Shoulder injury recovery

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It is tough to keep up with the exercises when you get depressed about the injury. Thanks for the advice.
The injury is behind you. Let it stay there. Focus on your recovery and challenge yourself to be stronger than ever.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Back in November I fell and injured my right shoulder. Have gone through PT since then and now they finally did the MRI. Have two torn tendons around my rotator cuff. Right shoulder of course and I am right handed. They are now probably going to operate. I haven't drawn a string since November and was hoping to get back into bow hunting this Spring. Has anyone had this same problem and if so how long did it take to get to the point where you could bow hunt again or at least shoot at a target?
Hurry and get it fixed! Then have patience! Lots of patience! I just had total reverse shoulder replacement on Feb 13. First two weeks was nothing but healing…..and trying to pass the time and be as comfortable as possible! I wish I had a recliner but had to make due with the sofa, and I’m still sleeping on it. I carefully took my arm out of the sling after a few days just to straighten out my elbow a touch, then right back in! After two weeks the bandaid came off, X-ray looks good and now I can start PT. I’ve Been doing PT everyday working on range of motion which is already way better than before….way better!. I never really had pain just tightness. It’s still tight and it seems like every time I start my excercises I’m starting from scratch again. Mar 27, I get to take off the sling, then start smaller activities and start building strength. I am an impatient person and it’s hard to keep from getting ahead of myself and my recovery.
In my PT sessions there are a few guys that had shoulder repairs, and I’ve come to the conclusion that recovering from a repair is more difficult than a replacement like I’ve had. Every case is different so Be patient and do the PT! I am amazed how many folks have gon through this and come out on top, like we will! I do believe we’ll both be shooting a bow again!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Never tried to be a lefty could be interesting.
I’m a lefty, but with a bad right shoulder, I’ve had to shoot right handed…..I’ve only been shooting a bow for 2.5 years. I was unable to hold a bow in proper position with my right hand, but plenty strong enough with my left. But at full draw, I couldn’t get my right hand into a good anchor position. I’ve actually had to hold the bottom of my release and raise it up in order to line up my peep & sight.
I don’t know that I’ll be able to get my right hand into proper position even when I’m 100%. But I do think I’ll be able to hold a bow with my right hand and shoot lefty. Of course, I don’t have a left handed bow facepalm: but I’m windows shopping for them. Still have a long way to go before I’m slinging arrows from either side, but the day will come!

ddd-shooter

I’m a lefty, but with a bad right shoulder, I’ve had to shoot right handed…..I’ve only been shooting a bow for 2.5 years. I was unable to hold a bow in proper position with my right hand, but plenty strong enough with my left. But at full draw, I couldn’t get my right hand into a good anchor position. I’ve actually had to hold the bottom of my release and raise it up in order to line up my peep & sight.
I don’t know that I’ll be able to get my right hand into proper position even when I’m 100%. But I do think I’ll be able to hold a bow with my right hand and shoot lefty. Of course, I don’t have a left handed bow facepalm: but I’m windows shopping for them. Still have a long way to go before I’m slinging arrows from either side, but the day will come!
There’s a left handed bow classifieds section of archery talk.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
There’s a left handed bow classifieds section of archery talk.
I’ve been looking and adding some posts…..I have enough I can get in touch with a seller now if I see something I like. Honestly, I’d prefer something I can adjust at hom without a press. I need to slow down a bit though. I was given the go ahead on the bow by my wife for my birthday at the end of this month so one hurdle down :rockon:

Soybean

1678815233908.png

I use one of these year round (3-4 days a week) to keep me in shooting shape and solidify muscle memory. this thing is awesome. it might be a good way to ease yourself back into the game. disclaimer - i am not a medical professional :)

i still use a wrist release so in order to orient my arm/wrist in the same way while doing the exercises, i cut the top of a plastic coat hanger. i hold the cut portion in my palm and the hook sticks out between my index and middle fingers. the hanger will stretch out after awhile but i usually get 3-4 months out of one then toss it and cut another.

1678816254212.png

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
View attachment 1215312

I use one of these year round (3-4 days a week) to keep me in shooting shape and solidify muscle memory. this thing is awesome. it might be a good way to ease yourself back into the game. disclaimer - i am not a medical professional :)

i still use a wrist release so in order to orient my arm/wrist in the same way while doing the exercises, i cut the top of a plastic coat hanger. i hold the cut portion in my palm and the hook sticks out between my index and middle fingers. the hanger will stretch out after awhile but i usually get 3-4 months out of one then toss it and cut another.

View attachment 1215323
That’s pretty cool soybean! I think I’ll be making one here real soon. I held one of my bows with my right hand just to hold it out to the side and it’s still too heavy. I shouldn’t be doing that anyway as strength training doesn’t start til March 27th………still in the r healing and stretching phase

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Do some research into peptides. Particularly BPC157 and TB500. If you are in otherwise good health, there is little to no risk in their use and the combo has been known as the "wolverine protocol" among athletes and body builders for the near miraculous healing results for arthritis, tendinitis, sprains, strains and tears in tendons, ligaments and muscle.
It’s kind of expensive, but it is a short term thing and I could use all the help I can get right now. I ordered a pill version off eBay….made in USA coming from NC. It took just a few minutes to find lots of info and I don’t see any downside other than the $100 for a 1-2 month supply.

