of the vehicle because of temperatures and meat spoilage.

A note on the bone saw. I have one, always. But if I'm packing, I'm de-boning. Much less weight.

Make sure your pack has EMPTY SPACE. You'll need it if you score.

X2 on TP for blood trail. Nothin better.

splatek

UAEC
My woman recently bought me a phone case that has an embedded charger. I can run down to 20-25% three times and recharge fully. I also carry a back up portable charger for my headlamp or phone or in reach.

Like had been said I was going to add bic lighter. I feel like I keep one of those things every where I might find myself.

I get the argument for great gear, Sitka , first lite, canis, forloh, but dang that gear is expensive. I’m hoping to be on the ground more again this year. I can get pretty affordable merino layers and then toss my ghillie over top. At least in theory that’s what I’m thinking.

I’m also running a Sawyer mini water filter. I’ve put it in line on my bladder that way I can just fill my bladder with creek water and keep moving.

I also like @Joe Brandon ’s thinking: don’t bring in the pack out pack assuming that you’ll be successful when the odds usually are stacked against us/me. I’m still debating on this one, but maneuvering thru laurel and Ivy with a pack could be a major pita.

Can’t believe we are almost there and I’m still thinking about what to pack. What have I been doing all off season ?

jbogg

My woman recently bought me a phone case that has an embedded charger. I can run down to 20-25% three times and recharge fully. I also carry a back up portable charger for my headlamp or phone or in reach.

Like had been said I was going to add bic lighter. I feel like I keep one of those things every where I might find myself.

I get the argument for great gear, Sitka , first lite, canis, forloh, but dang that gear is expensive. I’m hoping to be on the ground more again this year. I can get pretty affordable merino layers and then toss my ghillie over top. At least in theory that’s what I’m thinking.

I’m also running a Sawyer mini water filter. I’ve put it in line on my bladder that way I can just fill my bladder with creek water and keep moving.

I also like @Joe Brandon ’s thinking: don’t bring in the pack out pack assuming that you’ll be successful when the odds usually are stacked against us/me. I’m still debating on this one, but maneuvering thru laurel and Ivy with a pack could be a major pita.

Can’t believe we are almost there and I’m still thinking about what to pack. What have I been doing all off season ?

My kill kit consists of three or four game bags, two knives, a Bonesaw and some rubber gloves. It probably weighs around 2 pounds. I have gone back-and-forth on whether to carry this every time, and have always decided that I will. Here’s why. If I was only hunting within a quarter-mile of the truck then clearly it’s no big deal to circle back and grab whatever you need to take care of the bear. However, if you’re 2 miles in with a combined 1200 feet of elevation gain and loss then it’s not so easy as just running back to the truck to grab your knives and game bags.

If you know for certain that you will have a buddy or two that can help you get the bear out then no big deal. However, if you are solo then you really do have to plan strategically. My goal is to skin and quarter and then hang the meat in the shade while I pack out the head and hide in my first trip out. Then once at the truck I will leave all my climbing gear, grab my meat pack and make a second trip in for the meat. I always seem to end up hunting way further in than I should, but I’m a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:

ddd-shooter

My kill kit consists of three or four game bags, two knives, a Bonesaw and some rubber gloves. It probably weighs around 2 pounds. I have gone back-and-forth on whether to carry this every time, and have always decided that I will. Here’s why. If I was only hunting within a quarter-mile of the truck then clearly it’s no big deal to circle back and grab whatever you need to take care of the bear. However, if you’re 2 miles in with a combined 1200 feet of elevation gain and loss then it’s not so easy as just running back to the truck to grab your knives and game bags.

If you know for certain that you will have a buddy or two that can help you get the bear out then no big deal. However, if you are solo then you really do have to plan strategically. My goal is to skin and quarter and then hang the meat in the shade while I pack out the head and hide in my first trip out. Then once at the truck I will leave all my climbing gear, grab my meat pack and make a second trip in for the meat. I always seem to end up hunting way further in than I should, but I’m a glutton for punishment.
FYI, some western states you cannot remove head and hide until meat has been removed. Also, most have proof of sex requirements, and different meat taking requirements (some require you to remove ribs, some just four quarters, etc)

Totally irrelevant but your process reminded me. I also could never imagine a scenario where I didn’t have a knife on my person. EVER. Of ALL the possible items I could take in the woods, a knife is the ONE thing I will never leave out.

ddd-shooter

Use black ovis for merino. Black Friday, get “your woman” to buy you one piece of sitka. Like a stratus jacket. Then update once a year on sale. Won’t take long.

