Red stag taken

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Way to go Richie! Woohoo! That’s pretty cool!

Deernut3

Thats awesome for that lucky hunter. Makes me wonder about the one a couple years ago west of augusta.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Makes me wonder about that small herd of bison that escaped from their pasture right on the edge of Fort Gaines back about 15 years or so ago. They got into the river swamp and disappeared. I imagine several somebodies ate good for a while.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That's pretty cool. Wonder how many have escaped the high fence places and have made it out here in the world?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
How would DNR fix the turkey problem?

Why can't hunters fix the turkey problem?
They reduced the season and limits for starters last year..

basshappy

BANNED
Hunters aren’t biologist. Generally speaking hunters just wants to hunt and kill turkeys. If hunters could solve the problem there wouldn’t be a problem now ..

Hunters are humans, with brains and the capability to think, observe, read, and even research though. I don't believe you need to be a biologist to understand, plan and act.

According to GA most hunting land in GA is privately owned. We do what we believe we can do on our part to potentially help the turkey population on our land - we don't bait deer in other words we aren't feeding coons corn or anything sweet. We know coons love eating turkey eggs and that is where the greatest threat is - the nest and the eggs. I believe I have read 40-60% of eggs never "make it" due to predation coons, snakes, etc.

https://georgiawildlife.com/hunting-permissions

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Quoted for effect:

Sir you are mis informed and I will leave it at that. If it was that simple to fix it would have already been fixed. Dnr and state biologist have more knowledge on specifics than any of us.. I would appreciate you not quote me on this issue any further. have a good day sir

Nice try but you seem to be inadequately informed. You have chosen to make a post in a public forum. Those posts are quotable by other members within the rules here. You may chose to leave your posts up or to remove them but you may not chose who can quote them once you have made them.

The member who quoted your post made some valid points, none of which should have harmed your feelings. If you disagree then quote him back and refute his points. We recently had a member who qot all worked up when some members took exception to some of his posts. He deleted some of his stuff and went away, at least he said he went away.

Liberty

I think the small game problem including turkeys is correctly and easily blamed on the coyote’s return, along with loss of habitat including less overgrown areas between fields from more efficient farming. I remember many more quail and rabbits as a young man in the early 80’s. We need to go from an open season on coyotes to a true eradication program that includes chemical methods.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I think the small game problem including turkeys is correctly and easily blamed on the coyote’s return, along with loss of habitat including less overgrown areas between fields from more efficient farming. I remember many more quail and rabbits as a young man in the early 80’s. We need to go from an open season on coyotes to a true eradication program that includes chemical methods.

If coyotes are to blame, why haven't they wiped out the turkeys in Texas, Oklahoma,, Kansas, and all the other western states? And why haven't they done the same everywhere else since the last Ice Age?

Coyotes are not to blame for the drop in the turkey population. Truth be known they do more good for them than harm.

Quoted for effect:

Nice try but you seem to be inadequately informed. You have chosen to make a post in a public forum. Those posts are quotable by other members within the rules here. You may chose to leave your posts up or to remove them but you may not chose who can quote them once you have made them.

The member who quoted your post made some valid points, none of which should have harmed your feelings. If you disagree then quote him back and refute his points. We recently had a member who qot all worked up when some members took exception to some of his posts. He deleted some of his stuff and went away, at least he said he went away.
I agree he made some valid post and I know folks can do as you stated. You can ask a specific person not to quote on something. However you can’t make anyone do nothing.. I simply ask and he respected my wishes . Thanks inadvance. Good day sir

ddd-shooter

If coyotes are to blame, why haven't they wiped out the turkeys in Texas, Oklahoma,, Kansas, and all the other western states? And why haven't they done the same everywhere else since the last Ice Age?

Coyotes are not to blame for the drop in the turkey population. Truth be known they do more good for them than harm.
Nic is right, coyotes can easily exist in a balanced eco system.
The problem is, we don’t have much of that anymore.
Invasive grasses, mono cultures of agriculture, monocultures of timber, lack of prescribed fire, urban sprawl, fragmentation of the landscape, and lack of habitat RESTORATION, all lead to declines in wildlife.

Only humans would be so full of hubris as to come in to a balanced and properly designed ecosystem, change nearly EVERYTHING and expect no negative consequences.