Things to do while in Chicago

oldfella1962

Went there for a few days maybe 15 years ago after the kids saw the movie Ghost and the Darkness.
#1 Chicago Field Museum is home to the lions from the movie Ghost and the Darkness among other amazing things recommend getting a Chicago dog from a street vendor outside
#2 Museum of Science and Industry
#3 Navy Pier home of the Billy Goat Tavern restaurant from the original SNL cast skit Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. No Coke Pepsi
#4 Wrigley Field
#5 Lincoln Park Zoo
Lots more to do there but that's all I remember currently.
The Shedd Aquarium. (y)

LTZ25

There sounds like some neat things to see in that city , but it's the citizens that are the problem .

slow motion

There sounds like some neat things to see in that city , but it's the citizens that are the problem .
Like any city always areas to avoid but by and large people are people. Some good some bad. Don't let anyone keep you from enjoying what our great country has to do and see. At least that's how I see it. To each their own.

georgia_home

It’s been a long time. But if they’re still open, these two places use to be very good… but a bit $$$. Both steak joints.

the chop house
the butcher shop

The butcher shop would let you pick your steak from a display case and choice of Cook it yourself or they cook. If you’re the picky type, DIY And it’s just the way you like it. 3 or 4 beers by the grill. …

Baroque Brass

things to do in Chicago

1. have a friend with you so he can watch your 6

2. prepare spare magazines for your 1911

3. put 911 on speed dial. ( to report the results of your 1911)

4. have return ticket purchased and in your wallet

5. be sure to stay out of the southside
About forty years ago Jim Croce said the south side of Chicago is the baddest part of town. Can’t imagine what its like now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
things to do in Chicago

1. have a friend with you so he can watch your 6

2. prepare spare magazines for your 1911

3. put 911 on speed dial. ( to report the results of your 1911)

4. have return ticket purchased and in your wallet

5. be sure to stay out of the southside

#1. Don`t go.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Only time I enjoyed going to Chicago was to watch my nephew graduate Naval Academy at Great Lakes.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My son has to fly up there for his work on occasion, staying a week at a time. He can`t stand it. Naturally, I don`t either and will never go. Looks like I will have to Atlanta one more time in life, but that`s another city I can`t stand.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Also, there are no Bojangles up there. It is basically a biscuit-free zone.

oldfella1962

My son has to fly up there for his work on occasion, staying a week at a time. He can`t stand it. Naturally, I don`t either and will never go. Looks like I will have to Atlanta one more time in life, but that`s another city I can`t stand.
If you really have to go to Atlanta one more time, don't delay if you can help it. Why? Because it seems to get worse every day. :(

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you really have to go to Atlanta one more time, don't delay if you can help it. Why? Because it seems to get worse every day. :(

We are planning on flying to Fairbanks next year to visit. We`ll be flying from the little airport in Albany to Atlanta, and on from there.

I don`t like cities much. Don`t like towns much either.

oldfella1962

Also, there are no Bojangles up there. It is basically a biscuit-free zone.
:LOL: I haven't been back to that area for so long I can't imagine what restaurant & store chains they have. What is weird is just for fun I researched who lives in houses myself or my family members or friends used to live in Lake County Illinois. Most are now occupied by Hispanics. o_O I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Cook County/Chicago always had a large black population, but adjacent Lake County was starting to trend Hispanic even when I was a kid, but now it's heavily Hispanic.

Just think, in 100 years or so both counties will be heavily Chinese if America keeps dropping the ball at every opportunity! :LOL:

BeerThirty

if you do have to go to Chicago, at least go to a Portillos restaurant and get a sliced beef sammich or hot dog.

oldfella1962

We are planning on flying to Fairbanks next year to visit. We`ll be flying from the little airport in Albany to Atlanta, and on from there.

I don`t like cities much. Don`t like towns much either.
I can't speak for 2023 Fairbanks, but 1983 Fairbanks was not too overwhelming. Anchorage however definitely has a "big city" feel to it. If you go to Fairbanks between May and September the weather is great. :) It's far from the ocean so it rarely rains or gets windy, and it's not at a high elevation so you don't get extreme day/night temperature variations.
There's still no freeway traffic to contend with either. The cost of living is high, but if you're just visiting that won't hit you too hard. It just costs a lot to transport goods so far, and the further you get from the bigger towns & cities the more expensive it gets. In small Native American villages that are way, way back in the boondocks things are really expensive.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I can't speak for 2023 Fairbanks, but 1983 Fairbanks was not too overwhelming. Anchorage however definitely has a "big city" feel to it. If you go to Fairbanks between May and September the weather is great. :) It's far from the ocean so it rarely rains or gets windy, and it's not at a high elevation so you don't get extreme day/night temperature variations.
There's still no freeway traffic to contend with either. The cost of living is high, but if you're just visiting that won't hit you too hard. It just costs a lot to transport goods so far, and the further you get from the bigger towns & cities the more expensive it gets. In small Native American villages that are way, way back in the boondocks things are really expensive.

We`re going to Fairbanks simply because it is closest to what we want to see-the animals, rivers, mountains, lay of the land, the Arctic Refuge. I almost went in 1974, to homestead somewhere in the Chandalar River area. Before I die I`d like to see just what I missed.