Does burning nests matter?

Does destroying turkey nests with late rx fire matter?

• Yes

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • I’m not sure

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters

buckpasser

Everyone here probably knows my opinion on this as it’s voiced pretty often. I want to know what the GON faithful think. Does destroying turkey nests for the sake of late rx fire matter? Is it your opinion that the benefit of the burn might outweigh the negative? Why would you rather burn late than early? Can burn objectives be met prior to clutches of eggs being on the ground? Let us know!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I voted yes . I see no reason to burn late when I think the same things can be achieved with a February burn . But I’m not in the timber business or land management . I do know the big land owners around me that I know care about the wildlife and timber burned this year in February or very early March , even the Corps of engineers .

Piggy06

There are habitat advantages to both dormant season and greenup burns. Yes you may lose a few nest to greenup burns but they do reset your habitat which can benefit your turkeys for the next few years.

ssramage

I'm a huge proponent of fire, but common sense tells me that burning the ground, while turkeys are nesting on the ground, is a bad idea.

It seems like the biggest argument I hear is that if a hen loses her nest, she'll just bed again and make another. Seems like we'd be trying not to make it harder on them... I'd be curious to know the data on success of secondary breedings and hatches after losing the first.

buckpasser

Forestry was supposed to burn my property in January. Still waiting

If you’re waiting on GFC, you may be waiting for quite a while unfortunately…

Right now they’re sending Rangers and Chief Rangers out of state to battle wild fires instead of doing their in state work to pad the budget with federal dollars.

Reactions: Kev

buckpasser

There are habitat advantages to both dormant season and greenup burns. Yes you may lose a few nest to greenup burns but they do reset your habitat which can benefit your turkeys for the next few years.

What’s the best habitat advantage of a late burn over early in your opinion?

buckpasser

I'm a huge proponent of fire, but common sense tells me that burning the ground, while turkeys are nesting on the ground, is a bad idea.

It seems like the biggest argument I hear is that if a hen loses her nest, she'll just bed again and make another. Seems like we'd be trying not to make it harder on them... I'd be curious to know the data on success of secondary breedings and hatches after losing the first.

The rule of thumb is that the second nests chances of success are cut in half.

sportsman94

I think one of the arguments for later growing season burns is it kills off sweet gums. Not sure when you have to burn to achieve that though

chrislibby88

Yes, burning nests does matter, research shows that renesting or late nesting hens are less successful. Does the harm of burning nests out-weigh the benefit to the habitat for overall turkey numbers? Can’t say.

buckpasser

We did a burn Mar 4th. I hope that was early enough to avoid nesting. Interestingly the turkey pics I am getting are crazy. We are infested with them. Hope to see some poults soon.

Where I am, I have a hard deadline of March 7 to complete all burns by. That is based on the first poults I see each year. That, in theory will keep me from burning very many, if any nests. I’m glad your work is paying off!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I’m no Einstein but I’m pretty sure burning existing nests isn’t in the turkeys best interest.

Not to mention if they survive it's easier for the predators to find the nest and eat the eggs.