Christian hughey

From what I can tell, nothing in any 1/2 day pack mentioned thus far would help you in that situation. Except a map and a snack. Lol
Handheld GPS are fairly inexpensive. I have yet to even pull it out except playing around with it to make sure it actually works but it is a good feeling to know it's in the pack if I absolutely need it along with spare batteries. When you get deep off the trail alot of times this ridge can look like the next one leading in a completely different direction give yourself every advantage. If I'm completely oblivious to the area I will print off a small areal view and of course a compass. I would say that is most important. I surely don't wanna read any sad stories about good buddies that didn't make it out there. We are a few days out now and alot of us will be hitting the woods. Be safe and good luck!!!

jbogg

FYI, some western states you cannot remove head and hide until meat has been removed. Also, most have proof of sex requirements, and different meat taking requirements (some require you to remove ribs, some just four quarters, etc)

Totally irrelevant but your process reminded me. I also could never imagine a scenario where I didn’t have a knife on my person. EVER. Of ALL the possible items I could take in the woods, a knife is the ONE thing I will never leave out.

Since the Georgia DNR requires the head and Hide to be packed out and presented I didn’t think they would care what I packed out first. I guess I will double check on that. I hunt out of a hybrid tree saddle that is probably more similar to a climbing stand. It has built-in chest straps and a hip belt and will carry some weight but not a ton which is why my second trip would be with my meat pack to carry the heavy load.

Professor

Since the Georgia DNR requires the head and Hide to be packed out and presented I didn’t think they would care what I packed out first. I guess I will double check on that. I hunt out of a hybrid tree saddle that is probably more similar to a climbing stand. It has built-in chest straps and a hip belt and will carry some weight but not a ton which is why my second trip would be with my meat pack to carry the heavy load.
The animal has to be quartered before the head is removed. I have seen nothing that says I can not pack the head and hide out first. I packed my big eight-pointer's head and cape, along with the loins out first last year. I left the quarts hanging by string to drain some blood. I know a bear might take the meat, but a bear would destroy the head as well. A two-legged visitor may well take the head and rack (after liberally covering the forest floor with beer cans of course). If someone takes my hanging quarters then I figure it would be because they need the meat more than I do.

Last edited:

Professor

Kill kit: nitrile gloves, two contractor bags, old pillowcases, 30 ft of paracord, Havalon Knife with extra blades. I also carry a fixed blade knife.
Compass
iPhone with onX
Power bank to recharge phone
Baofeng Dual Band Transceiver with 15-inch flexible antenna
Repel 98% DEET
Bandana
Small first aid kit
Two Zeiss lens wipes
Flashlight with extra batteries
Headlamp with extra batteries
Browning ****'s Canyon Javelin gloves
Lightweight camo hood
Leupold BX-2 Alpine glass in a T&K Hunting Gear harness
1.5-liter bladder full of water
Food and/or snacks depending on the hunt duration and distance to camp
Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter System if overnight
USGI surplus chemical containment suit for raingear

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The animal has to be quartered before the head is removed. I have seen nothing that says I can not pack the head and hide out first. I packed my big eight-pointer's head and cape, along with the loins out first last year. I left the quarts hanging by string to drain some blood. I know a bear might take the meat, but a bear would destroy the head as well. A two-legged visitor may well take the head and rack (after liberally covering the forest floor with beer cans of course). If someone takes my hanging quarters then I figure it would be because they need the meat more than I do.

Only problem I see in your plan is that bear meat, more so than deer meat, needs to be cooled and put on ice very quickly to reduce the chance of spoilage. Temps in September, even here in the mountains, are usually warm enough to necessitate expedient handling of bear meat. While you're taking out the head and hide, the best wild game meat in the woods is spoiling.

Professor

Only problem I see in your plan is that bear meat, more so than deer meat, needs to be cooled and put on ice very quickly to reduce the chance of spoilage. Temps in September, even here in the mountains, are usually warm enough to necessitate expedient handling of bear meat. While you're taking out the head and hide, the best wild game meat in the woods is spoiling.
warm weather for any animal is a different story. That is my deer approach in December. A bear hide I am not so concerned about losing.