westcobbdog

I tore my rotator cuff, labrum and bicep in both shoulders at different times. It doesn't take as long as you'd think to get back in the game. Maybe three or four months. I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of shape you are in prior to the injury. I dropped my poundage down to 45 lbs when I started back. I enjoy physical therapy about as much as I enjoy going to the dentist, but I do think that it's critical that you do it. Good luck
Have that trifecta you spoke of, unfortunately for around 10 yrs. Popeye bisep too. Finally go to hot shot surgeon who recommends therapy first. I do that every day as in use it except throwing past 10 ft hurts. Yeah it hurts daily and I use an x bow if I want to bow hunt.

trad bow

I’m at ten weeks since surgery. Fourteen weeks since the first surgery. I still have a lack of movement in certain directions with pain. Pt said most of it is stretching the muscles and tendons back in shape after such a long layoff. I’ve had a lot of injuries with my right shoulder. Three Rotator cuffs surgeries on that shoulder alone. Toss in a staph infection that destroyed muscle tissue around the shoulder during my first rotator cuff surgery makes some direction of movements tough. I start the day with a cup of coffee and then doing my home therapy. Need to stretch my shoulder muscles a couple times each day.

Ihunt

I’m at ten weeks since surgery. Fourteen weeks since the first surgery. I still have a lack of movement in certain directions with pain. Pt said most of it is stretching the muscles and tendons back in shape after such a long layoff. I’ve had a lot of injuries with my right shoulder. Three Rotator cuffs surgeries on that shoulder alone. Toss in a staph infection that destroyed muscle tissue around the shoulder during my first rotator cuff surgery makes some direction of movements tough. I start the day with a cup of coffee and then doing my home therapy. Need to stretch my shoulder muscles a couple times each day.
I’m selling my brand new Thunderchild because of shoulder issues. Trying to stay away from shoulder surgery. That mess scares me a little

earlthegoat2

I would go to some furniture stores and buy the best recliner you are willing to afford. It’s going to be your bed for a bit so it will be worth it to get a good one.

Embrace the suck and learn to love PT.

Go down in bow weight or use a crossbow for a season. I’m sure someone around would loan you one.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I just got released back to work after 3 months from the date of surgery. I had total reverse shoulder replacement. I saw so many folks at PT that have had tendons reattached or tried to work through rips and tears with just PT and I am sooo glad I had this surgery! The pain never was above maybe a 3, and it was better than before surgery even a month ago! I have been slacking lately, with weekend trips to bama and ky. But I busted my tail out the gate doing PT at home everyday! The doctor said I did better at PT than maybe 99% of his patients. My strength isn’t 100% for sure, still stretching etc…but this is gonna be long term! I probably could shoot my bow, but am in no hurry and it’s too heavy to shoot left handed(right shoulder surgery). I am confident enough i will be able to by deer season, so I’ve already bought a lefty bow! I can always go back to right handed like before, but I’m a lefty and left eye dominant.
Total Reverse Shoulder Replacement! Getcha one and get rid of the pain!

8FD08FF3-115B-453D-A0F5-36A0259625A1.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thi
I would go to some furniture stores and buy the best recliner you are willing to afford. It’s going to be your bed for a bit so it will be worth it to get a good one.

Embrace the suck and learn to love PT.

Go down in bow weight or use a crossbow for a season. I’m sure someone around would loan you one.
This too! I had to use the couch and would loved to have a recliner! The first two weeks were the worst….cause you do Nothing! I did have the advantage of being a lefty so I didn’t have to switch hands to wipe, drink coffee etc…..if you have surgery on your dominant it will present more challenges than I had for sure!

ryanh487

Thi

This too! I had to use the couch and would loved to have a recliner! The first two weeks were the worst….cause you do Nothing! I did have the advantage of being a lefty so I didn’t have to switch hands to wipe, drink coffee etc…..if you have surgery on your dominant it will present more challenges than I had for sure!
How's the BPC157 you tried working for you? Seem to help at all?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How's the BPC157 you tried working for you? Seem to help at all?
I can’t say fr sure, but I feel great and just got released with no restrictions. 3 months after surgery and really , just need to keep strengthening. Any strains I’ve encountered were very short lived and never nagged. I’d take it again and will finish the bottle I got…maybe another weeks worth.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Full thickness tear on my right rotator cuff and fully detached right bicep August 12th last year. Had surgery on Sept. 28th, started PT on Oct 30th, got released on March 28th. 98% full recovery on range of motion, working on replacing muscle loss now.

Do your PT religiously both at home and with you therapists, it will make all the difference.

Haven't tried pulling a bow yet.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Full thickness tear on my right rotator cuff and fully detached right bicep August 12th last year. Had surgery on Sept. 28th, started PT on Oct 30th, got released on March 28th. 98% full recovery on range of motion, working on replacing muscle loss now.

Do your PT religiously both at home and with you therapists, it will make all the difference.

Haven't tried pulling a bow yet.
I decided to wait a lil longer before I start pulling on the bow too……the few times I did it, my shoulder said “don’t do that”. I’m hoping to shoot lefty, correctly, but my bow is still to heavy with an extended right arm.
My battle right now is to keep working on strength. When you feel as good as I do, which is great, you gotta keep pushing!

Had my reverse done March 8th and I will be back in the saddle come September!! Therapy,Therapy,Therapy...
:rockon: YASSS! No doubt raising my tether is gonna be easier than before! I went back to work Monday and it was 3 months to the day, no restrictions.

The doctor was gonna give me more time and asked me if I wanted to “ease” back into it. But I’m good and can control how much I physically do at work, for the most part. No time to let up though!

trad bow

That sounds great Bfriendly. I’m at three months also but headed back to the surgeon today as the consensus with the pt folks and me is that my shoulder has failed again. I shall see